The Student Room Group
Reply 1
well that depends doesnt it. if you want to go into the direct sphere of your degree as a career then the employers will recognise universities on the merits of their courses quality not the university as a whole. Obviously if u wanna do something else with your degree then its a bit interesting, likewise for oxbrigde who may not offer the most useful courses but have the brightest people and alot of respect as an institution
Reply 2
Unregistered
what do people value more. how a university has performed at your chosen subject or how they perform as a university? one of the offers i have received a 24 for american history but is in the 40 's in the league table and another university is higher in the league table but wasnt in the subject league table. i'm considering my offers...

Id look at www.education.guardian.co.uk this has an interactive guide to universities and is subject specific. Although I must say I dont agree with everything on there - it is a guide.
Reply 3
Id try to go for something that is a happy medium. Quite a good uni with quite a good course rating. Employers like to know that the uni you have gone to is a good one but obviously it is equally beneficial for you to go somewhere with a decent course.
Reply 4
mjf
Id look at www.education.guardian.co.uk this has an interactive guide to universities and is subject specific. Although I must say I dont agree with everything on there - it is a guide.

Try

http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2003/0,13330,956807,00.html

Then choosing your course from the list to get the universities rankings. Regards.
Reply 5
I know.. got that problem too. Applied to do Law at Keele-- its pretty good in the Times tables for Law but crap in the general table..
Reply 6
Elle
I know.. got that problem too. Applied to do Law at Keele-- its pretty good in the Times tables for Law but crap in the general table..

I know what you mean. The league tables are somewhat misleading, in one league, it could be the best, in another it could be bottom. I have enclosed an attachment, have a look, it shows the league position of the UNIs
Reply 7
Elle

You have to look at both. Although, as a general rule, you're more likely to be mislead by the subject tables. Better still compile your own table, based on what you're looking for. I'd pay most attention to the average A level grades obtained, it's easily the most reliable figure. It's simple, if the course/uni were not particularly good, why would they attract so many A grade students?
Reply 8
J.S.
I'd pay most attention to the average A level grades obtained, it's easily the most reliable figure. It's simple, if the course/uni were not particularly good, why would they attract so many A grade students?

Hmmm... maybe... but when ppl apply to uni they dont know if the course is good , do they? So they apply to one which is high in the league table, so those unis end up with better average A level grades! Thus they are caught up in a kind of benevolent whirlwind!
Bhaal85
I know what you mean. The league tables are somewhat misleading, in one league, it could be the best, in another it could be bottom. I have enclosed an attachment, have a look, it shows the league position of the UNIs

If I had to choose between good rep for ur specific subject or good rep as a uni I would choose the latter.

But as said, try going halfway.
Reply 10
Hmmm... maybe... but when ppl apply to uni they dont know if the course is good , do they? So they apply to one which is high in the league table, so those unis end up with better average A level grades! Thus they are caught up in a kind of benevolent whirlwind!

hmmmm...possible. However, If a course has a 100 people, several hundred usually apply for that course to get a straight A average. Of course, they could all be wrong, but cmon, you're not giving them much credit, are you?? Besides, even if theyre wrong, the most important academic consideration for me would be to be surrounded by highly capable people.
Reply 11
I chose Cambridge as firm (general prestige) and Bath as insurance (tops subject table).
The Telegraph table of Tables includes an Employer ranking (which differs quite considerably with the times, telegraph FT and guardian tables). You have to register with the telegraph to get access but I've tried to attach it to this post (however it's an image file so might not attach - if it doesn't I'll upload it to my yahoo photo account)
heres a link

It's the secind picture there
Reply 14
Pencil Queen
heres a link

It's the secind picture there

Aren't these comparisons based on overall positions though rather than individual subject tables?
Unregistered47
Aren't these comparisons based on overall positions though rather than individual subject tables?

Yes - the employer table (the only one publically available) is based on the opinions of a large number of graduate recruiters who recruit regardless of subject.
Reply 16
elle i have the same problem as you. keele came high for my subject but is not all that in the uni league table. essex isnt showing in the subject league table but is higher in the league table. i'm stuck with having to choose with one or the other. UEA didnt want me! sigh!
Reply 17
22 Unregistered
elle i have the same problem as you. keele came high for my subject but is not all that in the uni league table. essex isnt showing in the subject league table but is higher in the league table. i'm stuck with having to choose with one or the other. UEA didnt want me! sigh!

Aww.. what subject are you applying for? I want to do Law (or Law and Politics at Keele). I guess if their both difficult choices then you should just choose one that you think has a better social life or something..

..Ive decided I'm against league tables- I mean I think its better to get a 1st at Keele than a 3rd at LSE..
Reply 18
Elle
Aww.. what subject are you applying for? I want to do Law (or Law and Politics at Keele). I guess if their both difficult choices then you should just choose one that you think has a better social life or something..

..Ive decided I'm against league tables- I mean I think its better to get a 1st at Keele than a 3rd at LSE..

I've lectured against them for 13 years; though they have more meaning than in the early days.

Perhaps these points help people with your dilemna.

1. Few Universities have a reputation in specific subjects that is widely recognised and acknowledged (regardless of the reality) as being way out of line with the University standard overall. Employers do recognise those, but we're only realistically looking at the top few in each subject. For example 30 in subject, 50 in University- treat as 49!!

2. Degrees are not the same as subjects- many varied degrees may exist within the subject group assessed, and areas such as research do not always feed through to improving teaching standards- you will nearly aways have some of your teaching from outwith the main body of the subject group.

3. Yes, as pointed out a first is a first is a first- again with the exception of a handful of elite Universities.

4. Do consider the tables, but consider more whether the environment suits you- campus or town; urban or rural, traditional or modern, social life, 'style', what are the facilities etc. Where will you live. You cannot begin to imagine how much more important these things are to your success and future happiness- so visit the University not the press!

Best of luck to all

Rob

Latest

Trending

Trending