The Student Room Group

Why do people bother to join the armed forces?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's vital that we have strong armed forces and I respect our troops; however, I can't see why people would want to fight for a growing number of Britons who do not give a ****.

1) A growing number of zealous Muslims in this country, who generally don't have much sympathy for the armed forces. On here, Muslim members often counter any dedication to a dead soldier with 'but wot about tha billionz of civilians which die everyday?!1!1'. You then get the extremes who protest against the troops, heckling them as 'butchers' and even travel to Afghanistan to fight against them.

Why would you want to protect people (not all Muslims, of course) who hate you and want to fight against you?

2) Angsty, left-wing teenagers who have nothing better to do with their time than stand in the streets spouting their anti-war tripe, and often have a similar mentality to the zealous Muslims mentioned above. You also get the geriatric, nostalgic 1960s hippies who join this 'make peace not war' circus.

3) A government who is more worried about social engineering and counteracting 'discrimination' than providing the armed forces with proper equipment and resources.

4) A general mood amongst a large number of people in this country (perhaps due to foreign allegiances or just a feeling of indifference) who simply do not care about our armed forces.

Of course, I would say the majority of the population do support the armed forces (yes, including some Muslims and left-wingers), but I think a large enough proportion has developed to make one question as to why the armed forces would wish to risk their lives for such people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Diamond Diva
Don't get me wrong, I think it's vital that we have strong armed forces and I respect our troops; however, I can't see why people would want to fight for a growing number of Britons who do not give a ****.

Wow...
Not saying it's every person in the armed forces, but, some people don't have many other options.
Reply 3
1) For a start the amount of muslims who protest gainst the war is a tiny tiny minority. To answer your question "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your freedom to say it". All people deserve Liberty.

2) There are always going to be people against the war the solidiers recognise that but also understand taht the majority of people suport them.

3) You join the armed forces to fight for this country who ever the governemnt of the day is, I bet some of them are a bit angry with lack of equipment but they accept it and move on.

4) You seem to be bringing up race alot :rolleyes:
I don't agree with war/military conflict, I do, however, have a lot of respect for those brave enough to enter into such a thing, for I could never do it.
Reply 5
For money, for a guaranteed job, for the excitement/thrill, to protect their nation, .
Reply 6
You assume they're not selfish. It's an exciting career in itself, as well as a wage earner.
Reply 7
tucker672
4) You seem to be bringing up race alot :rolleyes:

Learn the definition of 'race' before you throw around such accusations. 'Foreign allegiances' has nothing to do with race, considering this could apply to Norwegians, Germans, etc.
somethingbeautiful
Not saying it's every person in the armed forces, but, some people don't have many other options.

This, because many of the people I know who are in the army would otherwise be in prison or sponging off the benefit system.
Reply 9
tucker672
1) For a start the amount of muslims who protest gainst the war is a tiny tiny minority. To answer your question "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your freedom to say it". All people deserve Liberty.
And which regiment are you in?
I was talking to someone who said they wanted to join the army to "kill some Pakis". I was going to correct him and say you would more likely be kill some Afgans but I didn't.
Reply 11
Let it all out OP. I beleive i would be classed as, how did you put it an

Angsty, left-wing teenagers who have nothing better to do with their time than stand in the streets spouting their anti-war tripe, and often have a similar mentality to the zealous Muslims mentioned above.

meh. I have no problem with people joining the armed forces, I can see the appeal, I just have a problem with the wars they are fighting.

bu
Reply 12
wilko1991
I was talking to someone who said they wanted to join the army to "kill some Pakis". I was going to correct him and say you would more likely be kill some Afgans but I didn't.
I call bull ****.
I do agree on your point that people should never protest against the soldiers themselves. They are doing a job and putting their lives on the line to serve this country in which we all live. Protests should be directed at the government and politicians, they are the real warmongerers who initiate military intervention.
I got lost on the way to McDonalds, personally.
Renal
I call bull ****.

It's not bull. He's just a total ****. I was speaking to him and he was like I'm going to join the army. Total looking forward to shooting at some pakis. Or something like that. He is a total ****.
Reply 16
my only problem is i disagree with many recent wars.

Also as they are very brave i would like to put people in the military on a pedestal. I just find it hard as around where i live many people in the armed forces have a reputation for unnecessary violence (bar fights etc).

Not saying i have no respect for people who faught the iraq war etc but if it was a war i saw a reason behind or agreed with i would have far more respect. Which is probably why WW2 veterans get lots of respect as the war they faught no one can really disagree with .
wilko1991
I'm pretty sure anyone with that mentality wouldn't get into the Army.
Depends where you live really.

The vast majority of enlistees in the US are those who don't have any prospects (i visited Montana and apparently saw the biggest wall of Vietnam and since war names memorial). The officers are generally in it either as careerists or to get an education.

In the UK i think it's mostly down to the same reasons (except the Officers, who tend to be careerists). I don't really know tbh. Most of the statistics i've ever seen have been about the US.

I imagine it would be very different in France which uptil recently used to have a conscript army and Germany which still does.
Reply 19
For those claiming it's purely a career choice for the financial and excitement rewards, I can certainly think of jobs with better pay which do not involve risking your life day after day and leaving your family behind, even if you (personally) don't have the best of career prospects.

Latest

Trending

Trending