The Student Room Group

Is it okay to reference non-academic articles in essays?

For example, articles written by journalists who aren't exactly academics themselves and are just reporting.
Original post by Nice_100
For example, articles written by journalists who aren't exactly academics themselves and are just reporting.

Hi @Nice_100,

I would say yes it is okay, academics would be better however sometimes the information is only found by articles written by journalists. I have referenced articles by BBC News and The Guardian for example and never had any issues off my lecturer. They have been regarding recent disasters where papers have not been written on them yet so there wasn't an option to use an academic journal in that instance.

However if you are worried there could be issues with this then I would recommend getting in contact with the person who would be marking this work and maybe also checking the assignment brief/criteria as sometimes it can include for my instance the references they are expecting.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Hey there @Nice_100 !

Yes of course it is. I do it all the time for my Media degree. If you're referencing in APA then all you have to do is include a URL link to the article in your reference list and also include the date of when you've found the quote you've used. Look it up online to make sure you're putting everything in the right order but the short answer is yes you can cite articles. You can also cite YouTube videos if you'd like, I believe you put in the timestamp and video author for that.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

I think it is okay to use other sources in an essay. However, it is important to make sure the sources are reliable and the data is trust worthy. I often use data from the Guardian to showcase public views on the matter. Long as you incorporate it properly into the argument, it should be fine.

Good luck with your essay.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending