The Student Room Group

Really scared about going to 'Kingston Upon Thames'

Please keep anon or delete

I work for a large UK clothing chain in central London. However, on Sunday they have asked me (as it is rare to do this) to cover a shift over at a branch in a place called Kingston-Upon Thames :confused:

I agreed but the other employees in my store kept joking about at me saying have ''fun in the ghettooo'' and ''it's kind of rough there.'' Now I am really scared :frown:

What is it like in Kingston? Are the people sort of... white middle class (as the part of London I work in is dominated by this profile of people)? Is it safe there? It's just I have heard it is not good there!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
haha, i go to school in kingston. Im sure your friends are just joking around because its the opposite of the 'ghetto'. Its not east london its surrey! It may have a crap uni but it has 2 of the best schools in the country and a huge shopping centre (where i assume you will work). Don't worry its the opposite of 'ghetto'.
Haha Kingston isn't roughhhh wtf.
It's a mix of posh, polite people and school kids!

Yeah there are a few asian groups that hang around there but most are harmless.. They just look intimidating when they're not at all! Seriously, you' be fine - there isn't anything to worry about :smile:
Reply 3
Sam81
haha, i go to school in kingston. Im sure your friends are just joking around because its the opposite of the 'ghetto'. Its not east london its surrey! It may have a crap uni but it has 2 of the best schools in the country and a huge shopping centre (where i assume you will work). Don't worry its the opposite of 'ghetto'.

Yes, I will be working in the Bent Hall Centre branch...

So it's not basically... full of black people and Asian gangs? I know that sounds terrible, but it's just not what I am used to living in Zone 1 and I don't want to look like I am not from the area.... :confused:
Reply 4
you stupid sheltered elitist piece of crap.
Anonymous

So it's not basically... full of black people and Asian gangs? I know that sounds terrible, but it's just not what I am used to living in Zone 1 and I don't want to look like I am not from the area....

Since when did zone 1 not have thousands of black and Asian people?
Reply 6
:no: This is a shockingly middle class thread. Stop being afraid of stepping out of a cushioned comfort zone for once OP.
Reply 7
You're actually a racist idiot...i secretly hope you get beat up-but that's not very christian of me so i digress.
Reply 8
la fille danse
Since when did zone 1 not have thousands of black and Asian people?

Well obviously they are there. But I am not from London originally, I am from the coutnryside, but moved to Zone 1 for uni a couple of years ago and hardly ever leave it...and have no idea about London suburbs! I just picture them to be crawling with poor people and KFC munching chavs.
Anonymous

So it's not basically... full of black people and Asian gangs? I know that sounds terrible, but it's just not what I am used to living in Zone 1 and I don't want to look like I am not from the area.... :confused:

Okay I take back some of my "niceness" before :rolleyes:
So what if there are brown/black/orange people around? They're no differernt to you. And the area's predominantly white anyway.

And it's Bentalls btw.
lol

Troll, surely. I bet you know full well that Kingston is suburbia.

Edit: And last time I was there, it was like Magnolia central.
Reply 11
Avoid cambridge estate though :p:
Reply 12
CityOfMyHeart
Okay I take back some of my "niceness" before :rolleyes:
So what if there are brown/black/orange people around? They're no differernt to you. And the area's predominantly white anyway.

And it's Bentalls btw.

No you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying! Don't put words in my mouth. I know some London suburbs, and stuff, I just have never been fortunate enough to go there!

I am just a bit worried about venturing out. I usually spend all my time in London in Zone 1 , and then my home city when I go home, so never really have the chance to see the 'real' London I suppose...

What is it like? Is there grass or is it just concrete?
It's rather ace.
Anonymous
No you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying! Don't put words in my mouth. I know some London suburbs, and stuff, I just have never been fortunate enough to go there!

I am just a bit worried about venturing out. I usually spend all my time in London in Zone 1 , and then my home city when I go home, so never really have the chance to see the 'real' London I suppose...

What is it like? Is there grass or is it just concrete?

There loads of green areas - it's next to the Thames. Obviously the main town is concrete but it has areas of grass. It's not ugly/overbuilt - it's a lot nicer than a lot of other areas.
Reply 15
I visited my friend at uni there, we walked the streets at night drunk, it was fiiiiiiiiiiine.

Besides her accommodation was behind gates, hahaa. But no, the area is fine...and I'm from a village in the countryside too so..*shrug*
Reply 16
Anonymous

Bentall.

And Kingston is fine.
Reply 17
Afraid of non white people i take it ? what do u think will happen to you ?get mugged & gangraped as soon as you step off the train station ?... You have preferred to post this 'anonymously' as you are aware your post is quite racist.. Have a word with yourself!
Reply 18
CityOfMyHeart
There loads of green areas - it's next to the Thames. Obviously the main town is concrete but it has areas of grass. It's not ugly/overbuilt - it's a lot nicer than a lot of other areas.

Ah Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Are people in the suburbs nice or are they a bit lairy? I mean this seriously btw.... the store in central London - I am used to business people, professionals and tourists... it's so different.
Anonymous
Ah Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Are people in the suburbs nice or are they a bit lairy? I mean this seriously btw.... the store in central London - I am used to business people, professionals and tourists... it's so different.

They're (We're) normal people. Some business men, some school kids, some old ladies. It's a mix. It depends what store you're going to be working in tbh - the kind of people you'll get depends on that, as with wherever you work tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending