The Student Room Group

Sixth form personal statement

Hi All, I'm currently in the process of writing my personal statement for sixth form, I've got my first draft written but I want to change it up a bit.
All the examples our teachers gave us start with "I am (insert quality)" and I guess it sounds sort of generic, are there any other ways to start it with?
By giving these examples it sort of feels as though that's how we are supposed to write that, but I'm wondering if any deviation is possible.
Hi there!

A technique we recommend for university personal statements is ABC (but you could still use it for your 6th form personal statement). This is where you write about the activity (eg. assignment, club, hobby etc.), you then talk about how it has benefitted you (eg. communication skills, patience, hard working), and then you talk about how it will help you on your course (or you subject choices/6th form choice).

Giving an example for everything you say will not only give them more insight into who you are, but make it more interesting for them to read!
To start your personal statement, try and use smth not cliche and make it unique to yourself. You want to make the reader want to read more and actually pay attention to your personal statement so using an unorthodox starting sentence would do exactly that. Just avoid saying from a young age as even if you had that passion from a young age, it's just a cliche and Boring starter. Basically think of smth unique and use it as your starter to hook the reader in.
Reply 3
Original post by shadowblades
To start your personal statement, try and use smth not cliche and make it unique to yourself. You want to make the reader want to read more and actually pay attention to your personal statement so using an unorthodox starting sentence would do exactly that. Just avoid saying from a young age as even if you had that passion from a young age, it's just a cliche and Boring starter. Basically think of smth unique and use it as your starter to hook the reader in.

for my personal statement that I recently submitted I used that once or twice, I've been really worrying it was a bit to over the top. Do you think I should be this stressed out about it??
Original post by Oscarb1123
for my personal statement that I recently submitted I used that once or twice, I've been really worrying it was a bit to over the top. Do you think I should be this stressed out about it??

oh it shouldn't be to much of an issue as no one would penalise you too much for smth like that. while it isnt ideal, it doesn't make your PS better but it also doesn't make it much worse either since so many other people use it too. as long as the rest of your PS is strong, it wont be an overarching concern so i wouldn't worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending