The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juxtai
Congrats to everyone with offers already!

Also, if you haven't recieved an offer yet, I wouldn't get in a panic yet. I didn't recieve my last offer until the 26th March (SOAS), and my application was in well before October! Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for you all.

That's reassuring :yep:
Reply 121
Original post by Bella Occhi
Japan Exhibition at the British Museum (it's brilliant, you should visit)

The Mitsubishi Corporation Japanese Galleries, right? I went today, and you're right, it really is brilliant. I need to go a second time, but not on a Saturday; the place was a bit too crowded for my tastes. :frown:
Original post by avila
The Mitsubishi Corporation Japanese Galleries, right? I went today, and you're right, it really is brilliant. I need to go a second time, but not on a Saturday; the place was a bit too crowded for my tastes. :frown:

Yup, that's the one! Although that's strange - I went on a Saturday both times and there were only a few people. I love the samurai armour and the teahouse :love:
Reply 123
Yup, that's the one! Although that's strange - I went on a Saturday both times and there were only a few people. I love the samurai armour and the teahouse :love:

Oooh yeah, I went there last year. Loved it! I barely even glanced at any of the other exhibitions :rolleyes:
Reply 124
That's reassuring :yep:

Reassuring yes, but end of MARCH? Reallly can't wait that long! I don't care about SOAS, but waiting on Edinburgh! anyone heard from them yet? (although they're notoriously slow?)

I've been invited - at least I assume I will be once I get the letter - but I'm not going. The train fare is too expensive and if you've visited on the Open Day, it's not essential to go to this as it just gives you more in-depth and specific info about the course. Which I'm guessing will be similar to what's on the site anyway :biggrin:

Same. Trains are extortionate. And if I get a coach I leave at 4am and get back at 1am the next day (providing I don't stay overnight in Manchester which will be more expensive).... blah :P

Aww bad luck ;_; Although I think Leeds looks quite good for Japanese, better than Manchester and on a par with Sheffield in my humble opinion :holmes:

Well since they're now requiring AAA for 2012 entry (instead of the previous ABB) I'm guessing they think they're pretty good haha. Can't believe it though... a jump in 2 grades just cause I'm deffering! Blah :P Luckilly I think I'll get the grades but blah.

Original post by ussumane
you guys are scaring me...

can any of you recommend me any books?

I wrote that I visited Japan Matsuri London, that I've read Haruki Murakami's books (and enjoyed them :P even if they were in English) and also (the deciding book I think) that I have read Understanding Japanese Society by Joy Hendry... which as far as I know is a text used at undergraduate level, at least at OxBrookes.
Original post by Shuu

Well since they're now requiring AAA for 2012 entry (instead of the previous ABB) I'm guessing they think they're pretty good haha. Can't believe it though... a jump in 2 grades just cause I'm deffering! Blah :P Luckilly I think I'll get the grades but blah.

I wrote that I visited Japan Matsuri London, that I've read Haruki Murakami's books (and enjoyed them :P even if they were in English) and also (the deciding book I think) that I have read Understanding Japanese Society by Joy Hendry... which as far as I know is a text used at undergraduate level, at least at OxBrookes.

Oh my GOD, seriously!? ABB to AAA!??? O_O I feel so lucky!! Where does it say that, on the website?

Ooh I went to Matsuri as well :biggrin: I actually completely forgot to mention that in my PS xD (And yay Murakami! I like Norwegian Wood, I read Kafka on the Shore but found it very strange).
Reply 126
Oh my GOD, seriously!? ABB to AAA!??? O_O I feel so lucky!! Where does it say that, on the website?

Ooh I went to Matsuri as well :biggrin: I actually completely forgot to mention that in my PS xD (And yay Murakami! I like Norwegian Wood, I read Kafka on the Shore but found it very strange).

More Murakami fans! :smile:
Gotta say i preferred Kafka on the Shore to Norwegian Wood though, the characters are just a lot more fun i find.

I've heard Natsume S?seki is good, anyone read his stuff?
Hey guys if anyone is located near London there's a talk about Japanese Culture/Kimono/Tea Ceremony at the Westminster Library Archives, its tomorrow (17th November) if you're interested! You need to book seats but they are free!
Akemi Solloway will be presenting the lectures and demonstrations.
More Info go here ----> http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/libraries/archives/events/
YES Murakami is amazing! Did you guy's read Franz Kafka's "metamorphosis" before reading "Kafka on the Shore"? I made the mistake of reading it afterwards.. it made so much more sense after reading it haha
Jun'ichiro Tanizaki is also a favourite ^^ anybody read Sasameyuki/ The Makioka Sisters? :biggrin:

I haven't read any of Soseki's yet, but it's on my "to read" list - "I am a cat" is meant to be fantastic.

What other Japanese novels have people read?
Reply 129
Hey guys! Glad to have found this thread. I've applied for Japanese at Oxford, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle.

Original post by mmm-dorayaki
YES Murakami is amazing! Did you guy's read Franz Kafka's "metamorphosis" before reading "Kafka on the Shore"? I made the mistake of reading it afterwards.. it made so much more sense after reading it haha
Jun'ichiro Tanizaki is also a favourite ^^ anybody read Sasameyuki/ The Makioka Sisters? :biggrin:

I haven't read any of Soseki's yet, but it's on my "to read" list - "I am a cat" is meant to be fantastic.

What other Japanese novels have people read?

I Am A Cat is really good, if maybe a bit overlong as a novel. I've got Kafka on the Shore but haven't read it yet - A Wild Sheep Chase is my favourite Murakami though. Have you guys read any Mishima? :smile:
Reply 130
To everyone applying to Sheffield and want it as their firm:

Well done! You've made the right choice! Our department is actually amazing! :smile:
Reply 131
Two of my choices combine history/japanese. Would be dancing on the roof for just an offer, but with a meh-ish language gcse and no a level ones, not really hopeful lol. Only thing I have to show an ability to learn languages is that I can speak my own and english fluently.

I think I'm going to have to pump as much as I can from my love for The Tale of genji and my EPQ being about Jp. literature in my PS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by Susant
Two of my choices combine history/japanese. Would be dancing on the roof for just an offer, but with a meh-ish language gcse and no a level ones, not really hopeful lol. Only thing I have to show an ability to learn languages is that I can speak my own and english fluently.

I'm in the same position ('cept I only speak English fluently/natively! + my grades are not bad, but don't meet requirements). I really want to do Japanese & Law, which is my ideal. I doubt I'll get in anywhere, but worth a shot, I thought. "If only I applied a year or two before!", I thought. I would've had much more of a chance potentially. Alas, I wasn't sure that I really wanted to go ahead with this at the time. Meh, should've just gone for it.
Reply 133
Original post by Jazmine
I'm in the same position ('cept I only speak English fluently/natively! + my grades are not bad, but don't meet requirements). I really want to do Japanese & Law, which is my ideal. I doubt I'll get in anywhere, but worth a shot, I thought. "If only I applied a year or two before!", I thought. I would've had much more of a chance potentially. Alas, I wasn't sure that I really wanted to go ahead with this at the time. Meh, should've just gone for it.

Yeah definitely, I wish I was a bit older seeing the required grades fro previous years:colondollar:

Are you a mature student then? I'm sure if they invited you for interview you could bowl them over with your enthusiam for the subject :biggrin: I hope I can sneak into one, but the only ones lilkely to inteview on my list are Warwick and that's straight history :frown:
Reply 134
Original post by Susant
Yeah definitely, I wish I was a bit older seeing the required grades fro previous years:colondollar:

Are you a mature student then? I'm sure if they invited you for interview you could bowl them over with your enthusiam for the subject :biggrin: I hope I can sneak into one, but the only ones lilkely to inteview on my list are Warwick and that's straight history :frown:

Yeah. Well, I'll be twenty-one in February. I'm pretty sure that makes me a mature student.

S'what people keep telling me, so I hope they're right and I do get called for interview as well! It would be a shame to not get in, seeing as I have been thinking about this for a few years now.

I am kind of hoping that I could go through clearing, if worst comes to worse, as I'd sincerely hope people would've chosen other Universities as opposed to the one I want to go to, ha ha! As seeing all these very academic students makes me highly nervous. =O

Aw, x. At least there is one University that is likely to give you the time of day! Better than none - plus, you could always do Japanese via self-study, hopefully. Although good luck with all of them, of course!! I too think only one place is likely to pay any attention to me, but that's the one I want most - so I don't mind. I don't think the others will even look twice.

I hate the wait, although I appreciate the amount of applicants they probably have to sort through. =P

So, was it an interest in Japanese literature that prompted you to apply?
Original post by Susant

I think I'm going to have to pump as much as I can from my love for The Tale of genji and my EPQ being about Jp. literature in my PS.

Don't worry, I had no A level language nor GCSE language :smile: I thought i'd struggle to get an offer but i got all 5, so just show willing in your PS.

Ow3n-69

Well done! You've made the right choice! Our department is actually amazing!

I agree its awesome! All must come to Sheffield.... P.S. HIYA OWEN!
Reply 136

Yeah :/ It doesn't say on the website but that's my offer. Either it's just for me because maybe my other stuff wasn't good enough? But as far as I know it appears to be the 2012 entry requirement.
I read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which was really good, haven't got round to reading his famous ones though. TO AMAZON!

Original post by 0w3n-69

Well done! You've made the right choice! Our department is actually amazing! :smile:

Original post by Im_a_cyborg
I agree its awesome! All must come to Sheffield.... P.S. HIYA OWEN!

What's so great about it? I got an offer but haven't actually visited. :smile:
Hi everyone! :smile: I've applied to Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds and Oxford Brookes.

Got offers from Manchester, OxBro and Newcastle so far, and an acknowledgement from Sheffield. Really want an offer from them! ;_;

I'll be going to the visit day at Manchester on Friday, too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by Shuu
... But as far as I know it appears to be the 2012 entry requirement.

I've looked at all these University websites for the past three following years, sadly enough. All of them have raised their requirements by one grade up each year. I presumed that's just what Unis do. Keep raising the bar! Could be wrong though.
Original post by Shuu
What's so great about it? I got an offer but haven't actually visited. :smile:

For Japanese the teachings great, all exercises, worksheets and even listening exercises are wrote and recorded by the teachers. Structured well too, its constantly moving, especially in terms of grammar but its taught in such a way that while theres a lot of it its broken down so its easy to 'digest.' All staff are friendly, know you by name etc. Loads of choice for extra modules on east asia too. I think the department was voted best for student satisfaction at one point (don't quote me on that.) The open day shows you nothing really, when i went i met none of the first year language teachers, only teaching staff that teach mostly second years onwards. Totally different to what I expected when I started. Only other uni i looked at was Leeds though, but I chose Sheffield over them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending