The Student Room Group

Can you take driving lessons in a different area to where you live?

I'm saving up to have driving lessons but I don't want to take them in my area or be collected from my house. I've had a few driving lessons in this area before but all the instructors were rubbish. Also I don't want my family finding out I'm taking driving lessons as they wouldn't approve as they want me to contribute to rent/bills but I barely have enough money for myself, I'm on benefits and also self employed on a very low income. If they found out I was taking driving lessons they're going to think I'm rich and will want money. I only want to take lessons while I'm on benefits as that's the main source of money I have and wouldn't be able to have driving lessons without it as my income is so low. Things are tight but I'll manage. I have a plan to only take 20-30 lessons as I had loads many years ago, I remember a lot and am a fast learner so it will all come back to me quick. It's also going to cost me to travel to a different area but I can't risk my family finding out if I have the lessons in my area. I'm not going to go far like one of the surrounding areas to my area that are less than an hour away as I know no one in my family goes there. I could probably walk there which I will look into once I find an instructor but can I do that? Like won't they ask for address and postcode of where to meet which I won't be able to give, I'll only be able to give the road name once I've decided where to meet them and they'll probably ask to see my provisional licence and then they'll know it's not my real address.
Hiya 👋

It's great that you're wanting to learn to drive as it can give you some independence.

My suggestion would be to enquire with a driving instructor if they would be able to collect you from outside a supermarket or a specific public place. There are many people that get driving lessons around their work schedule, and it's not unheard of for them to start their lessons from their workplace rather than from their house. This might be an easier explanation than pretending you live on a random street, as you will need to provide some personal details for insurance and liability purposes.

Best of luck, hope you can figure something out 😊

Essex Student Rep - Hayley
As @EssexStudentRep says, they’ll pick you up from anywhere. Just choose a reasonably well known location and let them know. No need to go miles away (unless you really really want to or are scared of getting seen driving locally)
In short, yes.
Reply 4
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hiya 👋

It's great that you're wanting to learn to drive as it can give you some independence.

My suggestion would be to enquire with a driving instructor if they would be able to collect you from outside a supermarket or a specific public place. There are many people that get driving lessons around their work schedule, and it's not unheard of for them to start their lessons from their workplace rather than from their house. This might be an easier explanation than pretending you live on a random street, as you will need to provide some personal details for insurance and liability purposes.

Best of luck, hope you can figure something out 😊

Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Thanks, I'm actually trying to do this but at first they say they do cover the area but they need a postcode and when I tell them it'd be easier for me as it's my work area not where I live, then they say there's no instructors available in the area. I don't know if there actually aren't any instructors available or they won't accept me cos I can't give a postcode. Like I asked a few and they've all said the same 😩 for one I googled the postcode of the street I could meet and gave them some of it like ie B** * something and I got no reply as I messaged them on WhatsApp. I'll try some others but it feels like they're all going to say the same thing 😭

Maybe I should have a look at the area and pick somewhere well known like a supermarket like another comment said idk, would a bus station be ok?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Johnny Valentine
As @EssexStudentRep says, they’ll pick you up from anywhere. Just choose a reasonably well known location and let them know. No need to go miles away (unless you really really want to or are scared of getting seen driving locally)

I really don't want to do it in my area, can't risk my family finding out so going to the closest area next to mine like it's only 10 stops on the bus and I know no one in my family will ever go there. I've found a street to meet but it's probably not the best place to meet, I need to actually go there and have a look round as I only looked on Google maps, first I was thinking the bus station of that area but that's further away which I have been to but where would I meet the instructor as it's not really somewhere they could stop. Or would it be ok?
Reply 6
Update: I called one and they said we only pick up from residential address or work address. If I give an address of a supermarket will they check I work there because I don't. It's so frustrating. At this rate I'll never get my licence

Ignore the above, I found one that will pick up from anywhere, I called and asked if I could meet at a supermarket and which one and they said yes that should be fine, just need to add that in my booking form in requirement part which I've done just waiting to hear back now, I'm excited. Hopefully there'll be an instructor available and they're good.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymusy
Update: I called one and they said we only pick up from residential address or work address. If I give an address of a supermarket will they check I work there because I don't. It's so frustrating. At this rate I'll never get my licence

Ignore the above, I found one that will pick up from anywhere, I called and asked if I could meet at a supermarket and which one and they said yes that should be fine, just need to add that in my booking form in requirement part which I've done just waiting to hear back now, I'm excited. Hopefully there'll be an instructor available and they're good.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Good luck!

Thanks but I don't think it will happen as she's asked me to send a photo of my licence beforehand which I stupidly agreed to do but I'm not going to do so it's probably not going to happen. Probably have to cancel now. Only problem is I've been trying to find a new instructor but have been unsuccessful, they're all mostly fully booked or don't cover the area I want to learn in 😩
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending