Chemistry degree personal statement example (1r) Edinburgh offer

When I was younger I remember poring over the "Horrible Science" magazines every week, hardly putting it down, until I had read it all. As I have moved through school and grown up, I have come to realise that science is my passion, it is what drives me. Science works all around us and it is essential for us to grow as human beings, both mentally and physically. It's incredible how it can change our lives for the better: from the introduction of mains electricity, to the incredible technology around us today, which is why I wish to pursue a degree in either chemistry or natural sciences. Nowadays, when the boundaries between different sciences are becoming increasingly blurred, I cannot simply say that chemistry is my favourite science, as it is the basis of everything from Biology to Geology. Chemistry is so enjoyable and exciting; it offers an understanding of how the world around works, as well as the problem solving involved. I especially enjoy the organic chemistry side of the A Level course, it provides me with knowledge about the synthesis and the make-up of materials. Most recently in Chemistry I made aspirin, and I realised that it was the prospect of changing lives that makes me love chemistry and physics so much. Physics has taught me many different and interesting things, and I especially enjoy the challenge that it offers, allowing me to think for myself while being pushed to do the best I can. Not everyone can be satisfied by simply being told an answer; I strive to learn and discover new things. Currently I am doing the Extended Project Qualification. For this I am carrying out independent research into the production, chemical structure and environmental impact of two different biofuels produced from cellulose and lipids from algae. I also help with my school's science club, where I help run practical experiments for younger children. Helping with science club has given me an opportunity to see children understand that there is so much more to science than what they learn in lessons, and that is truly inspiring. Outside school I immerse myself in science; spending a great deal of time watching documentaries on a variety of platforms. YouTube is invaluable to me; providing interesting resources that spread to each end of the scientific spectrum, I especially enjoy the "SciShow" channel, as it provides high quality information about many things, from the life of Nikola Tesla to explaining the four fundamental forces. I spend a great deal of time reading, I particularly enjoyed "Periodic Tales" by Hugh Aldersey-Williams, which provides an insight into how the elements are used around the world, as well as the history of these elements. I also enhance my interest in science by reading "New Scientist". Having attended several lectures put on at school and at Manchester University I've gained new insight into the likes of nanotechnology and the importance of the discovery of the Higgs boson. All of these activities have made my thirst for knowledge grow stronger. My interests include baking and I spend a great deal of my spare time cooking. I visit the countryside often, where I enjoy fell and hill climbing, I usually stay in Youth Hostels, where I meet many new people, and where I work as part of a team, helping to clean and cook. I have completed my silver Duke of Edinburgh award, undertaking several expeditions over the country; I also took up swimming and volunteered at a local bookshop for six months, all of these activities have helped improve my cooperation with other people. I am thrilled at the prospect of going onto further study in a subject I am ardent about. I look forward not only to the theory, but also the hands-on practical work that I will experience. I hope that my determination, hard work and passion will eventually lead to me undertaking a Ph.D.

• University of Cambridge-Corpus Christi (Natural Sciences) - Interview followed by rejection
  • University of Edinburgh (MChem) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • University of Manchester (MChem) - Offer (AAA) Declined
  • University of Sheffield (MChem) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • University of York (MChem) - Offer (AAB) Declined

• Biology (AS) - A
  • Chemistry (A2) - A
  • Maths (A2) - A
  • Physics (A2) - A*