The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics (Have an offer) atmosphere

Hi. I have an offer from LSE for economics and also from warwick, notts and southampton, and rejection from cambridge (trinity hall).

Education before anyone asks:
GCSE: 7A*s and 5As
A-levels: maths (A). physics eco and chem (on course for an A)
As-level: as FM (on course for an A) and crit think (A)

Now i know most people will be like it is stupid to reject LSE but i beleive i will have a better time at nottingham (even ahead of warwick). I think the atmopshere at notts will suit me more as i can get to know everyone almost like family. However, LSE does not give me that impression. I know long term LSE will set me up but i would appreciate some comments from current LSE students about the atmosphere.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A friend of mine rejected Warwick to go to Sussex for the same reasons.

Any London uni, but especially LSE, is Chinauni. Like everytime you look around 7 in 10 people are Chinese/Japanese/Taiwanese and so on
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
TeDaX

Any London uni, but especially LSE, is Chinauni. Like everytime you look around 7 in 10 people are Chinese/Japanese/Taiwanese and so on

that's a racist comment.

personally, i think there is an advantage studying with those "Chinese" in prestigious univ (Oxbridge, LSE). Try to "networking" with them, you'll never know who they are or who they're gonna be.
Reply 3
rick89
that's a racist comment.

personally, i think there is an advantage studying with those "Chinese" in prestigious univ (Oxbridge, LSE). Try to "networking" with them, you'll never know who they are or who they're gonna be.

I don't see how that's a racist comment. It's so true. Plus I never said it's not an advantage, or that it won't mean lots of chances for networking, it's just that I'd feel a bit weird studying in Britain with so many Eastern Asian people around.
TeDaX

if that's true, i am damn happy man. I am a chinese. hoho.
Reply 5
sad core
if that's true, i am damn happy man. I am a chinese. hoho.

Though you don't seem to speak Chinese...
TeDaX
Though you don't seem to speak Chinese...

i wouldn't want to either. I won't be speaking mandarin in LSE definitely.
Reply 7
it's only 3 years, the benefits of LSE lasts a lifetime
Reply 8
When you leave LSE, you are set for life. Simple.
rick89
that's a racist comment.

Its not racist in the slightest. Its fact.
rick89
that's a racist comment.

LOL how the hell was that comment racist? He's more or less stating a fact.
In most cases, I'd say you should look at non-academic factors when deciding. But this is Economics at LSE, come on.
ninety_nine
no single degree is better than LSE Econ (which is why so many seem to have turned down Cambridge in favour for it this year).

better in terms of course quality or reputation? your argument is untenable on both counts.

also, barely anyone has turned down down cambridge for lse.
Reply 13
I think you should visit all for yourself.

People do say LSE doesn't have a great social life but others say it is what you make of it, and I agree. You will find people there who will share your interests.

The lecturers are top of their game. The library is first class. The course is unbeatable. The material is all online. The lectures are videotaped and available online in case you miss one. You're in a competitive environment where you can comfortably strive to fulfill your potential. There's also less direct pressure than I think you would have faced at Oxbridge where they pile on essays every week. I think LSE is geared for independent learners.

It's got a student union. And you would be in London which is probably the best place to be a student if you can afford it. Theatre to clubs, you name it London has got it.

I think if you're intelligent you will make the place suit your lifestyle.
Reply 14
Tyrotoxism
better in terms of course quality or reputation? your argument is untenable on both counts.

Oh no that's certainly not true. I know of 6 people personally from 2005-7 entry who have done just that! And they have told me many on their course did the same (or at least Oxford E+M) It's fairly equal to Cambridge for economics. Those I know who chose Cambridge over LSE had a very, very, very hard time making the decision. They all did it in the end because 'Cambridge is Cambridge' and what they saw as a better social life. Though the ones that chose LSE preferred London and didn't care much about academic prestige and what laymen thought, as long as they secured a job in IB at the end of the day.
Tyrotoxism

it's got a bigger name in the financial sector i think but not too sure. People do turn down cambridge for LSE although the majority don't because of the omg it's oxbridge mentality. Guy called Jan, who is pretty damn successful atm, turned down cambridge for LSE.
Reply 16
rick89
that's a racist comment.

Its not racist, You're using the word inappropriately. It can be harder to make friends with people of different cultures and those who don't speak English as well, i think that's what he was getting at.
Please please please, go to LSE.
:smile:
ninety_nine
I meant it's reputation in the financial sector. I implied that the two are seen as at least being equal in this respect.

Really? I've heard of quite a few. Have a look on the LSE Freshers 2009 group on Facebook and a few people seem to have made this decision. Admittedly, more people still pick Cambridge over LSE, but more than you might expected seemed to do the opposite this year.

i see. i agree, but i'd say this only applies to a few select course (economics being one of them).

with regards to your second point; perhaps my anecdotal evidence isn't too representative then.

TerryTerry
Oh no that's certainly not true. I know of 6 people personally from 2005-7 entry who have done just that! And they have told me many on their course did the same (or at least Oxford E+M) It's fairly equal to Cambridge for economics. Those I know who chose Cambridge over LSE had a very, very, very hard time making the decision. They all did it in the end because 'Cambridge is Cambridge' and what they saw as a better social life. Though the ones that chose LSE preferred London and didn't care much about academic prestige and what laymen thought, as long as they secured a job in IB at the end of the day.

my bad. they're both excellent for economics and from an objective viewpoint it would be hard to put one above the other, i suppose.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
it's got a bigger name in the financial sector i think but not too sure. People do turn down cambridge for LSE although the majority don't because of the omg it's oxbridge mentality. Guy called Jan, who is pretty damn successful atm, turned down cambridge for LSE.

i wouldn't say it has a bigger name but that its student body is far more ib-focussed, definitely not a bad thing, though.

jan actually did maths at cambridge for a year before realising that he was in such high demand (and couldn't network efficiently in cambridge) so he had to move to london. he's a very special case, though. very, very, very, very few are headhunted to the extent jan was.

Latest

Trending

Trending