The Student Room Group

Not sure if medicine is right for me

Hi, could I have some help please. I have been doubting myself for the longest time now, and found that the more and more revision I do for my medicine interviews, the more I realise that I do not have what it takes to be a doctor. I do not have that work ethic a doctor must have, I struggle to relate my experiences to the qualities and things a doctor must do. I don’t want to spend years studying and get sucked into the NHS. I often find myself searching and looking at other courses, and this is where the problem lies. I don’t think I want to be a doctor anymore, but what’s holding me back is my younger self- ever since I was a child I had always wanted to be one, but now that I think I’m getting closer to the end and obtaining it- I’m realising that it’s not really what I wanted at all. Because of that, growing up I had never really expanded my interests to anything outside of the medical field, and therefore I do not know what else out there career wise would interest me. I have an interview next week, but I don’t know whether or not to give it up, as I’ve made it this far now and I’ve worked so hard for it that I’m not sure it’s worth it just giving up without giving it a go. But I don’t know if it’s what I want in the long time run and I don’t know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Could it be that you are getting cold feet because you are so close to achieving your dream that you've had since childhood?
I think you should give the interview and see how you feel.
You can also consider taking a gap year and explore other options that you might want to get into.
While doing your research did you encounter any other areas where you found you were interested, you can try looking into them a bit and see if you imagine a future for yourself there.
Reply 3
Original post by materialgw0rld
Could it be that you are getting cold feet because you are so close to achieving your dream that you've had since childhood?
I think you should give the interview and see how you feel.
You can also consider taking a gap year and explore other options that you might want to get into.
While doing your research did you encounter any other areas where you found you were interested, you can try looking into them a bit and see if you imagine a future for yourself there.

Hi, thank you for responding
I’m currently on a gap year right now after an unsuccessful first cycle. And I’m terms of areas where I found interesting, there were a few but none where I could imagine myself working as, i as of now struggle to see myself working as a doctor itself. Even with revision for my interview which is in a week’s time I find myself each day becoming more and more unmotivated and just losing that interest in the particular field
Original post by NicolaMS
Hi, thank you for responding
I’m currently on a gap year right now after an unsuccessful first cycle. And I’m terms of areas where I found interesting, there were a few but none where I could imagine myself working as, i as of now struggle to see myself working as a doctor itself. Even with revision for my interview which is in a week’s time I find myself each day becoming more and more unmotivated and just losing that interest in the particular field

Maybe it's because you've been in this cycle of just revising and preparing for college that it's making you feel unmotivated...starting university may change your perception?
I feel like I'm not the best person to give advice on this since I'm not studying or plan to study medicine. I just know medicine can be extremely difficult and taxing.
I think talking to people who are in the same field would help, do you have anyone like that around you. If not I'm sure someone on the TSR community will reply here.
Reply 5
Original post by materialgw0rld
Maybe it's because you've been in this cycle of just revising and preparing for college that it's making you feel unmotivated...starting university may change your perception?
I feel like I'm not the best person to give advice on this since I'm not studying or plan to study medicine. I just know medicine can be extremely difficult and taxing.
I think talking to people who are in the same field would help, do you have anyone like that around you. If not I'm sure someone on the TSR community will reply here.

Thank you for your help, I will look into asking others who are in the same boat as me. I hope you have a blessed day
Hi, could I have some help please. I have been doubting myself for the longest time now, and found that the more and more revision I do for my medicine interviews, the more I realise that I do not have what it takes to be a doctor. I do not have that work ethic a doctor must have, I struggle to relate my experiences to the qualities and things a doctor must do. I don’t want to spend years studying and get sucked into the NHS. I often find myself searching and looking at other courses, and this is where the problem lies. I don’t think I want to be a doctor anymore, but what’s holding me back is my younger self- ever since I was a child I had always wanted to be one, but now that I think I’m getting closer to the end and obtaining it- I’m realising that it’s not really what I wanted at all. Because of that, growing up I had never really expanded my interests to anything outside of the medical field, and therefore I do not know what else out there career wise would interest me. I have an interview next week, but I don’t know whether or not to give it up, as I’ve made it this far now and I’ve worked so hard for it that I’m not sure it’s worth it just giving up without giving it a go. But I don’t know if it’s what I want in the long time run and I don’t know what to do.

Maybe you could become like a biology teacher, or a forensic scientist or something.
Reply 7
Original post by MadisonBailey06
Maybe you could become like a biology teacher, or a forensic scientist or something.

I’ve been looking into psychology with languages, as back when I was in school I was always really interested in languages. Psychology, because I have found myself leaning towards a speech and language therapist degree, and my brother does it and says it is a fantastic degree- upon reading the modules, they seem to be ones I would enjoy also and would prefer doing to a medical one
Reply 8

Congratulations on your interview!

Trying to get into medical school is a long trek, and if this your second go, its lijely been a rocky one for you.

It could well be thst you are possibly movung away from the idea of becoming a Doctor, it could equally be that you are burnt out.

Reading the threads there are so many who seem to get to this stage, and feel the same. Trepidation, being burnt out (look up symptoms), imposter syndrome thinking I cant do this, so i dont want to do this. Thinking it is "easier" for them to reject medicine than be rejected possibly again.

I say, be kind to yourself. Make sure you get enough sleep, eat well, and get so.e fresh air / downtime etc.

Finish your interview prep and smile through your teeth and exude positivity for medicine at your interview, and see what happens. I promise you, you will not be alone in doing that.

Give your childhood dream its best shot. Good luck. 🤞

Then turn to you "now" while you are waiting for the results. If you get an offer, congratulations. It might make you feel differently again. It might not. You will have several months to think very hard about what you want to do. You could go, and see how you feel.

You could have a nosy at other courses and options that you might prefer instead and get ready for clearing if you do decide medicine is not for you. Open days are coming up. Could look at other medical fields, like midwifery, physio, or something compketely different like drama 😁

I am NOT saying you are wrong to think med isnt for you, i am just suggesting that there are other reasons why you might be feeling that right now. So now is not the right time to make that decision in my view.

Good luck whatever you decide.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by GGIN
Congratulations on your interview!

Trying to get into medical school is a long trek, and if this your second go, its lijely been a rocky one for you.

It could well be thst you are possibly movung away from the idea of becoming a Doctor, it could equally be that you are burnt out.

Reading the threads there are so many who seem to get to this stage, and feel the same. Trepidation, being burnt out (look up symptoms), imposter syndrome thinking I cant do this, so i dont want to do this. Thinking it is "easier" for them to reject medicine than be rejected possibly again.

I say, be kind to yourself. Make sure you get enough sleep, eat well, and get so.e fresh air / downtime etc.

Finish your interview prep and smile through your teeth and exude positivity for medicine at your interview, and see what happens. I promise you, you will not be alone in doing that.

Give your childhood dream its best shot. Good luck. 🤞

Then turn to you "now" while you are waiting for the results. If you get an offer, congratulations. It might make you feel differently again. It might not. You will have several months to think very hard about what you want to do. You could go, and see how you feel.

You could have a nosy at other courses and options that you might prefer instead and get ready for clearing if you do decide medicine is not for you. Open days are coming up. Could look at other medical fields, like midwifery, physio, or something compketely different like drama 😁

I am NOT saying you are wrong to think med isnt for you, i am just suggesting that there are other reasons why you might be feeling that right now. So now is not the right time to make that decision in my view.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you so much for your help, I really needed to hear this. I appreciate it a lot
Reply 10
Thank you so much for your help, I really needed to hear this. I appreciate it a lot

Good luck with your interview this week.

Hope that you are feeling slightly more positive about the interview prep. 🤞
If you're not 100% set on doing medicine I would reconsider
Reply 12
Original post by GGIN
Good luck with your interview this week.

Hope that you are feeling slightly more positive about the interview prep. 🤞

Hope interview went well.
Reply 13
Original post by GGIN
Hope interview went well.

It went better than I thought, a previous medical school’s interview process had given me a bad experience so I was glad this one was very pleasant. Thank you😊
It went better than I thought, a previous medical school’s interview process had given me a bad experience so I was glad this one was very pleasant. Thank you😊

Do you know if you've gotten a place? Most med schools have now
Reply 15
Original post by bigplongus
Do you know if you've gotten a place? Most med schools have now

Hi, I got an offer from HYMS
Hi, I got an offer from HYMS

Wow! well done :smile:
how are you feeling now in terms of a career in medicine?
currently a 2nd-year med student and I also sometimes regret all the decisions that led me to med too😅 part of the journey i guess!
Reply 17
Original post by starrystudy
Wow! well done :smile:
how are you feeling now in terms of a career in medicine?
currently a 2nd-year med student and I also sometimes regret all the decisions that led me to med too😅 part of the journey i guess!

I’m feeling really confident about it now, i firmed the offer a few weeks back and since I’m a gap year student I’m just waiting to go now in September. I agree with the above, I believe I was having cold feet due to being so close to achieving it but now that I’ve gotten to this stage I have no regrets😊
I’m feeling really confident about it now, i firmed the offer a few weeks back and since I’m a gap year student I’m just waiting to go now in September. I agree with the above, I believe I was having cold feet due to being so close to achieving it but now that I’ve gotten to this stage I have no regrets😊

Well Done!!
This thread has motivated me even more to try again to persue medicine. I am currently in year 13 and i have recieved 4 preinterview rejections. I am going to do a gap year.
Btw how did u prep for the ucat.
Reply 19
Original post by foreverrocking
Well Done!!
This thread has motivated me even more to try again to persue medicine. I am currently in year 13 and i have recieved 4 preinterview rejections. I am going to do a gap year.
Btw how did u prep for the ucat.

Hi, I’m sorry to hear that. I was disheartened last year when I received all of my med rejections and honestly, going on a gap year was completely an impulsive decision. But remember, rejection is redirection and rejection is good for personal and self growth!!!
With regards to UCAT prep, I wasn’t great at the UCAT at all and only found a tiny improvement from my 2022 score compared to my 2023 score. 2460, 615 avg b2 —> 2520, 630 avg b2. So I don’t think I can offer much advice there. Though I did find it easier when preparing for my second cycle as I was already familiar with the question formats therefore I was able to just jump into mock exams and go from there. For the SJT, I made sure to read the GMC handbook and made notes on where I went wrong in my tests. I used medify for both cycles, and the learning material for the SJT section is really useful so I suggest having a look at that. Watching Kharma Medic videos on YouTube as well was a huge help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending