The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Worried about getting rejected

Basically, I have received conditional offers from Surrey, BBB and Loughborough, AAB being the required grades for chemical engineering. I have done my A level exams this year (I'm doing cambridge international), and I have underperformed. For AS Level last year I achieved ABB, however this year I did horribly due to stress and other factors, and I am expecting ABD at least. I have no hope of getting into Loughborough as my grades are way below what they're asking for, but I just want to inquire about Surrey and if they can be lenient, as I am expecting to meet the required grades for two of my subjects. Also, if I dont get into the Bachelor's course, would there be hope for getting differed to Foundation year? Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by sara2811
Basically, I have received conditional offers from Surrey, BBB and Loughborough, AAB being the required grades for chemical engineering. I have done my A level exams this year (I'm doing cambridge international), and I have underperformed. For AS Level last year I achieved ABB, however this year I did horribly due to stress and other factors, and I am expecting ABD at least. I have no hope of getting into Loughborough as my grades are way below what they're asking for, but I just want to inquire about Surrey and if they can be lenient, as I am expecting to meet the required grades for two of my subjects. Also, if I dont get into the Bachelor's course, would there be hope for getting differed to Foundation year? Thank you!

Remember grade boundaries are adjusted when papers have been marked so yu cannot 'estimate' your grades. Please don't worry - there will be a place somewhere for you.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
First of all, I applied to Loughborough too. First time seeing someone else apply there. Now about the question, I don't know if you are gonna get the offer (because I'm not the admissions office) but if you are willing to go to a different uni, clearance is still an option. The grade requirements for clearance tend to be lower. I hope you get your unis tho, you did the exams and there is no reason to stress about it now.
Original post by sara2811

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't do as well as you hoped, but please try not to worry as these would still be amazing grades and there are options available to you. It's also important to prioritise your well-being as well as your studies.

I can't say for certain but in cases like yours, where a candidate is close to meeting the required grades and has demonstrated potential, the admissions team may exercise some flexibility. Universities can also offer places through clearing at lower grades.

It really varies from year to year, but if it would help, I would encourage you to reach out to our admissions team (more info here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/visit-university/contact) who would be happy to answer any of your questions.

If you have any queries about life at Surrey University, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Best of luck!

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending