The Student Room Group

does sim free/unlocked mean that it'll work anywhere in the world

Hi,
can you please tell me if a mobile phone is described as 'sim free' or 'unlocked' does that mean it'll work in any country in the world. my mum wants to buy a mobile phone for a relative in the UAE (middle east) and she has decided on a Nokia N95. I looked it up, one on Amazon says 'sim free' and one in Play says 'unlocked' and also do you know any other good online stores for cheap phones?

safe
I don't think so?
I thought it meant that you could put a sim of any network into it.
Not sure if that answers your question?
Unlocked means that you can put a sim card of any network in it. Most phones work most places in the world, but for some phones/countries you'll have to check.
Reply 3
It means you can use any network sim card in it. However I think it is still restricted by the 'band' of the phone (dual-band, tri-band)as to what countries the phone will work in. I'm not entirely sure about the different bands as I've only ever used my phone in Europe, so you'll have to look into that, unless someone else is all knowing here.
i know that sim free/unlocked means that any sim card can work in it, but i want to know if it'll work in the middle east
Prokaryotic_crap
i know that sim free/unlocked means that any sim card can work in it, but i want to know if it'll work in the middle east

Ask your network provider or phone manufacturer.
'uunlocked' phones won't be tied to a particualr netowrk/ service provider , so as long as there is the correct frequency and type of service available pop a sim in and off you go.

the presence or absence of correct GSM bands or even a GSMservice can be a factor ( as there a places in the world where CDMA 2 g systems were the default)
Reply 7
Yes, Unlocked / SIM Free are the same thing.

The phone will work fine in the UAE as 2G is provided in the 900/1800Mhz band on the GSM system, and 3G in the 2100Mhz band, by "Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company PJSC (du)" and "Emirates Telecom Corp-ETISALAT".
Reply 8
Unlocked means you can use any sim in it. But for it to work anywhere in the world you need your phone to be quad band, triband is for america (N&S), asia europe africa I think and dual band is UK and USA. It is based on that I'm not entirely sure but look up those different bands.
Reply 9
pow1990
Unlocked means you can use any sim in it. But for it to work anywhere in the world you need your phone to be quad band, triband is for america (N&S), asia europe africa I think and dual band is UK and USA. It is based on that I'm not entirely sure but look up those different bands.

I explained it above mate, it will work.

You give a generalised picture which isn't correct. Its more complicated than that I'm afraid.
Reply 10
I have friend who is working as an phone technician, he told me that the sim/free unlocked iphone you can use it anywhere in the world. you can update the firmware with no problem.
Reply 11
morefun
I have friend who is working as an phone technician, he told me that the sim/free unlocked iphone you can use it anywhere in the world. you can update the firmware with no problem.

Your friend is confused and wrong.
Reply 12
Minardi
Yes, Unlocked / SIM Free are the same thing.

The phone will work fine in the UAE as 2G is provided in the 900/1800Mhz band on the GSM system, and 3G in the 2100Mhz band, by "Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company PJSC (du)" and "Emirates Telecom Corp-ETISALAT".

Sorry I cannot see how this is less complicated than my explanation. I was simply answering the first part of the question and you were concluding that it would work in UAE.
Reply 13
pow1990
Sorry I cannot see how this is less complicated than my explanation. I was simply answering the first part of the question and you were concluding that it would work in UAE.

Sorry, I was refering to the second part about where phones work. I meant to snip it, I'll explain myself a little better.

To work anywhere you need quad band - No, it will work in almost all countries yes, but it won't work in, for example, Japan. There are a few others who don't use GSM too, but they slip my mind.

"triband is for america (N&S), asia europe africa" - Not strictly correct. For nationwide coverage in the US, and most of the S. American countries you'll need a quad band phone. Some countries will need a quad band phone and nothing esle. Others a standard UK dual band phone will work OK. In Europe a Dual Band phone is all thats needed, so a standard UK mobile is fine. It gets more complicated in Asia, some countries, like Japan, require 3G 2100, some countries have compeltely oddball standards, some require quad. Its a bit nuts.

"dual band is UK and USA" - Definelty wrong, as I say above, you'll need a quad band in the US, they use GSM 850/1900 dual band wheras over here & in Europe its generally GSM 900/1800 dual band. 3G is in weird and woderful bands such as 850, 1700 and 1900!
Reply 14
OK :smile: your correct I was just stating out the top of my head so I did make a mistake ! Sorry !
Reply 15
pow1990
OK :smile: your correct I was just stating out the top of my head so I did make a mistake ! Sorry !

No worries, just setting you straight.
Reply 16
snu
Your friend is confused and wrong.

really? can you tell us here what's with sim free/unlocked means?

Latest

Trending

Trending