The Student Room Group

Hesitation and making progress

Hi all,

I have had lessons since november 2021 and have had over 40 hours,probably closer to 55 ish now (was 1.5 hours a week until september and I’ve been at uni so haven’t had very many since) driving manual. I picked up stuff like gears etc super fast and I’m a safe driver, it took ages to establish confidence in myself and it wasn’t until April 2022 that I was confident enough to drive with my mum and not instructor.

Since then my confidence has come on leaps and bounds and when driving with my mum I never make mistakes, I keep to the speed limit and drive in a relaxed, confident manner. With my mum I don’t hesitate or stall or anything like that but with my instructor it’s different. With her I don’t drive fast enough down residential roads and I make more mistakes. She got a new car recently and I was supposed to test on the 28th of April (cancelled cause of strikes) and I had only driven it a couple times before the lesson before my test.

It was awful, I kept driving too slow, couldn’t parallel park. Kept hesitating and missed the bite on the new clutch and stalled whilst pulling off a couple of times. I had another lesson on the 28th when I was meant to test and she said it was probably the best driving I’ve ever done.

So why did I mess up so much the lesson before? I feel so nervous with her and not my mum and I know I’ll be bricking it in the test so how can I get over my nerves bringing back my bad habits? I really want to pass 1st time on my test (each time it has been cancelled/moved due to uni etc) when I have it but this seems to be an instructor thing and a mental block in my head.
Reply 1
Take your Mum's car and use it in the test, put 'L' plates on it and get temporary insurance (or named driver cover) verifying you are insured for a test. See the Govt web site for cars allowed for driving tests etc
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Take your Mum's car and use it in the test, put 'L' plates on it and get temporary insurance (or named driver cover) verifying you are insured for a test. See the Govt web site for cars allowed for driving tests etc

I can’t do that, she needs the car for work and my test is already arranged for my instructor’s car. Plus my problem is with nerves/pressure in lessons and mock tests, it’s not the physical car as I’m used to her new one. If that was an option I’d consider it but I can’t do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending