The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
[QUOTE="mooniibuggy;28309014"]I feel a rejection coming my way...[/QUOTE

Mooniibuggy, I also applied to UCL's Biomedical Sciences program!!
Don't think that way, I am sure you'll get an offer soon :P The first round of offers for Biomed is around mid November. :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 561
No Mechanical Engineering applicants :frown:
Disappointing.
But yeah COME UCL IT'S AWESOME!
/plug.
Original post by abiiiii
This might cheer you up a bit, I applied for UCL to do law as well and asked about my GCSEs at the open day as I heard all these rumours about 6/7/8 A* cut off points for London unis. The admissions tutor looked at me like I was insane to expect all candidates to have grades like that, and she said the role the LNAT plays means GCSEs only become a problem if you have straight Cs and Ds etc. Doesn't help me seeing as I messed up the LNAT too but seems good to know :smile: x

:smile: thanks. yeah same, that would be reassuring if i'd done well on the lnat.
at least now i know they'll look at my lnat score before filing my application under 'B'.

it is appreciated though :o:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 563
Original post by TimmonaPortella
:smile: thanks. yeah same, that would be reassuring if i'd done well on the lnat.
at least now i know they'll look at my lnat score before filing my application under 'B'.

it is appreciated though :o:

I know the feeling, how many of your choices rely on it?
Original post by Jason Francis Parisi
Same as you apart from York, which I chose as Durham. Did you get any feedback? If I'm being honest, my GCSEs let me down; I had unfortunate circumstances. On track, it says that my Academic Record is not strong enough to warrant further investigation, etc... Were you straight A*s at GCSE?

I haven't yet. I might call them up and ask to be honest; not that it will change anything but I want to know the reason.

Yes I got the same reason on track so of course it's just a generic thing. I got 10A* at GCSE and I went to a pretty bad state school too so I can't see it being that. I know PS is important but that cancels out all the effort from GCSEs and A-levels? Seems a little absurd I must admit but I guess that's how it goes.
Username : Ayostunner
Course: Neuroscience
Entry :2011
Reply 566
I really need to stop checking my email every 10 minutes...
Does anyone have any clues as to when UCL start giving out offers? (especially for biomedical sciences :P)

Username: ButterflyOfFreedom
Course: Psychology
Entry: 2011
Original post by Retrospect

Original post by Retrospect
As far as I know, UCL still interview for Psychology (held in Jan/Feb), and invites begin around November time, so you have a while to wait yet.

I love UCL. :cry:

Your academics are similar to what mine were last year, I don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't get an interview provided your PS is good. Good luck!

At the Psychology talk at the UCL open day this year they said that they were planning to only interview applicants with non-standard qualifications this year. They also said they will be sending applicants a questionnaire at some point to get some more information and to average out the field in terms of personal statements - which they said they think are sometimes unfair due to some schools/colleges giving more guidance than others. Instead of interviews, they are doing post-offer open days so you still get a chance to look around and learn more about the course. This is of course assuming that they haven't changed their mind since then.

Also, thank you for reassuring me somewhat as my grades are also similar. I have 4 As at AS and and A* in maths A2. My predictions are A*A*A for Psychology, Chemistry and English Lit.
Reply 569
Original post by CZephyr
I really need to stop checking my email every 10 minutes...
Does anyone have any clues as to when UCL start giving out offers? (especially for biomedical sciences :P)

Original post by CZephyr

Mooniibuggy, I also applied to UCL's Biomedical Sciences program!!
Don't think that way, I am sure you'll get an offer soon :P The first round of offers for Biomed is around mid November. :smile:

:biggrin:
Original post by ButterflyOfFreedom
At the Psychology talk at the UCL open day this year they said that they were planning to only interview applicants with non-standard qualifications this year. They also said they will be sending applicants a questionnaire at some point to get some more information and to average out the field in terms of personal statements - which they said they think are sometimes unfair due to some schools/colleges giving more guidance than others. Instead of interviews, they are doing post-offer open days so you still get a chance to look around and learn more about the course. This is of course assuming that they haven't changed their mind since then.

Also, thank you for reassuring me somewhat as my grades are also similar. I have 4 As at AS and and A* in maths A2. My predictions are A*A*A for Psychology, Chemistry and English Lit.

I suppose it makes sense that they're moving towards this sort of admissions process. The interviews last year were very informal and from what we heard, a large majority end up getting offers anyway, so it's unnecessary strain on the staff to organise and for the lecturers and admissions tutors acting as interviewers. We did however have a questionnaire to do, and afaik that has been a part of the process for a good few years. These were sent to applicants who had been offered an interview, so it could be possible that they now use the questionnaire to select for interviewers as opposed to using them after offering interviews.

I don't particularly know for sure what is most important when selecting candidates, but from what I gathered last year it was AS grades and personal statement. I also had 4 As at AS, and I remember one girl posting on here last year who had a mix of As Bs and Cs at AS (but very good GCSEs - around 7-8 A*s, I have 3) and was rejected before interview. I don't particularly know how much emphasis is placed on the personal statement specifically, but I remember them mentioning at the interview day that the academic reference was pretty important too. I should add that the entry requirements have been raised this year from AAA to A*AA so I can see that they're definitely trying to target the high achievers. It's a very competitive course, but is one of the top in the country (in fact, we were informed it was top in the country for the amount of research carried out, whereas Oxford was top for quality of research). Anyway, sorry for the essay(!) and good luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 571
oh btw I've read in the previous few pages where pple speculated that UCL tends to reject oxbridge applicants, judging from the high calibre of rejects so far. I can assure you that it's definitely not true! Many oxbridge applicants have received offers from UCL, myself included!
Original post by eugeneho
oh btw I've read in the previous few pages where pple speculated that UCL tends to reject oxbridge applicants, judging from the high calibre of rejects so far. I can assure you that it's definitely not true! Many oxbridge applicants have received offers from UCL, myself included!

Yes that's true, but I'm assuming your a gap year student (or not applying for economics)? so have completed your A2, therefore it doesn't involve you.
Original post by eugeneho

When did you receive your offer and also are you International/gap year/already achieved A2?
Reply 574
Original post by saks10111
I wish you the very best :smile: , when will you hear from them? Around mid-December, yeah?

Yeah, the liberal arts curriculum and the freedom of choice in terms of courses and your major is what's really appealing about US universities. I'm really confused though, between the UK and the US. I love the UK and I like the idea of graduating in 3 years as opposed to 4. I also feel the UK will be less pressure in terms of academics. I mean, of course it's going to be tough as hell, especially considering the calibre of universities we're applying to, but you pick one course and stick with it and there's no credit systems, it's very similar to our A levels and the British system of education in general. Whereas in the US, you have to make your own course schedules, also fulfill certain general requirements (i.e. take science and english and math courses), some of which you might not really want to do, and the system is completely different from ours and it might take a while to get used to.
But then again, I can take standard econ and math courses in the US and also do anything I please from history and political science to literature and astronomy... the options are endless!
Ahh I don't know, I keep going back and forth between the two! What's your view on US vs. UK?

I hear from Penn on December 10th. It's nice to have an assured hear by date hahah. Yes liberal arts is great! I personally don't mind graduating in 4 years as it is one less year I have to work! I think there is an equal amount of stress in both systems given the stature of the schools. Though you have to make up your own curriculum, if you want to major in a certain subject you need to fulfill certain criteria (credit hours of courses under that major). So essentially, you are picking modules (like in the UK) then extras to round out your maths/science/language/arts requirements. Being both English and American I am at home in both systems, however, I will not be spelling "colour" without the "u" anytime soon. One tremendous advantage of the US is the unconditional offer, to be admitted then not attend as you have missed your offer must be heartbreaking, in the US there is no need for insurance :biggrin:.
Reply 575
Original post by Xilin Song
Yes that's true, but I'm assuming your a gap year student (or not applying for economics)? so have completed your A2, therefore it doesn't involve you.

I applied for economics deferred entry 2011 last year. I already had my A level grades when I made my application.
Reply 576
Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!
When did you receive your offer and also are you International/gap year/already achieved A2?

Offer received early november last year (2009). I'm international, taking gap year and already have my A level results :smile:
Reply 577
Original post by Robin123
:biggrin:

lol!!! haha i just realised... i so answered my own question! haha
Are you also a future biomedic? :P hehe.
Nice to meet you :smile:
Edit: OMG you are from Germany! Guten Tag! Ich wohne in Neuseeland :smile: (I think I just exhausted my supply of GCSE level German)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 578
Original post by CZephyr
lol!!! haha i just realised... i so answered my own question! haha
Are you also a future biomedic? :P hehe.
Nice to meet you :smile:
Edit: OMG you are from Germany! Guten Tag! Ich wohne in Neuseeland :smile: (I think I just exhausted my supply of GCSE level German)

No, I'm applying for human sciences. But I think every student of the faculty of life sciences shares some lectures with students of other courses, at least in the first year. So in case that we both get offers and eventually study at UCL, we will propably meet somewhere :wink:

p.s.: Einwandfreies Deutsch! Bin mir nur nicht sicher, ob du den Ausdruck "einwandfrei" kennst, wenn du schon deine gesamten Deutschkenntnisse erschöpft hast. :biggrin:
Got an Interview on nov 10th for EEE...finally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending