The Student Room Group

19-year-old From central europe

hello. im 19 year old and im from Poland (country in central europe), and i want to get to oxford school of buisness since i was 13... how can i do it? is that possible? what activitives are preferred? i was helping my father with his company so i have some kind of expirience. i don't have problems with speaking english, but ofcourse im not perfect yet. how does studying on Oxford Said School of Buisness look, how is it like? and what are the expectations? what have i to do if i want to study on Oxford?
Reply 1
You'll need to have very good academic exam results... That's the main thing.

Expectations? To be the best of the bunch :smile:

I'm not sure how internationals apply, but I'm pretty sure you have to do it through UCAS, which is the application service for British universities.
Reply 2
just a tip, you can assume people in the oxford university forum to know what poland is and its geographical location
Aslong as you're good on plough.
hec
just a tip, you can assume people in the oxford university forum to know what poland is and its geographical location

You have a point, but that's just a thing we do around here when talking about our country to foreigners we make sure they know what we're talking about to avoid awkward conversations such as
"Hi, I'm from Hungary."
"What, you're hungry?"
"No, I'm from Hungary, that's a country in central Europe"
Reply 5
Mangaartist
You have a point, but that's just a thing we do around here when talking about our country to foreigners we make sure they know what we're talking about to avoid awkward conversations such as
"Hi, I'm from Hungary."
"What, you're hungry?"
"No, I'm from Hungary, that's a country in central Europe"

i have to say that you have right. it's very anoying to explain all the time that Poland is country again (WWII).

i will finish high school next year. right now im studying at main ecomonics school in poland (it's a private school which is a part of the economics university)... and i will pass IB ofcourse...

from Your answers conclude that first i have to past some undergraduate studies, and then try to get to Oxford Buisness School, right?
Reply 6
abrk
i have to say that you have right. it's very anoying to explain all the time that Poland is country again (WWII).

i will finish high school next year. right now im studying at main ecomonics school in poland (it's a private school which is a part of the economics university)... and i will pass IB ofcourse...

from Your answers conclude that first i have to past some undergraduate studies, and then try to get to Oxford Buisness School, right?

I don't think so.. They have undergraduate courses too!!

You can apply for 2010 via UCAS.
Reply 7
Athena
Firstly, have you started an undergraduate degree in Poland yet? You can't study at the Said Business School as an undergraduate - you might have lectures or tutorials there if you study PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) or E&M (Economics and Management). The SBS mainly offers Masters of various kinds (eg, MBA) and PhDs.

so what does that mean?

and i have one more question. does fact that i was helping my father with his company (for a year or two, but unofficialy because it was illegal), changes anything? is that something which i can boast?
Read first:
1) http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/economics_and_management/economics_and_4.html - the course.
2)http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/index.html - for international applicants generally
3) Qualifications: "Polish Matura / Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci with 85-90% in all subjects with the relevant subjects taken at the higher (extended) level. " as a minimum.

DtS
Reply 9
i won't pass "Polish Matura", but IB (international one), and there won't be problems to achieve that minimum.

Derek_the_Sheep

and of course thanks a lot for the links. as i saw they are very usefull...
Reply 10
so is there any possibility to do undergraduate studies in my country and then go to postgraduate to UK?? it have some good points, because i can get some experience (for example) as financial adviser, am i right?
Reply 11
abrk
so is there any possibility to do undergraduate studies in my country and then go to postgraduate to UK?? it have some good points, because i can get some experience (for example) as financial adviser, am i right?

To clarify, what is your preference - an undergraduate degree or a postgraduate degree?

In addition to the other links, a couple of other undergraduate degrees that include economics:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_4.html
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/engineering_economics_and_management/engineering_4.html
Reply 12
Athena
Yes, of course - I'd guess a higher proportion of postgraduates than undergraduates come from outside the UK.

Yes, a much higher proportion of graduate students (around two thirds) are from outside the UK.
Reply 13
so i think that i'll make undergraduate studies in Warsaw Economy School and maybe gain some experience, and then go to postgraduate studies to UK... is that good idea??
Reply 14
abrk
so i think that i'll make undergraduate studies in Warsaw Economy School and maybe gain some experience, and then go to postgraduate studies to UK... is that good idea??

Yes, I think so. Then you can improve your English even more (though it is already good!), and have more chance of getting in for a postgraduate.
Reply 15
BJack
Yes, a much higher proportion of graduate students (around two thirds) are from outside the UK.

For social sciences it's almost 75%, actually, (much lower for humanities courses, though, obviously, so on average the percentage is around two thirds, as you say).

Latest

Trending

Trending