The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Good luck everyone. i hope im ready for it and hopefully so will all of you :biggrin:
Reply 201
Meteorshower
I didn't either really a couple of days ago :p: Good old cramming.

Ones to learn: 4 benzene electrophilic substitutions, nucleophilic carbonyl substitutions, forming an ester with acid chloride, forming ethers with an alkoxide ion and a halolgenoalkane.

There are probably more, but those are the ones I can think of :p:

So for reagents, if it's a reduction reaction will lithium aluminium hydride always be an answer?

Likewise for oxidations - acidified potassium dichromate?
Reply 202
no tea break

Alcohols are reduced to alkenes by Aluminum Oxide

and Aldehyde are oxidised by tollens reagent or benedicts solutiona and not dichromate
teabreak
So for reagents, if it's a reduction reaction will lithium aluminium hydride always be an answer?

Likewise for oxidations - acidified potassium dichromate?

Yeah for reduction, and you can use hot copper II oxide and acidified permanganate aswell for all oxidations, and tollens and benedicts aswell for aldehydes.
koolcat6
no tea break

Alcohols are reduced to alkenes by Aluminum Oxide

and Aldehyde are oxidised by tollens reagent or benedicts solutiona and not dichromate

Dichromate works too.
Reply 205
really i thought that its only primary alcohols that are oxidised by dichromate and hot copper oxide.

in the learning outcomes for aldehydes it only metions tollens reagent and Benedicts solution.
Im probably wrong but i would right tollens reagent to be on the safe side !!!
Reply 206
also, for alkenes conc. h2so4 yeh?.
Reply 207
Meteorshower
Yeah for reduction, and you can use hot copper II oxide and acidified permanganate aswell for all oxidations, and tollens and benedicts aswell for aldehydes.

Great, that makes things a lot simpler!
Reply 208
Dan11
also, for alkenes conc. h2so4 yeh?.

Yeah, I somehow managed to pull that from somewhere while doing a past paper and it was correct =]
Reply 209
yeah i remember the conc sulphuric acid aswell i think that would be the best one to write.

what about hydrolysis of Nitriles etc, is it water ?
Reply 210
see for preparation of benzoic acid calcs., how do u work oput the %age yield?

e.g. 3.75g of ethyl benzoate was refluxed with sodium hydroxide solution for 30m minutes...... the mass of benzoic acid obtained was 1.83g. Express this as a %age yield?
Reply 211
would conc HCL be ok
Reply 212
koolcat6
would conc HCL be ok

Don't think so, phosphoric acid and aluminium oxide are the alternatives I think.
Reply 213
no
Reply 214
Dan11
see for preparation of benzoic acid calcs., how do u work oput the %age yield?

e.g. 3.75g of ethyl benzoate was refluxed with sodium hydroxide solution for 30m minutes...... the mass of benzoic acid obtained was 1.83g. Express this as a %age yield?

Do you have the formula? actual yield/theoretical yield x 100
Reply 215
wel u have to use that but need to work out the theoretical mass of benzoic or something like that
Dilute acid for hydrolosis of nitrile.
Reply 217
Dan11
wel u have to use that but need to work out the theoretical mass of benzoic or something like that

Is the answer roughly 42.4%?
Reply 218
no 60

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................
I'm off to bed, good luck for all you fools still up reading this :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending