The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think its fantastic
Reply 2
The link is broken.
Reply 3
I think its horrible, how can the UK let universities like these get set up? Has quality really dropped this low? I guess no ones going to care that these people are being ripped off though since they're foreigners.
Reply 4
But... don't you think that those colleges are a real damage to the name of UK education?
Reply 5
Haven't you seen the 'War on Everything' where they get a dog a fake phd in medicine and take it into a hospital to apply for jobs?
Reply 6
In relation to this, 'Dr' Hubbard of Scientology fame gave himself a PhD from a sham institution that he owned.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6740831.ece
Reply 7
I see so many of these "universities" while travelling around London and I always wonder how they get away with it and how they manage to get students. Their "campuses" are slim, squashed in between sweet shops with tiny rooms with a few computers inside and that's it :lolwut:
Reply 8
Unknown?
I think its horrible, how can the UK let universities like these get set up? Has quality really dropped this low? I guess no ones going to care that these people are being ripped off though since they're foreigners.

I agree with you. However, I don't think that the quality of education in the UK is bad, in fact is really good. The problem, is that some people are using this fact, to set up rubbish ''colleges'' (everyone can use the term 'college'), and thus, making money illegally, and usually, by tricking foreigners (people from SE Asia, Eastern Europe, etc...)
marcosgll
But... don't you think that those colleges are a real damage to the name of UK education?

I mean, I'm going to study at Imperial College; but imagine that someday some employer asks me if my college is one of those bogus colleges. I would be really angry and frustrated, becouse almost everybody know that Imperial is the 3rd best Uni in the UK...

If an employer didn't know Imperial College London (in your words, ''the 3rd best university in the country''), I dare say you could do a little better.
Half-thought the article would be about Sport Science degrees at Canterbury or something akin to "degrees" of such pointless dross.
Why don't people do the research on these "colleges" before they come here?!
Reply 12
If you're stupid enough to buy into something without doing the research then you deserve to be scammed.

smellslikemarmite
Why don't people do the research on these "colleges" before they come here?!

Exactly!
Reply 13
Zedd
If you're stupid enough to buy into something without doing the research then you deserve to be scammed.

Exactly!

Good point
Reply 14
I believe the appropriate phrase is "look before you leap".

marcosgll

Not really.

imagine that someday some employer asks me if [Imperial] is one of those bogus colleges.

I'd walk out of any such interview, safe in the knowledge that said employer is a moron.
Reply 15
Hmph this is nothing compared to some of the 419 e-mail scams which we nigerians do all the time. Though this really was a sad case.
Reply 16
pffft, even collages :troll: now
A first class degree from india but no common sense.
Reply 18
Poor guy, although you've got to wonder why he didn't say anything earlier (hmm maybe he did complain to someone or other).
Reply 19
Article
Earlier that year I received an email from a person who claimed that my CV had been selected for a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) course in London.

Not being funny, but this reminds me of the whole, you have been selected to be given $1 million from my dead father's bank account because it can't be given to me.

Seems obvious it was a scam... no?

Latest

Trending

Trending