Child nursing degree personal statement example (1c) voluntary work

I am passionate about making a difference to people’s lives. Nursing is a career that fulfils this ambition. Having been part of a large family I have been learnt to help others and to do the best I can in everything. I am inspired to be a nurse by my mother who shared her experiences about her nursing career. Her advice and experiences are still an inspiration. I believe Nursing is a career that I would excel at because I love dealing with people and empathising with their problems. I am hard working, motivated and compassionate. I believe these personality traits are important in order to do the job properly. Nursing is a vocational career and it comes with rewards if you have the correct attitude. My A-level studies have fed into my career choice in an unusually interesting way. Sociology has taught me the correct way of treating individuals and about different background. Photography has given me an awareness of the importance of colour and arrangement. Colour can enhance ones mood and lift their spirits. I am fascinated in the way colour, space and light are currently being factored in to a new hospital design. Studying English has taught me the value of clear expression an important skill when writing patient notes and reports. I have been a member with St John Ambulance for six years during which time I have progressed from a Cadet to Corporal and I am now an adult member. Teaching new members First Aid has developed my patience and perseverance. I have really enjoyed seeing cadets blossom under my tutorship. St John’s has taught me so much, from making first aid decisions to working as a team to care for patients. I have taken part in many well-known events, including The London Marathon where I had to work under pressure and in a stressful situation. I also attended the St Albans Half Marathon and I have found that seem to thrive in challenging situations. Working with St John’s Ambulance has helped me to gain confidence and the ability to relate with people from all walks of life. I intend to carry on being a member with the LINKS Programme. I have volunteered for several projects all of which have added to my decision to enter nursing. Working at a nursery has given me insights into the world of a very young child. I worked at a severely special needs school in St. Albans. I shadowed the school nurse and dealt with challenging behaviours. I had a clear understanding of the needs and problems of the children. It opened my eyes while I was working there, having only one child in a class of ten that could actually talk and understand you. Recently, I was allowed to work with the school nurse at my secondary school. These experiences have given me real satisfaction and reinforced my desire to become a nurse. While at school I have been given many opportunities to learn and improve my skills. I have taken part in the Duke of Edinburgh award completing my bronze medal. I hope to work towards my silver award while at university. I am currently a model school Prefect which has taught me to be a team player. Organisation skills are a key factor in my role of prefect. In the summer I hope to volunteer at Camp America with underprivileged children. I know this will be challenging but I am looking forward to everything that I will experience. In the future, I see myself using my skills to improve the quality of people’s lives. I hope I will be able to apply the skills, techniques and experiences I gain while at University to my future career path.

• Southampton
  • Brighton
  • UEA

• Sociology- Predicted A/B AS Level
  • Geography- Predicted B AS Level
  • English- Predicted B AS Level
  • Photography- already achieved A- AS Level