The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Loughborough

I am currently at Uni, and have been working hard and I have got all firsts in exams and assignments so far.
However, I want to transfer to another University , even to start first year again.
I have emailed Loughborough and also Cambridge.

Loughborough said they would be able to consider me for first year on a good first yr peformance and Cambridge said also, though I would not be able to start Cambrige until 2010.

I am doing and want to continue to do Electronic/Electrical Engineering, do you guys think Loughborough is just as good as Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Come on Cambridge is by far the better uni for engineering. Cam are world renowed for thier tuition espescially in maths and engineering!
smarch
do you guys think Loughborough is just as good as Cambridge?

no
Reply 3
smarch
I am doing and want to continue to do Electronic/Electrical Engineering, do you guys think Loughborough is just as good as Cambridge?

No.
Reply 4
i've heard bad things about cambridge's engineering department from the standard they set. id look into loughborough. cambridge isnt all that.
Reply 5
Lobo is very good for Engineering. Overall, it really does not compare to Cambridge.
Reply 6
Only Imperial can be as good as Cambridge for engineering. lol... Loughborough is pretty good but Cambridge is more reputable and consecutively the course there is going to be much harder. Ah and Cambridge has no Electrical, you will have to do general for two years before you start specializing if that is some kind of factor. Loughborough is pretty good though so if Cambridge dont offer you a place in the end you will feel alright here :smile: good luck

edit: if there is a course that Loughborough can come close to Cambridge in terms of reputation among industry that would be engineering (I dont think cambridge have sports science :] ) but still ...
Reply 7
Mate! Wait for Cambridge. It's worth the wait. You can flourish there on many levels, not just in your field of study. It's the boll****!
Reply 8
the distance the sun is from nepture is the difference between these two universities. One is evidently miles away from the other other.
Reply 9
smarch
I could go to Lboro, then if i get accepted into Cambridge in 2010, then consider it, but if i don't then just carry on withLboro.

Be careful about switching unis because some can a be bugger about it, just make sure you check it out beforehand.

Btw, where are you at now?
smarch

do you guys think Loughborough is just as good as Cambridge?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - are you serious?
Reply 11
smarch
hmm only thing is, I don't particularly want to go to London. The thing that draws me to Loughborough is that it's not only good for Engineering, but that it is a campus Uni and has lots of sports faciliies on hand.
From your experience doing engineerig at Lboro, how would you rate it?

Cambridge isn't in London. Look at a map.

EDIT: never mind :tongue:
Reply 12
ashy
Cambridge isn't in London. Look at a map.

I think he was talking about Imperial.
Reply 13
Dijobla
I think he was talking about Imperial.

Ahahaha. I should read next time :tongue:

Imperial is teh sex, though.
Reply 14
smarch
hmm only thing is, I don't particularly want to go to London. The thing that draws me to Loughborough is that it's not only good for Engineering, but that it is a campus Uni and has lots of sports faciliies on hand.
From your experience doing engineerig at Lboro, how would you rate it?

Well, I am doing Aeronautical which is not in the same department. I am more than happy with the course and the uni, couldnt really expect much better. I have a friend doing Systems in year 3 and most of his modules are part of the Electrical Department - he loves it and he is doing a one year placement at BAe Systems (secured on the spring careers fair of year 1!). He said he is happy with course and it should be very similar to electrical as it is in the same department more or less so I'd say the course should be okey. Everything else I would say is good except that the town becomes boring after an year or two but that doesnt bother me because I will have more than enough work to keep me busy :smile: good luck
Reply 15
smarch
I could go to Lboro, then if i get accepted into Cambridge in 2010, then consider it, but if i don't then just carry on withLboro.

cheers fo the replies

Sounds like a plan. Best of luck
Reply 16
smarch
Thanks dude. Though I would be 21 by that time, would it be worth starting first year again you think? I hate getting older:frown:

Yes, why be in a rush and 21 years is definitely not that old for a uni student. You will still be plenty young enough to enjoy all the social life to the full. There's all ages at university these days, some much older than 21!
Reply 17
smarch
Well I wouldn't be too bothered with the town, as long as it's a friendly place and got decent pubs and the union is decent I'd be happy.
It sounds cool, the campus looks like a brilliant place to live, though if you got an offer from Cambridge, would you have taken it?

Well pubs - there are 3-4 pubs in town, that many clubs, some 2-3 bars on campus with food, drinks and big tv screens. Union is okey, has the stuff you need, the town and the campus are friendly, accommodation is alright, people are generally nice (you will find exceptions everywhere, but at least most people here are not cocky which is great as I hate cocky people). Cambridge should be well good place to study but it is just not for me - it is very very demanding there and you have to put all your effort - as one guy said 5 hours every day, 12 hours on the weekends is what hes doing for his engineering degree. The most I can make myself to do outside exams periods is 2/3 of that and it would simply be not enough to survive at Cambridge. If you want to be pushed to the limit (which of course is going to be great for your academics knowledge) Cambridge is the place to be but it certainly isnt for everyone :smile: I dont say here it is easy, but Cambridge's course is just harder, especially when it is general engineering and you have to be good all rounder which is quite tricky. It is really down to personal choice :smile: Hope that helps
Reply 18
Cambridge for electronic, Loughborough's electronic engineering department isn't that great, if you were doing Mech Eng then it would be a tougher decision but Cambridge would still win.
Reply 19
if you were doing Mech Eng then it would be a tougher decision but Cambridge would still win.

lol? what is that supposed to mean :smile: you can always switch BEng for MEng if you are getting good grades.oh and why is the electrical department here not great? I dont say it is Cambridge class but it is still pretty good compared to other unis in the UK. I mean if you have some kind of actual proof...because based on what I know about the department it is actually very reputable in the industry and the course has high student satisfaction rating (2nd to Cambridge)

Latest