The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm 16.... so none. :biggrin: :p:
I took about 10-12 hours of lessons before passing first time, with a fair bit of practice with my dad between lessons.
Reply 22
ive had 3 hours - only 2 lessons so far, next one friday
Reply 23
none yet - but in a month i can start :biggrin: wohoo.....
Reply 24
i must have had over 40 and ive still failed 3 tests :redface:
Reply 25
I used to drive since Childhood but it took me 5 hours for a driving lesson as I already knew how to drive from Childhool :devil

Zain
Reply 26
I recently (like 2 weeks ago) failed my first practical test. I was gutted. I was so nervous my legs were shaking. So I had no clutch control at all (it doesn't help that my feet are so small I have to hover my foot over the clutch cos I can't reach it otherwise)! I failed before I left the car park. I passed my mock with my instructor fine but there's something really scary about the driving test instructors. If ya can go with a parent or family member, it's cheaper to go out and buy an old banger and get it insured than it is to spend a fortune on lessons to gain the confidence it takes to drive for an examiner, unless you're naturally confident. Also if ya wanna pass, go for an area in the countryside where it's quiet. Driving tests are very strict in most places which is daft really when you only truely learn to drive when you've actually passed your test.
Reply 27
I had about 25ish lessons I think, and drove loads with my mum and dad....not a nice experience, usually ended in a fight! Luckily I passed first time so didn't have to go through it for a long time!
Reply 28
I had about 20 50min lessons but then got fed up of paying £20 a time to just drive around and for my instructor not to tell me anything useful, so I just got insured on my mums car and drove around with her. She was actually a really good teacher and I passed first time :smile: Luckily I had quite a nice examiner and only got 3 minors.
Ive had about 32 1 hour lessons with an instructor and I have my test booked for July. I feel like ive taken a long time to learn, like i havent picked things up particularly quickly tho. Never had a problem with manoeuvres but general stuff like remembering to use my mirrors n stuff i always forget! :s:
Reply 30
i had just under 30 lessons with the AA (no driving with my parents or anyone) and i passed 2nd time and it only took 4 months 2 learn. It all depends on how easy you find picking things up like manouvres etc and what ur instructors like.
Reply 31
I'm only 16 as well, but i've had a couple of lessons in my dads car in a field, but didn't go any faster than 25mph as there were bumps everywhere. :smile:
Reply 32
i had over 80 but 30 were with a rubbish instructor so i basically had to start over when i got my second one. I passed my test 4th time round which was exactly a week ago :biggrin: According to most of the official figures the average is around 40.
Reply 33
just got my provisional today yay
Reply 34
OMGWTF
In hours? Just trying to work out the average amount before everyone takes their practical
my mum had 7 hours of official driving instruction before her test, but my dad had tought her to drive
Ive had over 70 driving lessons and have booked my first driving test for july, I passed my theory first time and hoping to pass my test first time. My driving instructor laughs at me, shes says shes never had anyone whose done over 70 lessons, and so do my mates, all my mates infact rushed it, they all wnated to pass before uni, and all of them failed first time. My stupid instructor just cant get it into her thick skull, that I'm in no rush to pass. She says I'm too laid back and blaa blaa.
Reply 36
I had about 40 lessons, and passed 2nd time. But I know people who had double that, and people who had half. So it really depends on how good/lucky you are
Reply 37
@LeX
just got my provisional today yay

:eek:

Me too. Dudeish.
Reply 38
my brother passed in 3 months (1 lesson a week - you work it out!)

ive had 3 1hr lessons and can do all gears, reverse, done a couple of 3 point turns, holding on the clutch, hill stop/starts. i think it really depends who your instructor is and how much you practise in between with parents etc!
Reply 39
None!! I only sent off for my provisional yesterday!! :biggrin: and i turned 18 more than a month ago lol

Latest

Trending

Trending