The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im in for french and spanish, but i really wanna change the french to arabic, i.e. i would like to study spanish and arabic. will be starting at robinson in october....so the change is MML---> MML and AMES...is this possible/do any of you guys know anyone who has changed from 2 european languages to 1 european and one eastern (in first year)?

plus, if you do get interviews for ure new language, and dont quite pass, this doesnt jeopardise your entitlement to the original course right???
oh btw, the robinson college website states:

"Asian and Middle Eastern Studies

Robinson only accepts candidates wishing to reading Chinese or Japanese: see East Asian Studies"

so is arabic still possible, once you've started?
Reply 22
dark<>horizon
im in for french and spanish, but i really wanna change the french to arabic, i.e. i would like to study spanish and arabic. will be starting at robinson in october....so the change is MML---> MML and AMES...is this possible/do any of you guys know anyone who has changed from 2 european languages to 1 european and one eastern (in first year)?

plus, if you do get interviews for ure new language, and dont quite pass, this doesnt jeopardise your entitlement to the original course right???

That's pretty much changing within your course though (one MML+one Eastern is counted as an MML degree, the prospectus says), so it should be allowed. I know of 2 MMLers who have swapped one language for another. It seems allowed. Having said that, I know nothing about what Robinson offers, re your post after this. Send them an email!

By the way, I have an interview for my desired Tripos on Monday. Very nervous. I can't blow this, I really want to do this degree rather than my original one :frown:
I know I'm passionate about my subject and an intelligent person, but I am an incredibly anxious person and so shy in interview situations!

Oh, and I hope it doesn't jeopardise your original course choice. I don't want to do my original course, but I REALLY don't want to be chucked out on the street! I think you'd be fine though, staying within languages.

Good luck!
Bjpchilds
That's pretty much changing within your course though (one MML+one Eastern is counted as an MML degree, the prospectus says), so it should be allowed. I know of 2 MMLers who have swapped one language for another. It seems allowed. Having said that, I know nothing about what Robinson offers, re your post after this. Send them an email!

By the way, I have an interview for my desired Tripos on Monday. Very nervous. I can't blow this, I really want to do this degree rather than my original one :frown:
I know I'm passionate about my subject and an intelligent person, but I am an incredibly anxious person and so shy in interview situations!

Oh, and I hope it doesn't jeopardise your original course choice. I don't want to do my original course, but I REALLY don't want to be chucked out on the street! I think you'd be fine though, staying within languages.

Good luck!

good luck! what is ure original tripos? and what r u changing too? and where will the interview be?
Bjpchilds

Good luck!

Just to point out that that's not true: it counts as an AMES degree. Doing an MML language is just an option within the AMES tripos as opposed to the other way round. However, on the open day, I met people with MML offers change one language to do Arabic/Persian/Hebrew. The fact that Robinson doesn't do Middle Eastern studies (only East Asian studies) may be a bit of a problem for the OP though. But I couldn't say any more than that. Good luck! Arabic is a wonderful language :smile:
Reply 25
renaissancemensch
Just to point out that that's not true: it counts as an AMES degree. Doing an MML language is just an option within the AMES tripos as opposed to the other way round. However, on the open day, I met people with MML offers change one language to do Arabic/Persian/Hebrew. The fact that Robinson doesn't do Middle Eastern studies (only East Asian studies) may be a bit of a problem for the OP though. But I couldn't say any more than that. Good luck! Arabic is a wonderful language :smile:

Oh, ok, sorry, maybe I read it wrong :o:
Reply 26
dark<>horizon
good luck! what is ure original tripos? and what r u changing too? and where will the interview be?

I got in for English and want to change to MML, and the interview is at my college, not sure where. I have to go to the Porter's Lodge and they'll take me...

I always feel really guilty every time I say that I got in for English but want to switch. But now I know what my passion is and the general career direction that I want to take...your views on that can change a lot when you're 17/18, especially when you're incredibly ill and stuck in bed for weeks and have nothing to do but think :p:
Grr, my epiphany came too late.

What about you? Are you going to contact someone now or what until you get there?
Bjpchilds
I got in for English and want to change to MML, and the interview is at my college, not sure where. I have to go to the Porter's Lodge and they'll take me...

I always feel really guilty every time I say that I got in for English but want to switch. But now I know what my passion is and the general career direction that I want to take...your views on that can change a lot when you're 17/18, especially when you're incredibly ill and stuck in bed for weeks and have nothing to do but think :p:
Grr, my epiphany came too late.

What about you? Are you going to contact someone now or what until you get there?

i emailed them. They said it's possible to do the change, but the DoS would like to meet me and hear my reasons for why I want to study the new subject.

So does that mean that you have to go all the way to Cambridge? cAnt u just have the interview once u get there?
Reply 28
dark<>horizon
i emailed them. They said it's possible to do the change, but the DoS would like to meet me and hear my reasons for why I want to study the new subject.

So does that mean that you have to go all the way to Cambridge? cAnt u just have the interview once u get there?

Oh, that's good then! Is that when you get to Cambridge in October?

Yeah, I have to go to Cambridge on Monday for the interview/discussion/whatever it's going to be. I don't mind too much (at least they're giving me a chance!) and thankfully I only live just under an hour away from Cambridge, but I have no car so my mum has to take a day off from work to drive me :frown:

She loves Cambridge though, so I don't think she minds TOO much. She went shopping when I was in Cambridge for my interview last year, she'll probably do that again :rolleyes:
Bjpchilds
Oh, that's good then! Is that when you get to Cambridge in October?

Yeah, I have to go to Cambridge on Monday for the interview/discussion/whatever it's going to be. I don't mind too much (at least they're giving me a chance!) and thankfully I only live just under an hour away from Cambridge, but I have no car so my mum has to take a day off from work to drive me :frown:

She loves Cambridge though, so I don't think she minds TOO much. She went shopping when I was in Cambridge for my interview last year, she'll probably do that again :rolleyes:

good luck for your interview/chat!
Reply 30
dark<>horizon
good luck for your interview/chat!

Thanks. It went pretty horribly; I hadn't slept and was almost in tears because of how nervous I was! When I was speaking French my grammar was awful. I could have done a lot better. Urgh! I think I've messed it up now. :frown: really hope I haven't, I really, really want to study MML :frown:
Reply 31
Bjpchilds
Thanks. It went pretty horribly; I hadn't slept and was almost in tears because of how nervous I was! When I was speaking French my grammar was awful. I could have done a lot better. Urgh! I think I've messed it up now. :frown: really hope I haven't, I really, really want to study MML :frown:

don't worry, my Spanish interview was truly awful and I still got in :smile: I swear they only let me in 'cos I already had my A Level grades, lol..
Is it possible to transfer from an arts subject (economics) to chemistry (natural sciences?) after a year? Or are they too different?
Dragonkiller
Is it possible to transfer from an arts subject (economics) to chemistry (natural sciences?) after a year? Or are they too different?

You'll find it very hard to prove yourself, they would possibly allow it but you'd probably have to start again.
The West Wing
You'll find it very hard to prove yourself, they would possibly allow it but you'd probably have to start again.

So you can't go into 2nd year? You'd have to do year 1 again?

Is that because of the course structure?

Thanks
Bjpchilds

huh? it was like a proper interview then (thats what i had to do in my MML interview last december)?? thats soo bad...i have my "chat" (lets hope it is exactly that) tomorrow...im freaked out now!

when do u find out if ure in for MML or not? im sure u will be though - they cant make u study something which u dont want to.
Dragonkiller

I changed from Law to Computer Science, but I'm starting Part I again (although I'm not actually "degrading", my year of law will still be mentioned on my transcripts.

The conditions were : get good grades (i had to get a 2.i, and they checked out my supervision report. They also asked my DoS, who had to give me a reference.). I had done Science A levels, so they checked that out.

It's rare, but it really depends on your DoS (both that of your initial subject, and that of the subject you're changing to). I was quite lucky because they were very open minded.

Although with Economics, you do have the maths background, so it might be a bit easier in that sense :smile:
Reply 37
thegluups
It's rare, but it really depends on your DoS (both that of your initial subject, and that of the subject you're changing to). I was quite lucky because they were very open minded.

Does being "open minded" really come into it? I doubt, as an Engling with A-levels in English, History and French, any amount of open mindedness on anyone's part would have enabled me to change to CompSci or Chemistry. Surely the prerequisite has to be, Can he do the new tripos?
saster
Does being "open minded" really come into it? I doubt, as an Engling with A-levels in English, History and French, any amount of open mindedness on anyone's part would have enabled me to change to CompSci or Chemistry. Surely the prerequisite has to be, Can he do the new tripos?

I'm pretty sure you have to have the correct A levels if you're going to do that.
saster

True, but some directors of studies might tell you point blank No, if you tried to change from an art to a science subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending