The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah, I already know about the personal statements importance. Thanks for replying. I think I got a fair chance.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Hopefully me.

I got AAA (History, RS, German) BB (English Lit, Critical Thinking) at AS. However, that B will (hopefully) be pulled up to an A with a resit, as it was down to one very bad module that was completely unusual for me. I'm going to get that to be explained in my reference - luckily my form tutor, who will write my reference, is also my English teacher. So that should, fingers crossed, be ok. I'll be applying for History. I'm hoping to continue History, RS, German and English Lit on to A2, but may only be able to continue three of these.
Reply 22
ScoCmac
Recieved my Higher results this year with A in English Physics and History and B in Computing and Maths and despite being pleased with these I'm really worried that these may not be enough to get accepted into Edinburgh to do Law.

I know they say that BBBB is the requirements however to me that feels lower than many other places.

Really I'm just wondering what anyone here who is doing Law had when they went to Edinburgh and whether they think what I have will be good enough to get accepted

Thx :biggrin:

I didn't apply to do Law but I know someone who got an unconditional for law and I'm pretty sure he had either the same or lower grades than yourself

Mind you he does stay within Edinburgh and has a better change but I think you'll be fine. There entry requirements are low but most people exceed this and I think Edinburgh does this because when the results are published they are not like other unis who may reconsider. They will tend to stick to there guns by stating that there entry requirements are reasonable.
Reply 23
john-milton
I've got a confirmed place on UCAS, but no confirmation letter or accommodation offer as of yet (I'll give them a ring if i have neither by 30th)... but does anyone know when we move in (hoping for a place in pollock halls) and I'm presuming that freshers week starts at the same time??

We move in to Pollock on the 12th September, and Freshers week is from 12th to 20th! :yep:
Reply 24
I received an offer for MA History in October..
Reply 25
craig409
I didn't apply to do Law but I know someone who got an unconditional for law and I'm pretty sure he had either the same or lower grades than yourself

Mind you he does stay within Edinburgh and has a better change but I think you'll be fine. There entry requirements are low but most people exceed this and I think Edinburgh does this because when the results are published they are not like other unis who may reconsider. They will tend to stick to there guns by stating that there entry requirements are reasonable.

Yeah I stay within Edinburgh's "preferential treatment zone" as my PSE teacher calls it basically giving places to those in Edinburgh and the Lothians ahead of others.

Just really worried I'm hoping for an unconditional and I know thats down to personal Statements etc however I am desperate to relieve myself of pressure this year as last year I was panicking the whole time and despite coming out reasonably well in the end I just wish I had relaxed and chilled out a bit more.

(Yes I do notice that worrying about if I will be able to relax this year is a contradiction on a weird scale but thats just me)

Reply 26
Haha...I remember 5th as being one of the worst years for generally work load :P

Well even if you do get a conditional its not the end of the world because you will not get a very high conditional if it comes to that :P

Look at me I got 3 B's last year and I applied there and got an offer :P (of 2B's), now you have better grades than what I have now all together =D

Imo I think you will get an Uncondtional (if you nail the PS which you should be able to do with your English skills and a little bit of thought =D) or if not an unconditional you will be asked for something like one B :P

Just get that UCAS form sent away ASAP and you'll have no worries
Reply 27
Thanks for that :biggrin: yeah we are starting UCAS on Monday :biggrin:

Reply 28
ScoCmac
Thanks for that :biggrin: yeah we are starting UCAS on Monday :biggrin:

Cool, then you'll have to wait for the long reply xD

Good luck anyway:smile:
Reply 29
Yeah thanks for that :P
Reply 30
I'll be applyin to study Spanish and Arabic at Edinburgh in 2010.
I got weird results AADEU. A real mixed bag. Im doing another AS combined with A2 next year so hopefully i'll get AAA at a-level if not A*AA. :smile:
Reply 31
ScoCmac
Yeah I stay within Edinburgh's "preferential treatment zone" as my PSE teacher calls it basically giving places to those in Edinburgh and the Lothians ahead of others.

Just really worried I'm hoping for an unconditional and I know thats down to personal Statements etc however I am desperate to relieve myself of pressure this year as last year I was panicking the whole time and despite coming out reasonably well in the end I just wish I had relaxed and chilled out a bit more.

(Yes I do notice that worrying about if I will be able to relax this year is a contradiction on a weird scale but thats just me)

Yeah i'd say you have a good chance of getting an unconditional.

Edinburgh lowered the grades in the prospectus to BBBB for reasons of wider participation, ie. encouraging less confident students from state school to apply and not be put off by the high grade requirement. Before that the required grades were actually AAAAB.

In addition to lowering the grades in the prospectus, they also give you extra points on your application if:

1. you are from edinburgh and lothians and went to state school
2. you went to a state school wth a low rate of participation in higher education.

A few of my friends had AAABB, and got conditionals from glasgow and unconditionals from ed, probably because they went to state school. I had AAAAB and went to state school, and got a UC within weeks - so i quit school in the December of 6th yr. Majority of student still have really high grades though.
Reply 32
Thanks alot for that globalista I fall into both categories there with my school so I am now relaxing :P
Reply 33
After failing to get into my firm and my insurance this year, i shall be reapplying to uni - with Edinburgh hopefully being one of my choices.

I'm just concered about the minimum required /true grades needed!
Reply 34
.Scout.
After failing to get into my firm and my insurance this year, i shall be reapplying to uni - with Edinburgh hopefully being one of my choices.

I'm just concered about the minimum required /true grades needed!

What were your grades?
Reply 35
I'm thinking about putting down Edinburgh as one of my five choices (applying for history 2010).

Theres a few things that are worrying me though. I've just recieved my AS results and got four As in History, English Lit, Geography and Sociology.

However, my GCSEs are extremely average (mostly Bs + Cs). Will this put me at a disadvantage or will it not matter too much in light of my A-Level results? I got a C in GCSE German, so I guess I have the modern language requirement.

My other worry is that I'll be 19 when starting Uni next September. What is the average age of first year undergrads at Edinburgh? Will a large number be 17?
Reply 36
I think I'm gonna apply for MEL (French and Spanish) for '10 entry, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I was much more taken with Glasgow at the Open Day but I might apply to both anyway :p:
Reply 37
DrGonzo
I'm thinking about putting down Edinburgh as one of my five choices (applying for history 2010).

Theres a few things that are worrying me though. I've just recieved my AS results and got four As in History, English Lit, Geography and Sociology.

However, my GCSEs are extremely average (mostly Bs + Cs). Will this put me at a disadvantage or will it not matter too much in light of my A-Level results? I got a C in GCSE German, so I guess I have the modern language requirement.

My other worry is that I'll be 19 when starting Uni next September. What is the average age of first year undergrads at Edinburgh? Will a large number be 17?

My standard grades (our version of GCSE's) were around the same as yours :P so I wouldn't worry to much about them as long as you meet the minimum GCSE requirements on their page.

Most people start University at 18/19 with some people starting at 17 :P - I only ever knew one person at my school who went at 17. In fact I just thought the other day that I know more 19 year olds going this year than 18 xD - But yeah most are 18/19
Reply 38
DrGonzo

Oh god, that thought hadn't even crossed my mind... I'll be 20 next year! Brrr
Reply 39
synvilla
What were your grades?

I got ABC in English, French and Art.
With retakes i'll be able to get it to AAC, but because i can't re-take any modules in Art, i'm doing an intensive A level in Politics in a year. Hopefully i will get a B in that

Latest

Trending

Trending