The Student Room Group

Admission rate for Chemical Engineering at Cambridge; Why do they vary so much?

I have applied to read Chemical Engineering at Cambridge, but looking through the admission statistics has left me sorely confused. There's a huge jump in admission rates (By an order of 2!) between 2022 and 2023, and some of the admission rates within colleges are unusual; In quite a few cases (2022 and before) you see a college with absolutely no admissions nor any applicants being pooled; which seems really odd. No admissions nor pooled applicants is nothing special, but both together appears just a little strange. And it's not limited to a certain college either; it seems to be a somewhat common occurance, and it's not as if the number of applicants is exceptionally low either. Is there anyone who can make sense of this information? I'm sure there's a reasonable and simple explanation for it.
Reply 1
Cambridge has recently changed its admissions process for Chemical Engineering (now called Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology Tripos https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/chemical-engineering) so that candidates apply directly rather than through Natural Sciences or Engineering. This is probably the reason for anomalous admissions statistics before 2022.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Interesting. It says that it changed in the 2023 academic year; is this referring to the previous year or this year's applications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending