The Student Room Group

Setting up Uni of Manchester email on a phone

Hey people just got a 5800, i am told i need :

the Pop3 server = incoming mail server
SMTP server = outgoing mail server

details before i can set it up, how can i get these without spending ages tracking down a tech guy that actually knows what hes talking about / does anyone have them? surely other people at manchester uni have done this

cheers
http://www.itservices.manchester.ac.uk/staffemail/programs/otherprog/express/

This was the first hit of the search I did on Google... :rolleyes:
Reply 2
cheers! i didnt know where to look tbh, just checked my mail and nothing there...

cant get on the link though, or the it websote? just getting 'page load error'
Tis working for me...

* My incoming mail server is a IMAP server
* Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server: email.manchester.ac.uk
* Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: outgoing.manchester.ac.uk

Edit: You can use POP3 also:

If you want to configure any other email programs other than webmail, please note that they will not be supported by IT Services. However, if you want to configure an email program to access the Student Email service, these are the technical connection details you will need:

* IMAP  encrypted connection (i.e. secure)
o Server address: email.manchester.ac.uk
o Port: 143 (using TLS) or 993 (using SSL)
* SMTP  authenticated and encrypted
o Server address: outgoing.manchester.ac.uk
o Port: 587 (use TLS for encryption) or
o Port: 465 (use SSL for encryption)
* POP  (not normally used)
o Server address: email.manchester.ac.uk
o Port: 110
Reply 4
I did the short way at the top, using Imap4 then typing in the incoming and outgoing, when i click connect i get:

'packet data connection not available'

???
Reply 5
and which username and passowrd do u use?

mcy. . .. ?
Reply 6
scratch that, that was on my simcard with no credit/ net.

I have done everything above, but when i click connect it acts me for the connection (ive tried everyone except wifi as i have no wifi) and it just asks for username and password then tries to connect and doesnt find anything.

Did exactly the same when i tried syncing hotmail (which there are problems with)(

but there should be no problem with the uni one??????
Reply 7
somehow did it thanks to my mate (cheers woodhead if your reading lol) all we did was manuelly change the port and a few minor things, the mind boggles!

still cant get my hotmail one to work though by trying to manuall configure it (5800 by the way)
Nick-2
somehow did it thanks to my mate (cheers woodhead if your reading lol) all we did was manuelly change the port and a few minor things, the mind boggles!

still cant get my hotmail one to work though by trying to manuall configure it (5800 by the way)

Hotmail won't work unless you subscribe to their 15$ a year Hotmail Plus service... yup it's a pain (though I moved to gmail a while ago, for the better!)

Latest

Trending

Trending