The Student Room Group

Getting a Part Time Job

I've had a search of older threads but hoping for some more advice specific to my case.

I really hope to get a job to supplement my income come September. Preferably retail as thats where I have experience and I actually quite liked it!

Is it still easy to get a retail job in a city, what with blah bah economy blah blah?

Obviously it seems the best way to bag a job is early September before everyone arrives, my problem is I live 3 hours away and it's not really possible for me to get down there. I've found a lot of online places where I can keep an eye out for vacancies so could I apply a week or so before and just inform them that I could travel down for interview but couldn't start till X date or whatever - has anyone tried this?

And finally and I figure this is going to be the biggest hurdle, once I get past the first 6 weeks and hit placement some of my hospital shifts may be weekend I don't know how regular this will be are there any places which are especially forgiving and flexible?

Any help, advice and pointers much appreciated :smile:
Im pretty much in the same boat, im 22 and i am leaving quite a well paid job to go to uni well.-ish lol. i know im gonna have to get a part time job pretty much straight away. i have retail and bar experience , i mean whats the best way to go about it? any advice would be good , cheers
Personally I've been looking for a retail job now for the last month and can't find a single thing. It's worrying, especially as I've given up a 15k first job to go back to university this year. I think the best thing to do is print off your CV and leave it with as many shops round Manchester as you can. Also have a look on this website http://www.e4s.co.uk/search/part-time-jobs for any part-time work cropping up - I can't find anything at the moment but there are application forms to print off which you can send off with your CV anyway. Hope this helped. It's gonna be a hard year.
Reply 3
Your concerns about being able to find a job once you come to Manchester are very common, and I would say the majority are facing the same situation. So the good news is that you're not the only one! The other good news is that Manchester is a big big city and there will always be a job which suits you and the employer.. the hard part is finding it of course. I run a new website just for Manchester students, with one of the biggest sections listing current part-time job vacancies well suited to students in Manchester, you can find it here http://www.savethestudent.org/student-jobs-f24.html.

The Careers service (UoM) is also invaluable and an excellent, underused resource. The have produced a handout/guide to finding and applying for part-time jobs. It's a PDF, which you can find here: http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/downloads/publications/essentialsseriesofhandouts/parttimejobs-findingandapplying/fileuploadmax10mb,161415,en.pdf

I would definately recommend you have a skim over that to give you confidence and improve your chances of finding a job. Don't give up looking, and good luck to you! If you need any other advice more generally about student life in Manchester I'd be happy to chat! Or check out the link in my sig :smile:
Reply 4
If you have a current job try get a store transfer, i was lucky and got one :smile:
I've been applying for jobs off and on for the past few months- my job finished in July and I was prepared to move up and rent a room until September came when I moved into halls (I'm that desperate for a job). I've had no luck so far :-(
Reply 6
Beckieee
If you have a current job try get a store transfer, i was lucky and got one :smile:

I've asked for this :smile: Dunno whether I'll get one though.

Latest

Trending

Trending