The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think its hard to make a judgement as everyones situations are different and some people mature much earlier.
Reply 2
love_4_ducks
what does everyone think of the governmnet discussions to lowering the age of sexual constent to 14?
surely that would be encoraging teenage pregnanceys which will add to the rapidly increasing rate that britian laready possses?
surely lowering the age of consent is really pointless as children as young as 12 may start?
what do you guys all think?

I don't agree with lowering the age of consent. Watching that Pleasureland program last night just reminded me how young 14 actually is.
Reply 3
ditzy blonde
I don't agree with lowering the age of consent. Watching that Pleasureland program last night just reminded me how young 14 actually is.

this is exactly my point, lowering the age of consent is just going to young as 14 is still really young and many are not fully matured yet as they juts do it so they can look cool nad big by braging that they have lost their virginitys
Reply 4
love_4_ducks
this is exactly my point, lowering the age of consent is just going to young as 14 is still really young and many are not fully matured yet as they juts do it so they can look cool nad big by braging that they have lost their virginitys

I'd be worried that it would encourage younger children to have sex as well, so the 12 year olds would start bullying each other into it. There was some mention at the end of the documentary about whether or not we actually need an age of consent and should it be scaped all together, that really horrified me, surely there needs to be some laws to protect our children, and wouldn't it make it harder to convict paedophiles with a lower age of consent?
I'd rather the age of consent was removed altogether and more protection put in place to protect people from date rape/peer pressure. I think in some cases having an age of constent makes sense (smoking/drinking etc where you have to buy the consumables from somewhere and voting where you have to be registered somewhere) but in the case of consenting sex it is impossible to police and monitor and putting an arbitrary age (which in some peoples case is too young and in others too old) on it just excasserbates (however it's spelt) the situation and puts pressure on those over the age and gives credibility to those under the age.
Reply 6
A lot of European countries have the age of consent at 14 and have a far lower level of teenage pregnancies. I don't think the age of consent is a problem as such, I think it's really the sex education provided. I had a good sex ed starting in primary school, and parents who were open and honest with me but a lot of people don't have that. Puberty is starting at a younger age for a lot of children but it doesn't mean they are emotionally ready to have sex and deal with the consequences.
Reply 7
if they lower the age, it will just increase the amount of people doing it. and most 14yr olds will just do just to say that they have. and they will get it if they turn out to get the girl pregant.
Reply 8
Sophdoph
A lot of European countries have the age of consent at 14 and have a far lower level of teenage pregnancies. I don't think the age of consent is a problem as such, I think it's really the sex education provided. I had a good sex ed starting in primary school, and parents who were open and honest with me but a lot of people don't have that. Puberty is starting at a younger age for a lot of children but it doesn't mean they are emotionally ready to have sex and deal with the consequences.

I totally agree. The sex education at my high school was rubbish. We basically got told how babies are made ("this goes in here and then this happens..." etc etc) and that there are methods of contraception. I cannot remember a single time anyone saying "Look, sex is a huge emotional commitment and not something to be taken lightly!!" Consequently, lots of my friends who have prudish parents lost their virginity far too earlier, much earlier than they were ready for, and some have even taken upsetting and potentially dangerous risks because they feel they dont have anyone who understands them.
My mother had me when she was 19. It was choice and she was already married, but she has been a fantastic support and I know I can always ask about sex or go to her in an emergency. When I DID lose my virginity, it was 2 or 3 years after my closest friends and unlike them I do not regret it. SEX EDUCATION IS THE KEY!! And I really feel that people should get over the "I don't want to talk to my parents about it" thing because they were young once too and are probably more than willing to help you out.
Reply 9
tht isa gd point as we are onl told in school the biologcal stuff of what happens, nothng on the emotional commimnts
Reply 10
love_4_ducks
what does everyone think of the governmnet discussions to lowering the age of sexual constent to 14?
surely that would be encoraging teenage pregnanceys which will add to the rapidly increasing rate that britian laready possses?
surely lowering the age of consent is really pointless as children as young as 12 may start?
what do you guys all think?

it think this is a stupid idea! theres already waaaay to many 13/14 years olds with kids, and the majority of them cant even look after themselves!!
lowering the age would just encourage more people to have sex younger, which is just daft!!
im not saying that i was an angel and waited til my 16th b'day but the government should definately not be encouraging this!
ditzy blonde

i watched that last night aswell, it was really bad - 14 really is too young!!!
Reply 12
Is there really any difference between 14 and 15, 17 and 18? I think not. Petty much all 17 year old behave like 18 year old and pretty much all 15 year old behave like 14 year old. Plus, 16 year olds can't look after themselves either.

It's not going to do anything just to sit here and talking about it. Do something about it!

One last question though. Would you rather live in today's world where 14 year-old kids have sex or would you live sometime (time period) where no one ever talk about sex? Or somewhere... no I'm not offering you an alternative.
Reply 13
what about all his to stop all sexual activity between under 16's such as holding hands and hugging to be made illegal? what is the point, are we going to get arrested averytime we hug a under 16?
Reply 14
people ae going to have sex wether they lower the age or not, most people don't even wait till they are 16! the goverment can't stop ppl havin unda age sex
Reply 15
ajs
people ae going to have sex wether they lower the age or not, most people don't even wait till they are 16! the goverment can't stop ppl havin unda age sex

but they will stop us hugging, kissing etc
Reply 16
love_4_ducks
but they will stop us hugging, kissing etc

ok well dat iz jus stupid!! every one kisses n hugs they ent gonna b able 2 stop everyone the goverment has more important issues to worry about i think
Reply 17
ajs
ok well dat iz jus stupid!! every one kisses n hugs they ent gonna b able 2 stop everyone the goverment has more important issues to worry about i think

i no its pathetic they have more stuff to worry bout such as terroism, not gettin ploice to partol the streets to arrest all under 16's hugging, holding hands etc
Reply 18
[I no they wnt ave enuff room in prisons! they really shud think about the things that effect the country!! n it's not like u cn gt pregnant or catch a dieseas frm holdin hands or huggin!!
Reply 19
well surely that is gonna drive more teens into underage sex as they know tht they will be breaking the law

Latest

Trending

Trending