The Student Room Group

revision help for year 9 maths

now I know I shouldn't be stressing out about revising in year 9 since I haven't even started my GCSEs yet, but the thing is I want to become an astronomer, and to become an astronomer I need to do a-level maths, and most sixth forms/colleges require you to get at least a 6 in GCSE maths, BUT the thing is my school said that that if you aren't in top set maths, you automatically do foundation maths and I'm in 3rd set, and that might not seem that bad but my school only has 4 sets, yea...

and I know we're only like 2 months into the school year but i barely learned anything in year 8 because my poor teacher could not control the class one bit and I couldn't concentrate for the life of me, and now I'm in the exact same situation, my teacher can't control the class and I can't concentrate. so I'm just gonna try and revise for my end of term test to see if I can move up soo any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by till_ee
now I know I shouldn't be stressing out about revising in year 9 since I haven't even started my GCSEs yet, but the thing is I want to become an astronomer, and to become an astronomer I need to do a-level maths, and most sixth forms/colleges require you to get at least a 6 in GCSE maths, BUT the thing is my school said that that if you aren't in top set maths, you automatically do foundation maths and I'm in 3rd set, and that might not seem that bad but my school only has 4 sets, yea...

and I know we're only like 2 months into the school year but i barely learned anything in year 8 because my poor teacher could not control the class one bit and I couldn't concentrate for the life of me, and now I'm in the exact same situation, my teacher can't control the class and I can't concentrate. so I'm just gonna try and revise for my end of term test to see if I can move up soo any tips?

Hello, what's really helped me is trying out test papers online (try foundation and build your way up to Higher papers) and use maths websites like Corbett maths that give you tutorials on the things you struggle with. You can even find out what topics your unsure about and just go over it on there. Hope this helps 😊
Reply 2
Original post by till_ee

Im not sure which exam board will u be using (a good thing to ask ahead if u plan to stay in the same school for gcse n alevel btw), but edexcel math textbooks have examples that explain questions to you in a simple way. Hope that helps
Original post by till_ee

I recommend what the first person said and also to use maths genie website as they have the topics sorted in grades. So you can work your way up and fix simple mistakes. GCSE maths tutor on youtube is also good for explaining topics and going through last minute topics on papers. You just need to understand the topic through exam questions and practice a lot. I improved from a 5 to a 7/8 in 3 months through this! You are also only in year 9 so you won't have learnt all the content and you have chances to move up sets if you really want to. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest