The Student Room Group

Teach English in Taiwan - Take a Year Off

Hi,

I lived in the States for most of my childhood and I received an Associate of the Arts degree there before returning back to England. It's basically a 2-year college degree.

I found a recent article https://tealit.com/article_categories.php?section=arcs&article=requirements-to-teach-english-in-taiwan-in-2023 and it seems like I could start teaching in Taiwan with my Associates degree IF I had a TEFL certificate.

I am ALMOST finished with an online TEFL certificate! :biggrin:

And, I've got mates over there who say that one CAN get hired with just a 2-year degree and the TEFL, though the article reference seems to pour cold water on that.

My question is...I came back to the UK specifically to take a 4-year degree. But, I've been sidetracked for one reason or another. I'm just about ready to make the big uni decision but...I feel like I want to take at least ONE year to go abroad and teach.

It will delay my education - but I think the experience would be worth it. I've got the BASIC qualifications. What would you suggest? Is just a year teaching English abroad worth it?
Reply 1
Sorry for late reply, only just joined this forum.
With a 2 years Associates degree being classed like a Higher National Certificate, it might be possible to top it up with the final two years at university here.
Online TEFL certificates are not always accepted by employers.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending