Personal Statement:Medicine 112

Medicine Personal Statement

Medicine is not only about diagnosing and treating patients, it is far more complex. It requires the appreciation of emotions as well as physical ailment and prevention as well as treatment. This challenging, dynamic and rewarding career appeals to me above any other because not only will it provide me with the opportunity to interact with others, but also give me the satisfaction of having helped them. Its degree of spontaneity, including the various cases and patients, is an exciting prospect; the wide variety of illnesses I saw during my work experience was remarkable.

During my work experience in cardiology I saw a multidisciplinary approach where the doctors, nurses, microbiologists and radiographers worked effectively to diagnose, treat and emotionally support the patients. I especially noted that the medical team’s empathy and communication with the patient ensured thorough treatment whilst acting in the patient’s best interests. Visiting gastroenterology, I saw various procedures including informing patients about their treatment and what to expect, as every treatment involves a risk – this was a contrast to the dynamism experienced elsewhere such as in the outpatients clinic and during ward rounds. For example, sedation and its effects were explained transparently to prevent issues once proceeding, hence reducing the risk to the patient to ultimately improve their well-being.

My subjects have supported my ambition for medicine. Biology examines the body; having the opportunity to expand on this and apply my knowledge to real-life situations is an exciting prospect. Chemistry has helped me understand more about bodily chemical processes and the basic chemistry of drugs and their effects on the body. To further my interest on this, I have completed an Open University course where deadlines and independent study gave me a taste of what to expect at university. In order to broaden my knowledge on the advancements of medicine, I have participated in a ‘Technology in Medicine’ conference. This widened my view on the close links between technology and medicine, such as the advanced equipment of catheter labs. These are minimally invasive, which reduces the physical and emotional issues that surgery may inflict. Medicine is constantly evolving, so these experiences have given me an idea of what innovations are to come – reading the New Scientist also provides me with information on these regular, cutting-edge advancements.

Volunteering at a care home, talking and organising activities allowed me to improve my communication and organisation skills, especially with the wide variety of residents. For example, one elderly lady became emotional in the absence of her son; I had to evaluate the situation in order to respond appropriately, comfort and support her. The evaluation of arguments is also required at my school’s debating society, where I have also developed my public speaking skills. I have completed my Silver Duke of Edinburgh award which required me to organise myself and communicate with my team through unfamiliar situations. As a volunteer at a charity for disabled children, I also learnt to be more decisive as many children had spontaneous behavioural changes. Outside of volunteering and studying, I have gained a brown belt in karate, requiring dedication and self-discipline. Swimming, cycling and cooking are all hobbies which help me to relieve stress, as they are an escape from my work and commitments.

Medicine is an ever-changing career where I can continually learn to improve my expertise and relish the satisfaction of giving back to the community. I am excited to see where medicine can take me, and various ‘Medicine in Action’ lectures have given me an insight into the variety of specialisms that can be explored. My work experience has allowed me to build on my skills, and has only strengthened my desire to pursue the career. I welcome the challenges and rewards it will bring.

• University College London (A100) - Offer (AAAE) Firm
  • Queen Mary, University of London (A100) - Offer (AAAE) Insurance
  • King's College London (A100) - Offer (AAAC)
  • University of East Anglia (A100) - Offer (AAAE)

• Maths (A2) - A*
  • Biology (A2) - A*
  • Chemistry (A2) - A*
  • Geography (A2) - A*
  • Greek (A2) - A

Definitely do lots of drafts and get as many people as possible to look at it - they will have different opinions but definitely take the recurring comments on board! Have a look at how a personal statement should be structured and what to do/not to do.