Personal Statement - Law and Business 1a

Law with Business Personal Statement 1a

Debates about animal rights, religious stereotypes and gender equality have made me question our duty to people and animals. They pushed me to question injustice in the world and gave me a determination to make changes in society. I am committed, motivated, pro-active and focused and these qualities harnessed to a rigorous academic understanding of Law may allow me to go some small way in helping to make a more just society.

The Law of Tort shapes our lives and this aspect of 'duty' towards others, encourages me to study Law. Williams's 'Learning the Law' and Bingham's 'Rule of the Law' taught me the intricacies of judicial structure, what Law is and its importance as the common rule by which we must abide. Bingham argues that no-one knows what the "rule of the law" means. How can anyone do their duty, if the Rule of Law is contentious?

My interest in Business Studies A-level, - particularly marketing strategies, management and lean production techniques - compels me to study this discipline further. Aspiring to manage my own firm, I formerly believed a democratic approach to management would achieve better results than autocratic. This was challenged by Douglas McGregor's XY Theory where I saw the benefits of a theory Y manager. I see in my part-time job how Maslow's Theory of Motivation works throughout the workforce, with the use of incentives and sales reports to increase enthusiasm. An interest in investing in the stock market has revealed much about the business world and being an avid reader, taking particular interest in texts about culture, religion and business such as Business Review magazines, I am able to learn how businesses, such as Scoop Ice Cream Parlour, have created a quick brand for themselves. Learning Business will allow me to better my understanding of Company Law and Laws of International foreign trade.

Arranging a mini pupillage in Manchester, I shadowed five barristers specialising in civil, medical negligence, criminal, personal injury and employment law. This enabled me to observe cases, speak to victims, engage in discussions and gave me the chance to ask questions. How does a judge consistently reach the fairest verdict? How do barristers expose fraudulent witnesses? As I am a volunteer supervisor for 'Community Link Up,' and teach people experiencing mental health issues, a trial of a man with Asperger's Syndrome caught my attention. It lead me to question notions of innocence and guilt and what 'fit to stand trial' means in practice. Is it the duty of the Law to punish someone who can understand a charge or a verdict, but not the consequences of their actions?

As well as organising my own mini pupillage, the school's debating society and the International Evening, I travelled alone to Tamil-Nadu to teach English in a non-government funded school and created a fund-raising event on my return. Teaching at Link Up and in Tamil-Nadu has given me confidence and empathy to communicate with pupils and parents, both vital skills when pitching a product for a business and during litigation. I was also alarmed by the lack of legislation in India and its effect on residents of Tamil-Nadu. This proved the importance of a fully functioning government.

Studying Philosophy and English at A-level has helped me to develop concise, persuasive lines of argument, as well as improving my abstract reasoning and close textual analysis. Holding meetings and introducing new systems to the school council, as Chairperson, has allowed me to see things from opposing viewpoints whilst discovering the necessity of a fully co-operative team. My academics, extra-curricular activities and work experiences demonstrate my positive, passionate, and proactive nature - qualities making me an excellent student and well suited to a career in Law or Business.

• London School of Economics and Political sciences (Law) - Rejection
  • University of Birmingham (Law and Business Studies) - Offer (AAA)
  • University of Warwick (Law with Business Studies) - Rejection
  • Aston University (Law and Management) - Offer (AAB)
  • Nottingham Trent University (Law and Business) - Offer (BBC)

• English Language (AS) - B
  • Business Studies (AS) - A
  • Religious Studies (AS) - A
  • Psychology (AS) - A