The Student Room Group

Tips on concentrating

Hi what do you do to focus your mind when you just feel tired but not physically tired just lazy mental tiredness, do I need more exercise or something I am very lazy especially at this time of year.

I cant thinkkkkkkkkkkk what am I doing wrongggg its probably some kind of self inflicted mental thing I done to myself to be lazy I dont know but I tried for a week to do my maths coursework I KNEW EXACTLY what to do but I just couldnt do it properly! I stared at it for hours sometimes doing 1 calculation some dumb song playing in my head or staring into space.

How do you concentrate, how do you focus your mind and wake it up, especially when you know you can do something, you know ur able just not in the state of mind your in
Reply 1
AndrewJameson
Hi what do you do to focus your mind when you just feel tired but not physically tired just lazy mental tiredness, do I need more exercise or something I am very lazy especially at this time of year.

imagine owning a mansion
AndrewJameson

It all depends on what you are focussing your mind on....if it's work/revision my best suggestion is do a lot in free time at school, school has far fewer distractions than at home (such as this wonderful forum :biggrin:).
Reply 3
king of swords
It all depends on what you are focussing your mind on....if it's work/revision my best suggestion is do a lot in free time at school, school has far fewer distractions than at home (such as this wonderful forum :biggrin:).

i'm the opposite, my friends distract me when i'm in college *even if i go sit in the silent section of our library, someone always has some kinda crisis*... actually at home i'm not much better....

chocolate always makes me feel better though.

lou xxx
I just meditate for 7 hours a week
jus tell ur self to stop being a d**k and get ur head down cez u'll only wish ud revised when its the night b4 ur exam.

try remmeberin the way u felt wen u ddint do as well as u cud of in ur last exams cex u ddint revise. that shud get u concentratin on ur subject!

oh yeh, and the "think of urself in a mansion" thing rlly works. i usually think "aston martin"
Reply 6
AndrewJameson

I cant thinkkkkkkkkkkk what am I doing wrongggg its probably some kind of self inflicted mental thing I done to myself to be lazy I dont know but I tried for a week to do my maths coursework I KNEW EXACTLY what to do but I just couldnt do it properly! I stared at it for hours sometimes doing 1 calculation some dumb song playing in my head or staring into space.

How do you concentrate, how do you focus your mind and wake it up, especially when you know you can do something, you know ur able just not in the state of mind your in

I know EXACTLY what you mean I am exactly the same as you. I don't have any tips because I am exactly the same. But I think I may start going to the library more often to avoid distractions, maybe that will work.
Reply 7
mrmarsupial
I just meditate for 7 hours a week

Do you really meditate? Does it help? I probably couldn't even concentrate enough to meditate.
Reply 8
poke smot!
Reply 9
AndrewJameson

u'r in EXACTLY the same situation as me... which is a bit scary! :biggrin:
i've got maths c/wk AND i knoew wot to do but i just cant b bothered!!! :mad:
Reply 10
caz
poke smot!

Now that is at least a sure way to unplug all learnimng capabilities.

Ironically, the first thing cannabi strikes at is the short term memory and learning capabilities. If you want to use some sort of drug to stimulate yoru concentration, you should go for a stimulant instead. Caffeine is a well tested... Otherwise 8 hours of sleep really helps. Because of Linda I slept only 6 hours last night and I didnt learn shit today (Gotta love that girl...).
Reply 11
AndrewJameson

...turn off your pc
Saf!
u'r in EXACTLY the same situation as me... which is a bit scary! :biggrin:
i've got maths c/wk AND i knoew wot to do but i just cant b bothered!!! :mad:

EXACTLY the same a me too!
edders
...turn off your pc

Good point
Reply 14
*Quiet* music helps some people concentrate. Unfortunately for me (+ everyone around me), i end up singing, and have started writing the song down before!
Jonatan
Now that is at least a sure way to unplug all learnimng capabilities.

Ironically, the first thing cannabi strikes at is the short term memory and learning capabilities. If you want to use some sort of drug to stimulate yoru concentration, you should go for a stimulant instead. Caffeine is a well tested... Otherwise 8 hours of sleep really helps. Because of Linda I slept only 6 hours last night and I didnt learn shit today (Gotta love that girl...).

You need some amphetamine WHIZZ! Or if that fails try Red Bull!
Reply 16
I could sure benefit from the advice in this post, because of my lack of motivation and general laziness here I am at 3 in the morning posting this. But only to offer my advice, so here goes.

First and most important, fuel! You need a decent munch before or during your working to keep your energy up. PFC usually works for me, chicken and chips aiii! And as for a drink go for coffee as the caffeine is very effective, and you can put sugar in it, sugar = energy! My personal favourite is mocha, it tastes best.

Try revising with one, up to two, people, who are doing the same thing. Any more than that and it turns into chat and you deviate from work. Alone you tend to get bored. And as for revising with someone doing a different subject, the pair of you get bored much quicker as you might be looking to the other person to break the silence but for fear of putting them off their work, and vice versa. One or two people doing the same thing will ensure that everyone keeps each other on task but is not bored stiff as you might still chat a bit.

One thing that hinders me, particularly at this time of year, is my inner temperature. If I'm cold in the chest my body wants to fall asleep to stop the heat loss, I have made the embarassing blunder of falling asleep on a library table oops! But then I was on my own and underfed, had a mocha and it was alright! Keep warm enough to be alert but not so warm that it distracts. This reinforces the first point on fuel of course.

And staying away from this forrum might help!

Different things work for different people, the above is what does the trick for me so maybe you can give it a go... now back to my coursework, ooh statistics! Just have to masturbate with joy (!)...
Boy!! Do I know that feeling..! :mad:
but i found out that early in the morning after a good night sleep ,before anyone else is awake ,around 4am,is my time to study ..Just make sure and WAKE UP!!And think about where u wanna go and what u hav to do to get there... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending