Mathematics degree personal statement example (1m) Cambridge offer

Mathematics is unique: being the only discipline where one can gain absolute, unambiguous knowledge. Although its foundations are in the simplest axioms, I am constantly reminded of the scope of mathematical discovery and hence its applications in modern technology and natural sciences. The opportunity to apply my aptitude for problem solving and creative thinking to this discovery is what drives me to study Mathematics at undergraduate level.

Timothy Gowers' "Mathematics: A very short introduction" has given me a deeper insight into some undergraduate subject areas such as high-dimensional geometry that I am looking forward to studying. Nevertheless, the most interesting Mathematics-based book I have read has been Simon Singh's "Fermat's Last Theorem", which has not only given me a brilliant insight into the methods behind proving a conjecture, and the breadth of subject areas to study and research, but also purer forms of Mathematics that I would not have otherwise come across; for example modular forms and elliptical equations, forever linked by Professor Wiles by proving the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture. The book enthralled me by giving me small glimpses into advanced number theory and how a great mind can manipulate it, and I am excited to have the opportunity to study it at a high level.

Past STEP papers and lectures by the Further Mathematics Support Programme have given me an understanding of the standard of degree level Mathematics. I feel the challenge it presents to me is unmissable. I have particularly enjoyed my involvement in schemes that allow me to use my talent for problem solving, such as the UKMT Mathematics Challenge; especially when I compete in Kangaroo or Olympiad rounds. I am pursuing this interest further through my participation in the UKMT's Senior Mentoring Scheme. These papers and talks are also proving a useful tool to introduce myself to new mathematical concepts to explore.

At A-level I have enjoyed Mechanics and Calculus in particular, probably stemming from my strong interest in Physics. I am currently reading Isaac Newton's "The Principia" to help me understand the origins, and give me a deeper understanding of these subject areas. However, Newton makes even the non-linear equations in James Gleick's "Chaos" seem accessible, due partly to The Principia's intricate translation. As a result, I have been surprised to find I have become increasingly intrigued by the very non-Newtonian Chaos Theory.

At my sixth form college I am a Mathematics Captain, which means during my lunch breaks I help members of the lower school with any Mathematics problems presented. I have earned this position through my high academic scores, a 98% UMS average across Mathematics modules. As well as studying for my A-levels, in my free time at school I am part of the school's mentorship programme, in which I currently help a Year 8 Mathematics class.

In my spare time I practise Shotokan Karate; I have competed internationally and achieved the grade of Shodan (Black Belt). Some of my other proudest achievements are climbing Scafell Pike, winning the local school's "Top of the Form" team science competition, and building my own custom computer. Although these achievements have taught me hard work and perseverance, one of my most fulfilling experiences has been going with HCPT to Lourdes, where I feel I helped the disabled children have an enjoyable experience and gain lifelong memories.

I have enjoyed my Physics and Economics AS levels, and I feel they have complemented my Mathematics A-level perfectly. I am studying for my Further Mathematics A-level and Physics A2 this year, and after having a taste of complex numbers I am eager to start studying Further Pure modules.

I am very much looking forward to university life, and exploring my passion by studying Mathematics at a higher level. I am just starting to study the areas I find most interesting, and I strongly anticipate that I am only scratching the surface.

• University of Cambridge - Offer (A*A*A and 1/1 in STEP II/III) Firmed - near-miss on offer but accepted anyway
  • University of Warwick - Offer (A*A*A and 2 in a STEP or Distinction in the AEA) (A*AA and 1 in a STEP) Insurance
  • University of Bath - Offer (A*AA and 2 in a STEP)
  • University of Bristol - Offer (AAA) (AAB and 2 in a STEP)
  • King's College London - Offer (AAA)

• Mathematics A-level - A*
  • Further Mathematics A-level - A*
  • Physics A-level - A*
  • Economics AS-level - A
  • AEA - Distinction
  • STEP I - 1
  • STEP II - 2
  • STEP III - 1

Reviewer comment:

• Second paragraph is very strong with many references to outside reading and the topics of interest to the applicant. This is then linked back to future study which is very good.

• Great section about further reading as it shows a dedication to the subject and the pursuit of knowledge. The applicant links well to physics here which shows potential for applying maths elsewhere in future.

• Final sentence is very memorable and a great way to finalise the personal statement.

• Too much content to do with A-levels

• Personal statement tries too hard to impress with vocabulary

Student's comments

Comments:

It may be important to note that my grade 1s in STEP I and III were very high, which helped convince my Cambridge College I just had a bad day with STEP II.

The interview is much more important for an offer at Cambridge, but the personal statement still needs to be up to scratch. Any advise I would give about the personal statement is just be honest. Don't try sprinkle it with rubbish that you could imagine an admissions tutor rolling their eyes at. You need to convince them with hard facts and persistence that you love the subject and you are damn good at it, too. Then they may believe you're up for the challenge of STEP.

If you're aiming for Bath, and don't think it's very likely you'll get into Cambridge, don't allude to STEP in your application. I wouldn't have received STEP in my Bath offer had they not known I was taking it anyway.

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide