The Student Room Group

Anyone got any tips for staying focused

I struggle with staying focused for long periods of time, I have loads of work to do but I end up slacking off the rest of the day. Anyone got tips for staying focused and concentrated on tasks and work.
Original post by Anonymous
I struggle with staying focused for long periods of time, I have loads of work to do but I end up slacking off the rest of the day. Anyone got tips for staying focused and concentrated on tasks and work.

Commenting for good tips cause I have the same problem. It's a nightmare.
Reply 2
Instead of sitting at your desk for hours trying to do all your work in one go, do maybe 30 minutes of work at a time with 5 minute breaks in between. I suggest watching a study with me youtube video as it feels like you're not alone and seeing someone else do their work should motivate you too. Also, a life saver for me, I use an app called Forest and it has helped so much for when I was revising for my year 12 mocks.
You could try to not listen to music as it could be a distraction, or put your phone or any potentially distracting devices in another room or with another person and tell them to give it back after a specific amount of time.
Honestly, it all comes down to how you pace yourself and set goals. If you do too much at once you will lose motivation. And if the goals that you're setting are not realistic or achievable, the same thing will happen. If you want this to be a permanent change, then I suggest you start off slow with maybe doing 25 minutes of work and 10 minutes resting for 3 or 4 sets and then work your way up to more time and less breaks. I hope this helped!
Original post by Sanji.m
Instead of sitting at your desk for hours trying to do all your work in one go, do maybe 30 minutes of work at a time with 5 minute breaks in between. I suggest watching a study with me youtube video as it feels like you're not alone and seeing someone else do their work should motivate you too. Also, a life saver for me, I use an app called Forest and it has helped so much for when I was revising for my year 12 mocks.
You could try to not listen to music as it could be a distraction, or put your phone or any potentially distracting devices in another room or with another person and tell them to give it back after a specific amount of time.
Honestly, it all comes down to how you pace yourself and set goals. If you do too much at once you will lose motivation. And if the goals that you're setting are not realistic or achievable, the same thing will happen. If you want this to be a permanent change, then I suggest you start off slow with maybe doing 25 minutes of work and 10 minutes resting for 3 or 4 sets and then work your way up to more time and less breaks. I hope this helped!

Thank you so much!! They're really good tips omg
Reply 4
Original post by HighlightOfUrDay
Thank you so much!! They're really good tips omg

I'm so glad you found it useful! There are so many different ways to concentrate that I didn't mention, so if you feel that these methods are not working for you then research into different techniques online. There is definitely going to be a way that works for you, so keep trying and don't give up! :smile:
Original post by Sanji.m
I'm so glad you found it useful! There are so many different ways to concentrate that I didn't mention, so if you feel that these methods are not working for you then research into different techniques online. There is definitely going to be a way that works for you, so keep trying and don't give up! :smile:

Thank you! It was super useful, I'll definitely give the Study with me's a try!! You're an absolute star!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending