The Student Room Group

Engineering university choice

Hi, I'm currently deciding which unis to apply to for Engineering/Mechanical Engineering. I'm going for the universities that offer the best possible mixture of: Brillinat employer reputation/Great course. So far, I have these 4 unis on my list: Cambridge, Imperial, Bath and Bristol. Does anybody have any recommendations for the 5th choice? I have been considering UCL, does anybody have any experience there? Thanks a lot
Original post by joshspullen
Hi, I'm currently deciding which unis to apply to for Engineering/Mechanical Engineering. I'm going for the universities that offer the best possible mixture of: Brillinat employer reputation/Great course. So far, I have these 4 unis on my list: Cambridge, Imperial, Bath and Bristol. Does anybody have any recommendations for the 5th choice? I have been considering UCL, does anybody have any experience there? Thanks a lot

UCL has a stellar, world class reputation - but not for engineering. Im sure they still do well, but within the UK engineering sector UCL is not seen as a powerhouse. It’s not one of the universities you see crop up often (at least from what ive seen). Id say Sheffield, Nottingham, Loughbourgh, Southampton, Loughborough, Leeds are probably worth a look from a very reputable engineering & general perspective.

If you want to go to an excellent university by all means UCL is very strong overall & as such you’d still have great exit prospects but if your objective is to be an engineer then I wouldn’t worry so much about UCL’s general reputation.
Reply 2
Original post by joshspullen

Which offer a year in industry and prepare you to work as an Engineer? Cambridge doesn't - Imperial is toxic. Bath is the only one I'd keep

Quick Reply

Latest