The Student Room Group

Philip Allan Student Unit Guides

Hi, I'm sure many of you know of the student unit guides by Philip Allan for each unit of chemistry. I do aqa and I'm about to start a2 in Sept, jut want to get my revision guides early though as thats how I do things :p:.

I do aqa, but my problem is that I cannot find, anywhere at all, the student unit guide for A2 unit 5:colone:nergetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry, has anyone every come across it?

Reply 1
LettersFromTheSky
Hi, I'm sure many of you know of the student unit guides by Philip Allan for each unit of chemistry. I do aqa and I'm about to start a2 in Sept, jut want to get my revision guides early though as thats how I do things :p:.

I do aqa, but my problem is that I cannot find, anywhere at all, the student unit guide for A2 unit 5:colone:nergetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry, has anyone every come across it?

I had them for both unit 4 and 5 they were good and they did sometimes explain concepts such as proton nmr and transition metal chemistry in a much easier way then the standard Nelson Thornes book... Having said that the guide is limited in some aspects because it should only be used as a supplement to teacher's notes and other books e.g Nelson's and CGP guide.

And what do you know I got an A*
Orihime
I had them for both unit 4 and 5 they were good and they did sometimes explain concepts such as proton nmr and transition metal chemistry in a much easier way then the standard Nelson Thornes book... Having said that the guide is limited in some aspects because it should only be used as a supplement to teacher's notes and other books e.g Nelson's and CGP guide.

And what do you know I got an A*

Wow thats amazing, yay for your a* :biggrin: !

Yeah, for me I would use them just before exams eg recapping the main points of certain topics.

Where did you find the unit 5 one? Did you just go into your local bookshop?
Reply 3
LettersFromTheSky
Wow thats amazing, yay for your a* :biggrin: !

Yeah, for me I would use them just before exams eg recapping the main points of certain topics.

Where did you find the unit 5 one? Did you just go into your local bookshop?

I ordered it from my nearest WaterStone store but I ordered it pretty early like a month before we started unit 5 work...
Orihime
I ordered it from my nearest WaterStone store but I ordered it pretty early like a month before we started unit 5 work...

Original post by LettersFromTheSky

hey have you found the unit 5? I've been looking for it as we're going to be finishing unit 4 soon and moving on to unit 5 in jan but I was looking for the book but cant find it anywhere?!
Original post by happi_minnie
hey have you found the unit 5? I've been looking for it as we're going to be finishing unit 4 soon and moving on to unit 5 in jan but I was looking for the book but cant find it anywhere?!

I haven't :frown:. I've had a look at their catalogue cause it was at school and it didnt even say they did one :s-smilie::mad::frown:.
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
I haven't :frown:. I've had a look at their catalogue cause it was at school and it didnt even say they did one :s-smilie::mad::frown:.

dammmmnnn, they're sooo good. i went to one of their lecture thingy for revision it was soo good as well. they just went over the whole AS level in one day! heavy stuff but was so useful to review everything in one go.
Reply 8
I know this post is ancient.. But is there a chance that any of you has the Philip Allan Student Unit guide 2 for physics? :smile: I have a question so it would be lovely if you reply. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest