The Student Room Group

Photography interview info needed!

I applied to do photography at Uclan and I have my interview in a few weeks, as I applied through route B. Im just wondering what the interviews are like with this type of course? Il be fine if its just a normal one on one interview where I can talk through my portfolio, but my mate applied for fashion last year and had a group interview, which I would definatly not like to do. Is this normal? Or am I to expect a normal one on one interview?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Adget87
I applied to do photography at Uclan and I have my interview in a few weeks, as I applied through route B. Im just wondering what the interviews are like with this type of course? Il be fine if its just a normal one on one interview where I can talk through my portfolio, but my mate applied for fashion last year and had a group interview, which I would definatly not like to do. Is this normal? Or am I to expect a normal one on one interview?

Thanks in advance!

My interview for Nottingham Trent was a group one. However this is one of the only photography courses that do this as far as I'm aware. But if you do find yourself in a group, it's really not as bad as you think. Other applicants will be lovely and supportive as you're all in the same boat.

You're likely to be asked to talk through your work in your portfolio - the subject, it's meaning, what influenced you, what you like about it, why you chose to include it in your portfolio and perhaps even what, if anything would you change if you were shooting it again. If you have any sketchbooks/ideas books they may flick through it just looking at the way you work. I've never been asked to talk through my books, nor been asked any questions about them but you might be.

Sometimes they won't want to look/hear about every single photograph in your portfolio. You may be asked to choose your favourite and least favourite images there to talk about.

Be prepared to talk about photographers/artists that inspire you and why. Also any exhibitions you have been to lately or any books you have read. Also feel free to talk about anything that inspires you - whether that's a particular film director, a sculpture or the way the windows steam up on the bus as you go to work when it's raining outside.

As well as photographic based questions you are quite likely to be asked about yourself - what you like doing other than photography, your motivations, the types of books you like to read, the films you like to watch, what newspapers you read.

Talk lots; don't answer questions with one word, elaborate and explain everything. Be enthusiastic, make eye contact with your interviewer and smile. Good luck.

Latest