The Student Room Group

Should i go to Uni? Please help!

Hi. I've applied to 5 unis and got 4 offers for studying Computer Science and one for Computing with Business management. There all bar my safe from top 30 universitys.
The thing is i don't like the course, i can't stand programming!
Now i know i shouldn't have applied for the course if i knew i didn't like it, but i had NO idea what i wanted to do AT ALL. There aren't any subjects i'm passinate about. In my free time i just surf the net, watch films or meet friends. Nothing i can do a degree in.
I got 6A*, 4A, 1B and 1C at GSCE, so tbh i think i'm university material. I just dont know what to do.
Choosing the wrong A levels didn't help, Computing, Electronics, Physics, Maths
I will probably get BACU in those subjects. ALL of which i dislike. I'm just not into maths and there all based on it!
Sorry if i'm rambling i just don't know what to do!
Peter Griffin can't even pass 4th Grade :haughty:
PeterGriffin
Hi. I've applied to 5 unis and got 4 offers for studying Computer Science and one for Computing with Business management. There all bar my safe from top 30 universitys.
The thing is i don't like the course, i can't stand programming!
Now i know i shouldn't have applied for the course if i knew i didn't like it, but i had NO idea what i wanted to do AT ALL. There aren't any subjects i'm passinate about. In my free time i just surf the net, watch films or meet friends. Nothing i can do a degree in.
I got 6A*, 4A, 1B and 1C at GSCE, so tbh i think i'm university material. I just dont know what to do.
Choosing the wrong A levels didn't help, Computing, Electronics, Physics, Maths
I will probably get BACU in those subjects. ALL of which i dislike. I'm just not into maths and there all based on it!
Sorry if i'm rambling i just don't know what to do!

there we go
The thing with university now is that it doesn't look particularly outstanding on your CV that you've been to one, it's just that not going to one looks a bit unusual.

To a certain degree, I'm not passionate about any of my subjects either but I still intend to do an Economics degree at university and hopefully enjoy it. You seem unsure so if I were you I'd take a year off maybe and think about what you want to do and what you want your job to be. If your current A Levels don't allow you to do that job and you're missing 1, then study for it during your year off in work. Good luck in finding a course that you actually WANT to do.
If you really can't see yourself doing it, don't. Take a gap year, re-evaluate and choose the subject that is least detestable to you. You say you think you'll get an A in Electronics, why don't you do that? At least choose something you'll do well in if not something you like.

Also its not too late to change courses, you can email your Uni and ask them and if you fulfill the requirements and there are enough places they may consider it.
Maybe you should take a year out and take an A level in something you would like to do?

Seeing as you're predicted an A in electronics you could do that?
Retakes, a year out, extra, clearing, etc etc etc etc etc
If you hate your subjects then putting yourself through the torture of three years more may not be the best idea. Uni is hard, and I think people underestimate the difficulty of it. I came to Uni loving all of my subjects but have found it really testing anyway and there have been times when I've felt frustrated but I know that I love what I do and it keeps me going on. If you havn't got a passion with it to start with you may find it hard to see a point.

People forget that the opportunity for Uni is still there later on, and if you were to work for a few years or even travel you can still change your mind and come back. A few years in employment may help put a few things into perspective and could change your mind.
Reply 8
Don't go, resit college with a levels you like
Reply 9
go to work?
gcse's aren't an indication of whether you're university material, they mean f*uck all.
Reply 10
Hi, thanks for all the advice! I've been umming and aahing wheather to take a gap year, the thing thats standing in my way is its such a bad time to get a job. I've applied for about 10 and only had 1 interview. I fear i'll just waste it. Still, its better than wasing a year at uni, dosn't cost as much.
People have suggested i do electronics instead, but i find that just as boring as computer science, plus there's alot less work about for it, i did a bit of reasearch when i applied to uni.
Its horrible when you don't know what to do. :frown:.
Oh, plus my parents will be very dissapointed if i don't go to uni, which i forgot to mention first time. Not a big thing but i don't like letting them down if i can avoid it.
Reply 11
I can completely relate to your situation. I had no idea what I wanted to do. Originally I was planning on doing architectural engineering and based my A levels around doing do (maths, physics, graphics). Then completely changed my mind, and did a 1 year A level in sociology and started that at uni. However I wasn't passionate about that which meant I had no motivation to go to lectures or put in much effort into the essays.

Now I'm on a half gap year and planning on doing graphics, but naturally having doubts simply because I've changed my mind so much before. I'd advise you to take some time out and try to get a job. I've applied to about 300 jobs with only 3 interviews, so perhaps try volunteering. It'd look good on your next personal statement, too.

Have you thought about doing any art courses? I know they're not as respected, but a few universities do intensive foundation courses in the summer (UCL, Kingston, Middlesex, etc.). Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and a few others do random summer courses so definitely check them out for inspiration.
Reply 12
polka_dott
Maybe you should take a year out and take an A level in something you would like to do?

Seeing as you're predicted an A in electronics you could do that?

Electronic engineering is pure applied mathematics. :rolleyes:

He said he hates mathematics.
Reply 13
Gap year baby.
how did you get into a comp sci degree with a U for A level maths?

either way, gap year or retake A levels.
Reply 15
xxxchrisxxx
how did you get into a comp sci degree with a U for A level maths?

either way, gap year or retake A levels.

If you look on Surrey's website, they don't require maths A level for CS, and on The Times Good University Guide the're ranked 6th for CS. (Got an offer from there) So wasn't to hard getting offers from those ranked around 20:yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending