Imperial
LSE
Manchester
Warwick
Bristol
Aberdeen
Durham
Reply 2
Aberdeen? You must be kidding, the others seem reasonable. Aberdeen is at most a top 40 uni.
Original post by Poem boy
Aberdeen? You must be kidding, the others seem reasonable. Aberdeen is at most a top 40 uni.

Reply 4
This is what university league tables are for...

Guardian:

Oxford
Cambridge
Warwick
St Andrews
UCL
Lancaster
Imperial
LSE
Loughborough

Sunday Times:
Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
St Andrews
Warwick
Durham
York
LSE
Bristol

All pretty arbitrary... and none have Aberdeen in the top 10.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Svenjamin
And this is what university league tables are for...

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/

See first headline.

The rest are the 'usual suspects' as I like to call them - oxbridge, warwick, durham, edinburgh, imperial, ucl etc
1 and 2: some order of Oxford and Cambridge.
3 - 10: variable.
Reply 8
Original post by RamocitoMorales

Sorry, we can all pretend Aberdeen is in there if it'll sooth your ego?
Reply 9
Original post by Manitude

See first headline.

The rest are the 'usual suspects' as I like to call them - oxbridge, warwick, durham, edinburgh, imperial, ucl etc

Perhaps Lancaster is in the top ten of a league table but in terms of perceived reputation it is behind the red bricks like Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc

I doubt employers would prefer it over those uni's.
Original post by Manitude

See first headline.

Westminster think they're 'world class' as well. :sigh:

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/international/why-choose-westminster
Reply 11
is birmingham not among ... i thought it was since it was a russell.
oxford, cambridge, imperial college london, university college london, warwick, LSE, Bristol and durham. They're the ones I think(from what I've heard about them) should definately be up the top.

Basically its arguable about the universities between 8-15 for me, but they all have to be in the russell group, not in the russell group then not in the top 10
Original post by Eloades11
oxford, cambridge, imperial college london, university college london, warwick, LSE, Bristol and durham. They're the ones I think(from what I've heard about them) should definately be up the top.

Basically its arguable about the universities between 8-15 for me, but they all have to be in the russell group, not in the russell group then not in the top 10

Yet you've decided to list Durham in your top ten, which isn't in the Russell Group...:facepalm2:
Original post by her
in general - reputation - employability ..

I see the words in general, but you need to understand some are better for some courses. :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by TheSownRose
1 and 2: some order of Oxford and Cambridge.
3 - 10: variable.

Basically this tbqh.
*Copies list of top 10 from Guardian Rankings*
*Takes out some random uni*
*Adds in some top 40 uni I attend*
*posts*

seriously, don't even provoke the **** otherwise the thread will be hijacked on how great aberdeen is because of its amazing architecture.

My opinions: Oxford,Cambridge,UCL,LSE,Imperial,Durham,Warwick,Bristol,York and Exeter or Manchester. It really depends though, all unis have their strengths and weaknesses and it's quite a subjective matter. Prestige shouldn't really come in when choosing a university.
Original post by NGC773
*Copies list of top 10 from Guardian Rankings*
*Takes out some random uni*
*Adds in some top 40 uni I attend*
*posts*

All league tables are pretty poor, but the Guardian stands out among them as being exceptionally useless and bewildering. :facepalm:

When you've wisened up and learned a little, you'll soon realise...

Spoiler

Reply 19
Perhaps Lancaster is in the top ten of a league table but in terms of perceived reputation it is behind the red bricks like Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc

I doubt employers would prefer it over those uni's.

We/they are working on the reputation. Once employers actually realise that Lancs is in the top end of the league tables consistantly then they might value a degree from here higher.
Plus, anyone employing specifically physics graduates will probably be aware of the excellent result they obtained in the RAE a couple of years back (1st in the country. i.e. ahead of oxbridge) which can't be explained away by "it's just another league table by a newspaper"

Latest

Trending

Trending