The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DreamsComeTrue.
yeah i now :frown: thats how i know i've got all M1 answers wrong :frown::frown:

Mechanics is like that - but remember, its not about just the asnwers, its about your method, and there are loads of follow through marks. I honestly thought i failed the Jan M1 paper - seriously! Ask my mates, they will tell you how down I was about it - came out of the exam saying I was going to have to resit the exam in June! But when results came out in March, boundaries were low so I'd done wery well with the very lenient UMS scaling. Chances are if this paper was hard (which judging by the comments on here it was), boundaries will be lowered accordingly. People were even saying this was harder than the Jan 09 M1 paper so you never know. Just keep those fingers crossed. I'm sure you've done better than you think - we are always our worst critics when it comes to exams.

Good Luck - hope you get what you need on 20/08.

Anyway, sorry to bring up this thread again given that the exam was 5 weeks ago. :ninja:

:p:
Medicine Man
Mechanics is like that - but remember, its not about just the asnwers, its about your method, and there are loads of follow through marks. I honestly thought i failed the Jan M1 paper - seriously! Ask my mates, they will tell you how down I was about it - came out of the exam saying I was going to have to resit the exam in June! But when results came out in March, boundaries were low so I'd done wery well with the very lenient UMS scaling. Chances are if this paper was hard (which judging by the comments on here it was), boundaries will be lowered accordingly. People were even saying this was harder than the Jan 09 M1 paper so you never know. Just keep those fingers crossed. I'm sure you've done better than you think - we are always our worst critics when it comes to exams.

Good Luck - hope you get what you need on 20/08.

Anyway, sorry to bring up this thread again given that the exam was 5 weeks ago. :ninja:

hmm i suppose i may get some method marks as i did attempt every question so i'll suppose they'll give me sympathy for trying.. i wonder, if they lower the boundaries for the individual modules, is the overall UMS boundaries (out of 600) effected?

before the exams i thought i'll be able to predict roughly my grades in all my exams so i'll at least be prepared in august, but now i can honestly say i don't have a clue :frown::frown:
DreamsComeTrue.
who randomonly feels like looking through thier maths notes and doing some papers?

:zomg:

HELL NO!
DreamsComeTrue.
i wonder, if they lower the boundaries for the individual modules, is the overall UMS boundaries (out of 600) effected?

Not directly as each paper that is sat has its own UMS scaling. Whatever UMS marks you get overall should still add up to 480/600 for an A, 420/600 for a B and so on...
Reply 704
DreamsComeTrue.
who randomonly feels like looking through thier maths notes and doing some papers? i do :smile: lol, seeing as i'm doing a maths degree in october i'm gonna have to anyway.. but i'll wait until august.. or after we get results..

I'm waaay ahead of you =P
well its not that bad! i like doing C4 integration and the diffrentiation in C3 :smile: those are my fav topics :smile: and i might do a bit of Mechanics.. but even though i messed up my exam cos i didn't get Mechanics at all, i'll probably read though my notes and suddenly understnad it all! :frown: so annoying when i fianlly get things after i've done the exams :frown:
I'm trying but failing to learn the first year uni stuff. Counting and argument using functions is so hard. Which, is really annoying as C3 and C4 could be learned by reading the book for five days and its taking me five days to learn ten pages. Although, I haven't been working as hard as last year.
Reply 707
Simplicity
I'm trying but failing to learn the first year uni stuff. Counting and argument using functions is so hard. Which, is really annoying as C3 and C4 could be learned by reading the book for five days and its taking me five days to learn ten pages. Although, I haven't been working as hard as last year.

How about just waiting until you're actually at university before starting the content?
.ACS.
How about just waiting until you're actually at university before starting the content?

i agree :smile: its difficult to learn new maths concepts out of a book! :p:
.ACS.

Because I consider that being lazy. See you should aim to learn everything by yourself and not get spoon-fed.

Plus, I think in a sad way the only skill I really have is being able to work harder then everyone else. Anyway, I'm pretty sure if you want to be like Riemann or Gauss or Grothendieck you need to work hard.
Yeah, the book I have is crap at explaining counting proofs and what not about counting. I had to consult another book which is much better but less material.

The problem is I don't know if I can just remeber it or understand it. Yeah, the book is pretty poor.
Nah I think that won't work. See I don't understand the basic proofs for example Pigeohole principle so I can't really use that to prove other stuff. Well, I do understand the Pigeonhole principle, more like a lemma used is memorised so I don't know if I understand it or just remeber it.

Yeah, so it seems I'm just memorising it. Sort of like I did when reading Roger Penrose books.

I'm thinking of just going back in the book. Or maybe drawing pictures, as the book does use diagrams as a sort of scaffold.

P.S. Luckly, I found out the homework or assignments are just the problems in the book so I can just copy the anwsers from the back and hand it in if I don't understand it when starting uni.
Don't tell anyone this. But I heard that uni maths papers are recycled every five and four years. Although, I think the person who said that was lying because then he doing a MMath instead of three year thing. It seems that he wanted to be spoon-fed to much.
are their any exams that mainly test natural maths aptitude
Reply 714
I would have thought that taking an initial look at STEPs and AEAs also do that. Sure they test you on material you've already learned, but they extend it in a way that only competant, or at least somewhat naturally gifted, mathematicians will be able to handle.
Reply 715
Not quite sure how to phrase what I'm trying to say here, but it's something along the lines of "A competant mathematician will get AEA quicker and easier. It is the learning curve that is important, not the final result."

If you got a bunch of people to blind sit it after C4, it would be a damn decent indicator of natural mathematical ability, but you would probably have to study the working, as well as the final answers :p:
Does anyone have a copy of this paper so I can take a look?
Reply 717
Does anyone have the official mark scheme for this?
I think sohanshah posted it a few weeks ago..
Edexcel found out and they had to be removed from this forum. Look at the unofficial markscheme.
Reply 719
so did anyone save the markscheme, i really need it pleasee x

Latest

Trending

Trending