The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ronar
Yes, haha hence why I passed maths with a 2 :biggrin:

I really do want to do standard grades again :frown:

Found the question in question :rolleyes: the completing the square one in paper 1.
I'm looking through that credit maths paper now and I've forgotten how to do half of it. This bodes well!
You're not meant to do it with completing the square though XD
Reply 22
Meteorshower
You're not meant to do it with completing the square though XD

Never saw your previous reply, sorry. That would make sense then, cos I'm utter mince at problem solving.:redface:
Reply 23
Yay for having left maths forever :biggrin:
Pfft maths is where it's at!
Hate Maths :frown:
Reply 26
I'm really liking maths this year...
Reply 27
Maths is jobbies :biggrin:
as is english, anybody got help on how to revise for textual analysis, I failed the last one :frown:
I would be revising the now but eh, im watching the sperm program for 'biology', even though we don't do it :frown:
Ronar
Maths is jobbies :biggrin:
as is english, anybody got help on how to revise for textual analysis, I failed the last one :frown:
I would be revising the now but eh, im watching the sperm program for 'biology', even though we don't do it :frown:

Textual analysis to me was a bit like a difficult close reading for me. Be very explicit in all your analysis and evaluation. With analysis always state what the imagery you are analysing is, then say what is being compared and say why the two things are being compared. WIth evaluation just go one step further and say whether you think it is effective or not. Whatever you say for that can be considered right as long as you justify it in some way, so don't worry about being "right" with evaluation.
Reply 29
Meteorshower
Textual analysis to me was a bit like a difficult close reading for me. Be very explicit in all your analysis and evaluation. With analysis always state what the imagery you are analysing is, then say what is being compared and say why the two things are being compared. WIth evaluation just go one step further and say whether you think it is effective or not. Whatever you say for that can be considered right as long as you justify it in some way, so don't worry about being "right" with evaluation.

Thanks, I try my best with that but i'm always far too out the box and completly miss the point of what the image is being said and what I am meant to link back to the question and fail :frown:
for example, the metaphor bla bla is effectie blabla as the connotations of bla bla link back to the point of bla bla

All the 'blablas' are generally completely off the mark :frown:

I'd much rather write an essay :frown:
Reply 30
Originally posted by C274
This. I heard one of the questions in the paper was a higher question, is that right?

yeah i cant remember exactly but ther were two questions that were iher level, or at least not in the standard grade curriculum, one on completing the square (which luckily we had done anyway) and another one. I was told, by someone in the loop, that you ony needed 48% to get a 1...
acas13
yeah i cant remember exactly but ther were two questions that were iher level, or at least not in the standard grade curriculum, one on completing the square (which luckily we had done anyway) and another one. I was told, by someone in the loop, that you ony needed 48% to get a 1...

Read my post at the top of the page.
Reply 32
Just to add to that, i love maths, liked it at standard grade but higher is a really good course :smile: roll on advanced higher.... < i might regret saying that!
Reply 33
Meteorshower
Read my post at the top of the page.

thanks for that, i will take your word for it :smile: i got a 1 anyways :smile:
Meteorshower
I'm replying to this because it kinda irritates me, nothing personal though :p:

It wasn't a higher question, it was a problem solving question that could and should be solved using standard grade methods but with higher knowledge would be much easier. People only noticed it because it was so obvious to those with higher knowlegde that completing the square would make it simple.

It should have been a problem solving question. It was actually under the KU section. Out of interest how do you do it without higher knowledge? I remember sitting there and thinking something like
"Well I have to put x210x+18x^2 - 10x + 18 in the from (xa)2+b(x-a)^2 + b so a=5 a=5 in order to get the 10x and just kind of worked from there. Definitley a mistake on the SQA's part for putting it as a KU Question though as it was outiwth the knowledge gained through Standard Grade, although putting it as a problem solving question would be fine.

Edit: Maths is great. Much better than writing an essay. :tounge:
Reply 35
Ugh, if I could go back a few months I'd make sure I did my physics project before chemistry, or at least not try and do them simultaneously. I'll worry about exams later. :P
namedeprived
It should have been a problem solving question. It was actually under the KU section. Out of interest how do you do it without higher knowledge? I remember sitting there and thinking something like
"Well I have to put x210x+18x^2 - 10x + 18 in the from (xa)2+b(x-a)^2 + b so a=5 a=5 in order to get the 10x and just kind of worked from there. Definitley a mistake on the SQA's part for putting it as a KU Question though as it was outiwth the knowledge gained through Standard Grade, although putting it as a problem solving question would be fine.

Edit: Maths is great. Much better than writing an essay. :tounge:

Could you post the question please? I can't seem to find it.
Pelican
Ugh, if I could go back a few months I'd make sure I did my physics project before chemistry, or at least not try and do them simultaneously. I'll worry about exams later. :P

You and me both :p:
Reply 38
Meteorshower
You and me both :p:

The time and effort involved with them really isn't worth the few crummy marks we get, it's rubbish.
Pelican
The time and effort involved with them really isn't worth the few crummy marks we get, it's rubbish.

Haha yeah, i'd rather just have a longer exam!

Latest

Trending

Trending