The Student Room Group

should i disclose this in interview?

Hello guys,

I hope you are well. Need some interview advice.. I've been unemployed for about 8 months due to some severe health issues so I have a gap in my employment, how should I go about disclosing this in an interview?

I don't want the interviewer to assume I wasn't working for no reason but equally I don't want to be pressured to reveal sensitive personal info if its not yet required.

thanks
Original post by lifelearningx23
Hello guys,

I hope you are well. Need some interview advice.. I've been unemployed for about 8 months due to some severe health issues so I have a gap in my employment, how should I go about disclosing this in an interview?

I don't want the interviewer to assume I wasn't working for no reason but equally I don't want to be pressured to reveal sensitive personal info if its not yet required.

thanks

Could you not say that you were not working "due to some severe health issues", exactly as you've done here? No potential employer is going to pressure you "to reveal sensitive personal info".

They may, however, be keen to establish whether these health issues are ongoing or likely to resurface, and so may ask a question in an attempt to solicit that information. That won't be specific; it's more likely to be, "Oh, I'm sorry to heard that. I assume you're all fit and healthy now and ready to get back to work?"

If the issues are in the past, then you might be better to make that clear the outset: "due to some severe health issues, which are now fully resolved".
Original post by DataVenia
Could you not say that you were not working "due to some severe health issues", exactly as you've done here? No potential employer is going to pressure you "to reveal sensitive personal info".

They may, however, be keen to establish whether these health issues are ongoing or likely to resurface, and so may ask a question in an attempt to solicit that information. That won't be specific; it's more likely to be, "Oh, I'm sorry to heard that. I assume you're all fit and healthy now and ready to get back to work?"

If the issues are in the past, then you might be better to make that clear the outset: "due to some severe health issues, which are now fully resolved".

I agree. I was going to say the same myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending