The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

allymcb
I thought the bystander effect was where everyone expected someone else in ththan standing outside on your own, knowing that there is noone else.e group to do something? That makes (a little) more sense

At the end of the day if that 61 year old did some exercise and stopped snacking on donuts he wouldn't have died of coronary artery disease.

Anyway, would you risk your life to save someone you don't know?
Reply 81
steve2005
I would hope that you are correct. In this case the operator should have told the paramedic that the door was on the latch,( we don't know whether the operator did or did not do this) BUT the paramedic , who was obviously concerned about the open door should have contacted the dispatcher for an update. He had 16 minutes in which to make the call, instead of making this call he apparently called for Police backup.

It seems to me that the paramedic is at fault.

I doubt he could call the person who took the original call from the patient. In fact I doubt he would have ever met the call centre guy that took the call.
PrincePauper
in situations like these the paramedic has got to wait for backup from the police. He would otherwise put his life at risk too. its just a case of morality and job description.

..paramedics get payed little...I dont blame any of them for protecting themselves and finding out what the hell is going on before trying to help...some of the tits they have to deal with are complete scum
Reply 83
Sakujo
I doubt he could call the person who took the original call from the patient. In fact I doubt he would have ever met the call centre guy that took the call.

He should call the operator that sent him to the address. All operators will be connected to a computer system which logs the calls.
Reply 84
DuckBilledPlatypus
..paramedics get payed little...I dont blame any of them for protecting themselves and finding out what the hell is going on before trying to help...some of the tits they have to deal with are complete scum

This is ridiculous.

The door was on the latch because the caller had been instructed to leave it on the latch. The paramedic " thinks" an open door indicates a robbery. he jumped to the wrong conclusion.
learner_dancer
This was on The Daily Mail site. It is therefore invalid.

:lolwut:
Reply 86
DuckBilledPlatypus

I would think that most emergency calls from private addresses are from elderly people. To describe these people as above is a disgrace.

IF the call had been from a Public House, then I could understand a little caution.

Heart Attacks and Strokes affect the elderly and they need prompt attention.
Reply 87
Yet another example of our emergency services being tied down by ridiculous red tape and codes of conduct.
Reply 88
steve2005
I would think that most emergency calls from private addresses are from elderly people. To describe these people as above is a disgrace.

IF the call had been from a Public House, then I could understand a little caution.

Heart Attacks and Strokes affect the elderly and they need prompt attention.
I think the poster was reffering to the idiots that call out the emergency services for the wrong reasons, not the people that actually need them. You are forgetting the idiots that make prank calls and the thugs that call them out just to beat them up. It happens.
Reply 89
Simplicity
At the end of the day if that 61 year old did some exercise and stopped snacking on donuts he wouldn't have died of coronary artery disease.

Anyway, would you risk your life to save someone you don't know?

I think the health information and drives we have nowadays was too little too late for someone who would have grown up in the fifties.

I have no idea, I have never been in that situation. But that isn't really the point, the point is that I should and if I didn't I would deserve to 1. feel like crap and 2. be villified.
allymcb
Hundreds of thousands of ordinary people a year find themselves in a "live tactical situations without training, PPE, and sec.5 firearms to deal with it", due to the simple fact that it's their house being burgled. I wouldn't expect a neighbour, in possession of the knowledge that there was a casualty inside to stand outside the ******* door for twenty minutes, and I wouldn't expect a paramedic to either. Not because they are a paramedic, but because they are a citizen.

I'm glad you consider yourself disposable, most of us working for the Emergency Services have an aim , that aim is to make it to the end of the day, week, month, year and hopefully our career after many productive years in one piece.

the first rule of any emergency situation is to consider the risks, and where the risks to the individual are too great to minimise the risks and consequent injuries and/or fatalities.

DR C AcBC andStep 123 will mean plenty to any emergency services staff reading, failure to follow those principles poses a significant risk of unnecessary injuries and/or fatalities.
steve2005
He should call the operator that sent him to the address. All operators will be connected to a computer system which logs the calls.

the call taker, the responder desk dispatcher, the sector dispatcher, the calltaking supervisor or the dispatch supervisor or the access and response duty officer ?

Latest

Trending

Trending