The Student Room Group

Gap year help

Hi :smile:

So I've found myself unexpectedly taking a gap year, after having been rejected from medicine. I'd like to reapply this coming October.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck trying to figure out - very last minute - what I want to do for a whole year.

I was wondering if anyone could refer me to any good gap year programs. I'd like to work somewhere in Europe, and ideally save up a bit of money, all the while spending time with people my age and having a memorable 'gap year experience'. Any ideas?

Also, feel free to share any gap year experiences, I'm very curious to hear what it's like :o: Is there anyone else in my situation? I just don't want to be living home, alone with my parents, with not even school to keep me occupied.

Thanks in advance!
:lovehug:
Would you be interested in something like this? :http://www.projecttrust.org.uk/

If you are interested they are very good :yep: and highly reccommended. I know its not in europe but you said "like" so I was hoping there was some leniancy there if something good was suggested :p:
Reply 2
JumpingJonny
Would you be interested in something like this? :http://www.projecttrust.org.uk/

If you are interested they are very good :yep: and highly reccommended. I know its not in europe but you said "like" so I was hoping there was some leniancy there if something good was suggested :p:

Thanks for that, it looks good. Only thing is my parents want me to stay in Europe, and also should I (please God, please) be called to interview, I'll need to be able to easily get to unis in the UK.

Have you, or do you plan to take a gap year? :o:
vanilla camel
Thanks for that, it looks good. Only thing is my parents want me to stay in Europe, and also should I (please God, please) be called to interview, I'll need to be able to easily get to unis in the UK.

Have you, or do you plan to take a gap year? :o:

I am on a gap year next year, as if I magically get the grades I want then I can apply for medicine (similar to your situation). Me and a friend are backpacking around india and then asia for 6 months, feb to august ish. I will be regularly visiting internet cafe's to check emails, and I am inversting in a round the world ticket incase I get an interview.

However I dont think I will get the grades I want so I think I will be doing Biomeds at Manchester and haveing an awesome stress free trip next year :yep:

Best of luck with your grades and application!
Reply 4
well i am going on ia going on a gap year come semptmber. i will be voluntering in the carienbean for 9 months.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about you not getting onto your course. I hope you can turn this time you have gained into a positive one and that you may end up glad that this happened to you!

I've just come back from an expedition with Raleigh International. It is really good if your parents are concerned about your safety as they have an excellent safety record and 25 years experience and your parents can see what you are doing and contact you through a blog.

I spent 10 weeks in Borneo working on 3 different projects. You do a community project (where we brought clean water to a village through a gravity water feed and dam that we built), you also do an environmental project where you work in conservation areas that cannot be accessed by tourists, working to protect the areas, you also do an adventure phase which is a real challenge, I did scuba diving and a 12 day trek through the jungle.

You work and live in small groups (around 12) of a diverse group of young people. There is a day leader system and Raleigh focus on personal development, which is really good when writing UCAS or a CV. You learn leadership, teamwork, and problem solving abilities and the group you are in changes each project so you get to meet loads of people.

I think you can nominate someone at home to deal with any UCAS enquiries while you are away can't you?

Raleigh is the best thing I've ever done and everyone else who has done it loves it too. I've also heard project trust is really good, but Raleigh is good for a short term opportunity with a combination of experiences on offer, which you could combine with some independent travel - or just get back to your uni applying.

Its also a charity so you can fundraise!

Check out their website http://www.raleighinternational.org/our-expeditions/gap-year

Good luck - I hope something works out for you
:smile:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for the advice :smile:
I really appreciate it, however, I do need to be in Europe. Also my application has to be sent in by October, so anything I do on my gap year won't be mentioned in the application, although I might gloss over my plans in the PS.

It sounds so selfish, but I really would like to be earning some money. My parents will be supporting me for the next five years in uni, so to save up some of my own money would be lovely.

Has anyone out there worked during their gap year, and had a good experience doing it? I'd like to be around people my own age - all of my friends have moved off to different countries, so I'm all by my lonesom :bawling:
Hmm... I remember seeing some placements in France where you get to teach at a skiing resort and earn money and they train you up and everything but helpfully, I can't remember what website/company it was with! I'll have a look out for you if you're interested.
Reply 8
diamonddust
Hmm... I remember seeing some placements in France where you get to teach at a skiing resort and earn money and they train you up and everything but helpfully, I can't remember what website/company it was with! I'll have a look out for you if you're interested.

Thanks for the post, but tbh I'm more of a blue slope/thinks-red-slopes-are-too-much-hassle type girl, so I don't think I'd be a very good skiing instructor :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Hey there! I am in exactly the same situation as you. How is your work experience med wise? If it's a bit thin on the ground (like mine) then why not stay in england and work or volunteer until after the applications cycle. You could always travel next summer once your place at med school is secure? (That is my plan!)
Kelly^2
Hey there! I am in exactly the same situation as you. How is your work experience med wise? If it's a bit thin on the ground (like mine) then why not stay in england and work or volunteer until after the applications cycle. You could always travel next summer once your place at med school is secure? (That is my plan!)

Yay, I'm not alone! That is actually kind of what I'm planning to do, I'm desperately writing to loads of hospitals, asking them if they have any voluntary work for me. I want to go up to England in Aug/Sep, get WE, and then go back to Denmark to apply again through my school.

I don't think there's much point getting W.E after the application's been sent off, because a lot of unis only care about the stuff you've done before your application was sent off, so in October I want to be able to work and save up some money - maybe work with dogs/cats, I'm good with animals.

Where are you planning to get your W.E, by the by? Feel free to PM me if you like :biggrin:

Latest