The Student Room Group

Which university for computer science?

I’ve applied and got all of my 5 offers back I got offers from Leicester, Leeds Beckett, Lincoln, Huddersfield and York St. John. I’ve looked at league tables but they all seem to be ranked quite differently. I’m unsure which one would be the best for computer science.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Help7281
I’ve applied and got all of my 5 offers back I got offers from Leicester, Leeds Beckett, Lincoln, Huddersfield and York St. John. I’ve looked at league tables but they all seem to be ranked quite differently. I’m unsure which one would be the best for computer science.

How are you measuring "best"? Best social life? Best location? Best accomodation? Best student satisfaction? Best graduate prospects? Best sports facilities? Best reputation?
Reply 2

League tables are pretty meaningless particularly as you could find the same university on one table at say 15th, another table at 20th and another at 40th.

I would say simply list the pros and cons of each university. Visit them if you can. If one offers a year in industry then that is definitely worth a lot of bonus points as experience is invaluable.

Hi @Help7281

As @DataVenia says, a University can be seen as 'best' in a few categories and worse than other unis in other categories, as well as how you see them subjectively.

Think about what is important to you when choosing to study somewhere- is it what is taught on the course? Or is it the university and campus itself.

If you have any questions about Huddersfield that would help you come to a decision (even if for or against us), just let us know and we'll try our best to answer them for you.

Many thanks,
Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield

Hi @Help7281

I would advise you to read more about how that course will be taught at each university, see how the teaching and assessment style might differ. Also, see what the city is like, as you are not only picking a degree to study for next few years but also where you will be living. Speak to current students and ask questions about the things that matter to you. See if there are certain opportunities that some universities offer, for instance University of Leicester offers a year in industry or year abroad as part of the degree.

You can find the Course description, teaching and assessment style at University of Leicester here.

Let me know if you have any questions about the university or city as I am a current student at the university! 🙂

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending