Personal Statement - History and Politics 6

History and Politics Personal Statement 6

Many talk of the merits of History and Politics but my reasons for studying these subjects are not utilitarian; if their study were proved to be useless I would still study them for sheer pleasure. History has become more interesting as it has become more challenging. I have enjoyed it more since the Politics became more central and have also recognised the necessity of knowing some Economics. The first history books I read were the Beevor books, Stalingrad and Berlin: The Downfall, which were enlightening. Despite the saturation of the curriculum with WWII, I knew little about the war on the Eastern Front. At school I am in the History Society where I gave a talk, 'Blair and Pitt the Younger: A Comparison.' To prepare I read Hague's biography of Pitt and 'The Spin Doctor's Diary' by Price. I noticed the similarities between the various coercion acts passed by Pitt and legislation passed during the 'War on Terror'. I entered the St Hugh's College essay prize on the same subject. I also entered the Peterhouse essay prize using the John Stuart Mill's 'stupid conservative...' quote. In preparation I read his essay 'On Liberty'. At my secondary school I won the history prize three times. As an extension to my A levels I have read parts of Evans on Peel; Doyle and Schama on the French Revolution; Plowright on Liverpool and Kee on Irish Nationalism. I am a member of the Labour Party and was election agent to the local candidate. Although we lost we trebled our vote. I attend party events and have just enjoyed my first conference where I spoke to members of the shadow cabinet. I have read much about the party history, particularly enjoying 'The Benn Diaries'. Most of all I have become obsessed with Nye Bevan, reading Foot's biography and also reading 'In Place of Fear'. I recently gave a talk on Bevan to the History Society. I ran a successful campaign for my school to take the Morning Star last year and I also started a socialist choir. I pestered my MP, Ben Wallace, for work experience. One highlight was making a cup of tea for Ken Clarke! My time in the Commons confirmed politics as my career choice. I also did work experience with a local paper and the Sunday Express. I thought up the nickname 'Bermuda Pie-angle' for the obese Bermudan Cricketer Dwayne Leverock, which was used in the paper. I recently gave an assembly, 'The National Debt, a Balanced Perspective.' I stated that as a percentage of GDP our debt is at the mid point for the last 300 years and average compared to other rich countries. I also said that the majority of the deficit is cyclic rather than structural. To research this I read 'The Affluent Society' and 'The Great Crash' by Galbraith; Brown’s 'Beyond the Crash' and the 'Communist Manifesto' by Marx. The Great Crash has influenced me most. It should be essential reading for those who enter public office, and then our leaders would be aware how dangerous it is for people to believe that they can make money from thin air. I also watched the Curtis series 'All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace', which talked about the idea of permanent market stability with computers as the stabiliser. This juxtaposition, of the Great Crash and the TV series, led me to compare how the politicians of the 20's believed that the infallibility of financiers would mean that share prices would reach a permanent plateau, and how modern politicians believed that the infallibility of computers would mean that boom and bust would be abolished. Apart from my main interest of reading, I am in the Debating Society; I play the piano and will sit my Grade 6 exam soon. I also play cricket, tennis, 5-a-side football and 2nd team football. I attained the bronze D of E award and I enjoy fell walking. I was recently made a prefect after submitting an application based on a Robespierre speech. I hope I have persuaded you to let me study two of the things I love at your university and that my attempt to trumpet hasn't sounded like a tin whistle.

• Oxford (History and Politics) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • Sheffield (History and Politics) - Offer (AAA) Insurance
  • York (History and Politics) - Offer (AAA)
  • Warwick (History and Politics) - Offer (AAA)
  • Nottingham (History and Politics) - Offer (AAA)

• Chemistry (A2) - B
  • Physics (A2) - A
  • History (A2) - A
  • Maths (A2) - A*