The Student Room Group

Stem cells!!! Your views, ethical issues and resources!

Hey guys,
I have to do a presentation about STEM CELLS (argue for and against)..I have to get it done tonight! I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your views on stem cells, ethical issues and also if you are aware of any good website that I could use please post it here...thanks in advance x
btw I know I can just Google search it but I want my presentation to be different and want a range of views from students as this presentation is going to be presented to students :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bahar_bp
Hey guys,
I have to do a presentation about STEM CELLS (argue for and against)..I have to get it done tonight! I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your views on stem cells, ethical issues and also if you are aware of any good website that I could use please post it here...thanks in advance x
btw I know I can just Google search it but I want my presentation to be different and want a range of views from students as this presentation is going to be presented to students :smile:

For:

Can grow organs for medical use.

Could be used to mend nerve cells like in broken spinal cords to allow people to walk again etc.

Could cure diseases in the future.

Against:

At the moment stem cells have to be taken from foetuses and babies, which some view as unethical.

Stem cells are only in trial development and are not fully approved as safe to use in humans.

Stem cells are not naturally used in nature so we are messing with genetics and religious people's views that we shouldn't change what God created.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cinqueta
For:

Can grow organs for medical use.

Could be used to mend nerve cells like in broken spinal cords to allow people to walk again etc.

Could cure diseases in the future.

Against:

At the moment stem cells have to be taken from feotues and babies, which some view as unethical.

Stem cells are only in trial development and are not fully approved as safe to use in humans.

Stem cells are not naturally used in nature so we are messing with genetics and religious peoples' views that we shouldn't change what God created.

thank youuu :smile:
Reply 3
Should've done your homework earlier.
Futher emphasising what Cinqueta has just said.

Recently, in the news a human stem cell trial has been given the go ahead in america, on patients with spinal injuries. Though it'll be decades before stem cells become widely used, this is a pretty good breakthrough. <-- this was quite big news so just a basic google will link you to stuff :smile:

Also in the news, recently, the idea of using stem cells to create "new livers" for patients who need organ transplants (due to the shortage) is being looked at. They can either be used, with some form of structural cellular support as a backbone, to create whole livers or create lines of liver cells which can form a better version of dialysis. I.e. the cells do a better job of removing the toxins etc... (I think that was it. Not sure though).

Big no-no regarding stem cells is the fact that the very useful form (embroynic) comes directly from foetuses, thus you're, in essence, taking away a life. This then goes into the whole pro-life argument which is very easily googlable.

:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ladipidoo
Should've done your homework earlier.

I usually do my homework on time..however I was told about this today
Reply 6

Against:

At the moment stem cells have to be taken from foetuses and babies, which some view as unethical.

Stem cells are not naturally used in nature so we are messing with genetics and religious people's views that we shouldn't change what God created.

Actually no, stems cells are never taken from foetuses, theyre taken from the inner cell mass of an early embryo. In humans usually around the first week before implantation. never from late stage gestation unless its blood/cord.

Yes, a company in the US (Genron, I think) have started early clinical trails with neural stem cells.

Most sites about ethics are going to be of religious thinking, and even in those cases they are likely to be different. There are good SC primers on the ncbi website which should start you off.

Also, do your homework earlier!
Reply 7
Original post by page_down
Actually no, stems cells are never taken from foetuses, theyre taken from the inner cell mass of an early embryo. In humans usually around the first week before implantation. never from late stage gestation unless its blood/cord.

Yes, a company in the US (Genron, I think) have started early clinical trails with neural stem cells.

Most sites about ethics are going to be of religious thinking, and even in those cases they are likely to be different. There are good SC primers on the ncbi website which should start you off.

Also, do your homework earlier!

In GCSE biology we were told that stem cells can be taken from foetuses as well as embryos and often are.
Reply 8
In GCSE biology we were told that stem cells can be taken from foetuses and often are.

Nope, never are. Like I said only in the early embryo, these are not classed as 'foetuses'. Only after the first trimester. If you are interested look into the HEFA website, they the governing body surrounding embryonic development, fertility etc.
Reply 9
Nope, never are. Like I said only in the early embryo, these are not classed as 'foetuses'. Only after the first trimester. If you are interested look into the HEFA website, they the governing body surrounding embryonic development, fertility etc.

So why does Space Pirate James also say the same as me about foetuses?
Reply 10
For:[*]At the moment stem cells have to be taken from foetuses and babies, which some view as unethical.

:curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_stem_cell
Reply 11

It's what I was told in GCSE biology, I didn't think they would lie to me :dontknow:
Reply 12
It's what I was told in GCSE biology, I didn't think they would lie to me :dontknow:

Yeah, well GCSE Biology is crap really :smile:

They lie to you in GCSE Chemistry as well :shifty:
Reply 13
Form your own opinions. It is not particularly difficult. Just look at the facts and decide whether you think some nonsensical ethical crap should stand in the way of perfecting medicine.

In GCSE biology we were told that stem cells can be taken from foetuses as well as embryos and often are.
>In GCSE biology
>GCSE biology
>GCSE
>implying it would matter if clones were used to harvest stem cells and donor organs

derp.
Reply 14

Because he is also misinformed. You are never 'taking away' life as it has not been formed, there are no neural pathways so no brain therefore no consciousness. The ICM where embryonic stem cells are obtain are just a ball of cells with the ability to form the embryo/parts of the body (the reason why there is a lot of research into it).

Trust me, ive got an undergrad degree in genomics and stem cell science and doing a masters in stem cell biology.

Adult SC are a whole other ball game, I dont think OP was talking about them, just embryonic SC specifically.
Reply 15
Because he is also misinformed. You are never 'taking away' life as it has not been formed, there are no neural pathways so no brain therefore no consciousness. The ICM where embryonic stem cells are obtain are just a ball of cells with the ability to form the embryo/parts of the body (the reason why there is a lot of research into it).

Trust me, ive got an undergrad degree in genomics and stem cell science and doing a masters in stem cell biology.

Adult SC are a whole other ball game, I dont think OP was talking about them, just embryonic SC specifically.

It's what I was told at GCSE, the liars :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Anglerfish
Form your own opinions. It is not particularly difficult. Just look at the facts and decide whether you think some nonsensical ethical crap should stand in the way of perfecting medicine.

>In GCSE biology
>GCSE biology
>GCSE
>implying it would matter if clones were used to harvest stem cells and donor organs

derp.

I don't understand why you quoted me.

Of course adults will lie to you, they probably also once upon a time tried to convince you that once a year a bearded lobster man would slide down your chimney to give you presents.
Reply 18

There's a difference between embryo and foetus. Stem cells can be taken from an embryo, but not a foetus. Foetal stem cells can be found in blood, the umbilical chord or the placenta. Embryonic cells are preferred as they can 'develop' into something else better than foetal cells can.

Embryonic stem cells are NEVER taken from a pregnant person.
ALL embryonic stem cells used and extracted are from embryos grown in vitro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending