The Student Room Group

Intermoleculer Forces (again)

What types of intermolecular force is (are) common to a) Xe and methanol (CH3OH), b) CH3OH and acetonitrile (CH3CN), c) NH3 and HF?

XE-CH3OH

London-molecule isn't non polar so can't be
Dipole-Dipole-moleclue is polar so dipole-dipole
Hydrogen-no N, O, F or C on the left so can't be
Ionic- Can't be because this isnt between a metal and nonmetal

CH3OH-CH3CN

London-the EN is very close i want to say this is a london
Dipole-Dipole-EN come close , the math would say its a close polar molecule so i'd say Dipole-Dipole
Hydrogen-I see H bonded to O and C but not sure if i'm making a mistake here to label this a hydrogen bond
Ionic- Can't be because this isn't between a metal and nonmetal

NH3-HF

London-isn't polar so can't be
Dipole-Dipole-is polar so does have this but hydrogen since of very high polarity
Hydrogen- H is bonded to an N and F so i'd assume this is a hydrogen bond

not exactly sure if the question was asking which do they all have in common jointly, if it was I would say Dipole-Dipole from what i wrote above. Please correct any flaws with my reasoning!
Reply 1
the next question is

Which member of the following pairs has the stronger intermolecular dispersion forces

a) Br2 or O2

b) CH3CH2SH or CH3CH2CH2CH2SH

c) CH3CH2CH2CL or (CH3)2 CHCL

I'm a bit confused on the wording of the question. Is it asking Molecule A vs Molecule B which has the stronger forces for each letter?
chstudent
What types of intermolecular force is (are) common to a) Xe and methanol (CH3OH), b) CH3OH and acetonitrile (CH3CN), c) NH3 and HF?

XE-CH3OH

London-molecule isn't non polar so can't be - wrong

CH3OH-CH3CN

Dipole-Dipole-EN come close , the math would say its a close polar molecule so i'd say Dipole-Dipole
Hydrogen-I see H bonded to O and C but not sure if i'm making a mistake here to label this a hydrogen bond

NH3-HF

Dipole-Dipole-is polar so does have this but hydrogen since of very high polarity

not exactly sure if the question was asking which do they all have in common jointly, if it was I would say Dipole-Dipole from what i wrote above. Please correct any flaws with my reasoning!

Van der Waals forces are induced dipole-dipole interactions and exist between ALL particles.
chstudent
the next question is

Which member of the following pairs has the stronger intermolecular dispersion forces

a) Br2 or O2

b) CH3CH2SH or CH3CH2CH2CH2SH

c) CH3CH2CH2CL or (CH3)2 CHCL

I'm a bit confused on the wording of the question. Is it asking Molecule A vs Molecule B which has the stronger forces for each letter?

The question is asking you to compare oxygen and bromine and say which has the greater dispersion forces.

THEN compare the next pair...

'Dispersion' is another way of describing Van der Waals forces. These are primarily related to the relative masses of the particles involved. If the masses are the same they are fine-tuned by the shape - more branching = weaker forces.
Reply 4
charco
Van der Waals forces are induced dipole-dipole interactions and exist between ALL particles.

So that means all of the examples would contain london dispersion forces?
chstudent
So that means all of the examples would contain london dispersion forces?

yes
Reply 6
XE-CH3OH

London-molecule isn't non polar so can't be - wrong (I'm confused on why this is wrong)
chstudent
XE-CH3OH

London-molecule isn't non polar so can't be - wrong (I'm confused on why this is wrong)

London forces don't require any dipole - just electrons :smile:
Reply 8
chstudent
the next question is

a) Br2 159.8gmol or O2 32gmol

therefore Br2 has stronger intermolecular dispersion forces

b) CH3CH2SH 62.15gmol or CH3CH2CH2CH2SH 90.21gmol

therefore CH3CH2CH2CH2SH has stronger intermolecular dispersion forces

c) CH3CH2CH2CL 78.55 or (CH3)2 CHCL 78.55

both have the same weight but i think CH3CH2CH2CL is stronger because it has less branches in the structure?

hey please double check my answers
Yeah - they're all good :yy:
Reply 10
chstudent

XE-CH3OH

London-seems like it can be this as well?

CH3OH-CH3CN

NH3-HF

i want to check over this question again as well. I reread the question and it seems to hint that there could be more than one force for each question. When i first went to solve i was just looking for one so i'm checking to see if i missed any?
Xe-CH3OH = London only
CH3OH-CH3CN = London + Dipole/Dipole
NH3-HF = London + Hydrogen bonding

:smile:

Latest