The Student Room Group

If England disbanded its army

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RamocitoMorales
What's ethnicity got to do with this? :lolwut:

Just making the point that the UK isnt an 'English Kingdom' at all.
Original post by Banburyhammer
Just making the point that the UK isnt an 'English Kingdom' at all.

It is. It's the Kingdom of the English Queen Elizabeth II. Remember, the English ethnicity is a mixture, just like every race, mainly from Germanic, Celtic and Nordic ancestry.
You don't need an army to launch a few guided missiles. I think we could defend ourselves well with not much of an army for a decent amount of time. Bear in mind we have Menwith Hill here too, the US Spy Base, so we're still well covered.
Reply 23
It's funny that the jingo militarists continue to spout rubbish about the need for a strong military. I don't see Iceland living in fear of invasion.

The idea that we would be invaded without an army is laughable.
Reply 24
Of course you need an army to defend Nuclear and guided missles from sneak attacks from other countries or terrorists who want to knick them.
It is. It's the Kingdom of the English Queen Elizabeth II. Remember, the English ethnicity is a mixture, just like every race, mainly from Germanic, Celtic and Nordic ancestry.

Where have you got the idea that the Act of Union was England annexing the land north of the border? The ruling family in both countries were the Stuarts, since the end of the reign of Elizabeth I in England, and were a Scottish ruling family. Both parliaments dissloved and a new Parliament of Great Britain was formed. Its not an English Kingdom, its a British one.
lol, the French, Germans and the Americans are the only ones that would have the capacity to launch an invasion of the United Kingdom and as the UK does so much trade with them, I don't know why they would.... For people who're gonna say "oh Iraq will invade us"- Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan all have either no navy or a very small one so unless their army's gonna march half across Asia, across Europe and swim across the Channel (and then overwhelm all resistance), I don't know how they're likely to be threat- they don't have the finance to do anything anyway.

That said, I don't think the army should be disbanded.
What's ethnicity got to do with this? :lolwut:

The point being made was that if anyone is a vassal to anyone, England is a vassal to Scotland.
Original post by Banburyhammer
Where have you got the idea that the Act of Union was England annexing the land north of the border? The ruling family in both countries were the Stuarts, since the end of the reign of Elizabeth I in England, and were a Scottish ruling family. Both parliaments dissloved and a new Parliament of Great Britain was formed. Its not an English Kingdom, its a British one.

Exactly, Scotland isn't Wales :teehee:
Original post by Teveth
It's funny that the jingo militarists continue to spout rubbish about the need for a strong military. I don't see Iceland living in fear of invasion.

That's because the US military is responsible for protecting Iceland. And why would anyone want to attack an Island in the middle of nowhere with no proper natural resources, a small population and no involvement in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq anyway??
The idea that without a standing army we'd be invaded without warning is absolutely ludicrous
That's only because Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are vassals of the English Kingdom.

false
Reply 32
Original post by Inzamam99
That's because the US military is responsible for protecting Iceland. And why would anyone want to attack an Island in the middle of nowhere with no proper natural resources, a small population and no involvement in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq anyway??

So who would invade England, the French? :teehee:
Reply 33
Original post by Teveth

If Iceland was invaded, as a member of NATO, we'd be bound to liberate them. However I do think it's quite shameful to rely on other countries in that way. That is why it doesn't live in fear of invasion.

Iceland, of course, was invaded in the last century when it became tactically useful.
Let's face it though, the British Army is essentially the English army.

Sure, apart from the Welsh guards, Welsh fusiliers, Royal Irish Regiment, Scots Guards, and the thousands of Scots, Welsh and Irish in other parts of the army.

Nice one. :facepalm:
Original post by Ewan
So who would invade England, the French? :teehee:

For a country to have a strong say in international affairs, a powerful military is required. And no, the French won't invade as things stand at the moment because both countries do a lot of trade with each other. But imagine in the future: Enormous rioting which may need martial law, EU economic breakdown which leds to a couple of nationalist nutcases being voted in as heads of state etc. etc.
Original post by Teveth

1) Iceland had the help of the US in regards to military. And now runs its own 'Icelandic Defence Agency'.

2) Iceland isn't powerful nation. It doesn't have many, if any enemies. Whereas the UK does.

Original post by Inzamam99
That's because the US military is responsible for protecting Iceland.

Not anymore.
(edited 13 years ago)
The UK would have quite a badass civil defence.

The invading army would arrive in London and some guys in hoodies would come along and go "blud yeah, youz not from dese streets aye?? Im gonna merk u innit" then they'd all get out their blades and shank the invaders.

Imagine trying to occupy London, Nottingham, Liverpool etc, the invading army would have no end of trouble with insurgents.
Reply 38
Original post by Teveth

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Point is you do not know the future you cannot tell me that we will not be invaded in 10 years. You say it's unlikey but you cannot say it will not happen. Sure we do not need a million men at arms but we do need an army.
Reply 39
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Not anymore.

Iceland is a member of NATO. Whilst this is not just the US, they are the major power behind the whole thing and - if Iceland was ever invaded - the NATO countries would be bound to liberate them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending