Economics degree personal statement example (1v) Loughborough offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

My father first introduced Economics to me when I was discussing my A level options during my GCSE year. Having mentioned that I enjoyed mathematics from a young age and being eager to know the reasons and possible solutions for the global economic crisis in 2008, it seemed like the ideal subject for me. Whilst studying the subject at AS level, I found macroeconomic policies used by the government to help them achieve required aims to be fascinating. This idea and other interesting concepts in the field is why I want to further my knowledge and understanding of Economics beyond what I have discovered so far.

My enthusiasm has led me onto reading "Free Lunch" by David Smith, which helped me grasp many key principles which I could relate to my AS Economics course. I was also interested in the history of the laws of Economics and the thoughts behind key past recognized economists, specifically David Ricardo and the way in which he used Adam Smith's valid argument on how the division of labour is the reason why specialization increased economic output, and the way in which he developed it further and composed the idea of comparative advantage. This prompted me to read "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond, which refers to the development of mankind in different areas of the world that we see today, with particular reference to how Europeans were capable of having accelerated economic growth due to the prosperous development of craftsmen, thus allowing them to successfully conquer less developed countries from other continents.

The vast amount of problems that various nations are facing at the moment has made studying Economics very exciting for me. Observing how the UK government has attempted to "fine tune" the economy by affecting individuals on a small scale and thus causing a cascading effect onto the national economy has proved to be quite problematic in this present economic climate. Setting low interest rates will hope to increase investment and consumption. However, in a climate lacking both business and consumer confidence makes saving more attractive than spending thus limiting the effectiveness of monetary policy. Learning about how China has raised its interest rates on the other hand, to deal with the high inflation that they are facing due to the current rapid growth, has been intriguing for me and also been ideal to cement my knowledge of monetary and other policies especially fiscal that governments may implement. My curiosity in these economic affairs across the globe has steered me into habitually reading the "Financial Times" and "The Economist" both of which help to give me an in-depth account of these matters.

My academic studies have equipped me with various skills useful for Economics. The studying of Chemistry at AS level has allowed me to conduct hypotheses and accurately test them using analytical skills I have gained from the course. A2 Mathematics has provided me with the key skills required to interpret statistics and solve problems with great precision. The essential attributes that I have acquired from these subjects, I believe, will help me understand Economics beyond A level.

Outside academia, I relish the opportunity of engaging in sport. I have represented the school 1st team in cricket and rugby for a number of years and excelled in rugby by becoming a current member of the Sussex Under 18 County squad. In my penultimate year at Christ's Hospital, I was appointed Deputy House Captain in my boarding house, a role which involved a great deal of organisation, leadership and commitment. I have also relished similar responsibilities which have come my way including captaining the cricket 1st XI and vice-captaining the rugby 1st XV, as well as becoming a peer mentor in school. As I am a first generation university candidate, I feel that I have the motivation and dedication to succeed and have much to offer and gain from the opportunity to study Economics at university.

• Durham (Economics) - Rejection
  • Loughborough (Economics) - Offer (AAB)
  • Manchester (Economics) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • Nottingham (Economics) - Rejection
  • York (Economics) - Offer (AAB) Firm

• Biology (A2) - A
  • Economics (A2) - A
  • Mathematics (A2) - A
  • Chemistry (AS) - B