The Student Room Group

Help for EPQ about CRISPR

Hello lovely people,

I am doing an EPQ about CRIPR- advantages,disadvantages, applications of it...
I am aiming for an A*
Please provide any advice/tips
Original post by srija08
Hello lovely people,

I am aiming for an A*

Hey, love CRISPR! A few people from my school did projects on it and got A*s. I had a whole section on CRISPR in my final essay and loved researching its potential uses (kinda wished I could do 2 EPQs just to do one on CRISPR). Ethics = a big thing and perhaps exploring its origins will be important. Applications for cancer cell research, xenotransplantation, genetic disease treatment = good to look at. Be sure to explain the mechanism in detail + how they will repair the strands (there are multiple ways) after the cut. There will also be limits to its use for eg: off-target mutations.

Some tips:

Look for the most relevant of research

College lectures, books, scientific journal publications, + YT vids will be some of the resources you can refer to

Ngl, exaggerate your work. People deem science EPQs really complex and so explain that understanding scientific research is very much a work in progress for you but through the EPQ you have grown so much (very true but take credit where its due).

Keep all your resources in order and do references early on.

Remember to CRAAP test resources

Write as detailed descriptions of your work as possible in your production log. Extra points if you can show good organization skills

Hope this helps!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey, love CRISPR! A few people from my school did projects on it and got A*s. I had a whole section on CRISPR in my final essay and loved researching its potential uses (kinda wished I could do 2 EPQs just to do one on CRISPR). Ethics = a big thing and perhaps exploring its origins will be important. Applications for cancer cell research, xenotransplantation, genetic disease treatment = good to look at. Be sure to explain the mechanism in detail + how they will repair the strands (there are multiple ways) after the cut. There will also be limits to its use for eg: off-target mutations.
Some tips:

Look for the most relevant of research

College lectures, books, scientific journal publications, + YT vids will be some of the resources you can refer to

Ngl, exaggerate your work. People deem science EPQs really complex and so explain that understanding scientific research is very much a work in progress for you but through the EPQ you have grown so much (very true but take credit where its due).

Keep all your resources in order and do references early on.

Remember to CRAAP test resources

Write as detailed descriptions of your work as possible in your production log. Extra points if you can show good organization skills

Hope this helps!

Thank you sooo much...that is definitely very useful [sorry for replying so late]
Reply 3
Original post by srija08
Hello lovely people,
I am aiming for an A*

heyy,, i agree with what the comment said bellow said but im in yr 13 and i did my epq on CRISPR but target it more towards if CRISPR was a viable treatment for Beta thalassemia. I did this because CRISPR is a broad topic already and having a specific disorder may make your research more specific and indepth
Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending